ADVERTISEMENT

Conference USA Starts Bowl Season with a Bang

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
C-USA's sixth place team - one that beat Marshall - played the MAC's sixth place team to start the bowl season.

Buffalo ended up demolishing Charlotte 31-9.

Think of how different Marshall's and Buffalo's programs were about 15 years ago and consider how similar they are now.

Last edited:
C-USA's sixth place team - one that beat Marshall - played the MAC's sixth place team to start the bowl season.

Buffalo ended up demolishing Charlotte 31-9.

Think of how different Marshall's and Buffalo's programs were about 15 years ago and consider how similar they are now.

We are not a great football program anymore. One of the most underachieving programs in the country.

Buffalo's head coach, Lance Leipold, won 7 D3 championships in eight years at Wisconsin-Whitewater. He appears to have Buffalo moving in a nice upward direction. Perhaps he should've been hired to coach Marshall?

I watched some of the game and the thought that kept running through my mind was... "How in the name of God did we lose to this high school operation? And how did they win 7 games?"

Then I remembered CUSA is absolute garbage, so they had 4 built-in wins and we notoriously lay eggs against bad teams on the road... No need to overthink it.

Hell Kent State won their first bowl game. Using a backup QB who had a career game. How 129 programs can develop QB’s better than us is beyond me.

CBSSN and ESPN bowl programs pretty much slammed CUSA. The Marshall brand is losing ground thanks to our league.

Buffalo's head coach, Lance Leipold, won 7 D3 championships in eight years at Wisconsin-Whitewater. He appears to have Buffalo moving in a nice upward direction. Perhaps he should've been hired to coach Marshall?

This is exactly the way we should go when looking for our next coach. We don’t need a career D1 assistant or retread. Get someone young, hungry and who wants to prove something.

Reactions: johns1124
This is exactly the way we should go when looking for our next coach. We don’t need a career D1 assistant or retread. Get someone young, hungry and who wants to prove something.

It’s a huge risk taking a D3 coach. I definitely wouldn’t say it’s the exact way Marshall should go.

For the retread comment, you wouldn’t take Urban Meyer if the opportunity arose? You have to take these things on a case-by-case status. You can’t just say “He has to be a really successful D3 coach” or “can’t be an FBS retread.”

Buffalo's head coach, Lance Leipold, won 7 D3 championships in eight years at Wisconsin-Whitewater. He appears to have Buffalo moving in a nice upward direction.

Not really. He’s been consistently up and down at Buffalo. He took a 5-6 team to 5-7 the next season (down), then 2-10 (down), then 6-6 (up), then 10-4 (up), then 8-5 (down).

He isn’t doing a bad job, but he has two winning seasons out of five at UB.

The Marshall brand is losing ground thanks to our league.

I think Marshall is accomplishing that on its own regardless of C-USA compounding the issue.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Anyone see the line for tonights game?... App State is a 17.5-point favorite over UAB, who won the damn CUSA West. #CUSAgarbage

Anyone see the line for tonights game?... App State is a 17.5-point favorite over UAB, who won the damn CUSA West. #CUSAgarbage

The weird thing is they won the west, but we're actually only the third best team in the division. They got smoked by USM and had the same luck we did against La Tech with their QB and WR out. Overall I would say they were the 6th best team in the conference. They had a ridiculously easy schedule.

FAU is making this thread age soooo well...

You’re arguing that since the C-USA champ was able to beat the fifth place AAC team - one who lost three of its last five games and whose coach said before their bowl game that they aren’t the same team they were when they started 8-0 - it somehow makes the point of this thread invalid?

Brilliant.

You’re arguing that since the C-USA champ was able to beat the fifth place AAC team - one who lost three of its last five games and whose coach said before their bowl game that they aren’t the same team they were when they started 8-0 - it somehow makes the point of this thread invalid?

Brilliant.

Considering how terrible CUSA is, I'll take it.
While I'd prefer to have a real coach say, "brilliant" I'll accept your Walmart level praise.

Considering how terrible CUSA is, I'll take it.
While I'd prefer to have a real coach say, "brilliant" I'll accept your Walmart level praise.

It was sarcasm. Any coach saying "brilliant" to you would have been sarcasm. Your attempt is void of any logic, just like most of your posts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT