ADVERTISEMENT

Conferences re-examining moving football to next Spring

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
A lot of the writing done on ESPN.com is pretty shoddy, but this is solid... In-depth, lots of sources. Good stuff.

If you aren't in for a long read, the summary is that conference admins, AD's, tv people, bowl committees, etc. are all looking into moving college football to the spring... Basically they know they have a month to make a decision one way or another. And with how things are going in Florida, South Carolina, Texas, Arizona and California, it looks doubtful that football will be played in those states on Sept. 1.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...eason-coronavirus-impacted-schedule-look-like

I listen to ESPN radio every day (which is my own fault), and I think sometimes that they talk about sports happening next week just so they have something to talk about next week when sports get moved to the following week. I can't imagine those guys don't realize what's happening, especially after the Ivy League made their decision to move the season.

- I, for one, have no desire to see football outside of football season, nor any any of the other already rescheduled things. Either grow a pair and play ball or just see you next fall.

- As the NCAA makes its $$ off the basketball tournament (which it owns) and not football (which it does not) and it is a kind of democracy with every school getting one vote, including the 100s of non-football schools and the plenty of basketball is bigger places (UK, IU, etc) I don't see them signing off on this.

- The TV world is pretty full with, umm, spring sports in the, umm, spring.

- But most importantly, if a player has any designs on playing in the NFL they would be a fool to play in the spring. Shut it down and work on the combine, pro days, and such.

Reactions: johns1124
– I don't love the idea of Spring football either, especially if it is going to directly compete with basketball for TV sets.

– The question becomes, does the NCAA think basketball season is going to happen?... If so, then Im sure they would do everything they could to say no to spring football. If basketball is not going to happen in Oct/Nov then they may be all for moving football to spring.

– There are plenty of channels and online outlets to show as many football games as can be played. The big conferences all have their own networks and everyone has deals with streaming services, Facebook, ESPN3, Stadium, etc.

– You are right about guys with 1st round potential (guaranteed money) not wanting to play in the spring. Would be interesting to see how many would choose to sit out a college season to prep for the draft. My guess would be no more than 50 (albeit potentially the 50 best players).

Moving football and all fall sports to the spring would be a nightmare for schools and AD’s. Trying to organize travel schedules for fall/spring multiple teams going to multiple locations would be a logistical nightmare.
Not sure if can be done without great cost and tons of manpower to implement.

- I, for one, have no desire to see football outside of football season, nor any any of the other already rescheduled things. Either grow a pair and play ball or just see you next fall.

- As the NCAA makes its $$ off the basketball tournament (which it owns) and not football (which it does not) and it is a kind of democracy with every school getting one vote, including the 100s of non-football schools and the plenty of basketball is bigger places (UK, IU, etc) I don't see them signing off on this.

- The TV world is pretty full with, umm, spring sports in the, umm, spring.

- But most importantly, if a player has any designs on playing in the NFL they would be a fool to play in the spring. Shut it down and work on the combine, pro days, and such.

Essentially now, Sam, you should know by now that when it comes to FBS college football the 65 "Power" schools, specifically their Presidents and Athletic Directors, call ALL the shots and make ALL the major decisions about the games, when, where and how played, etc. The NCAA? Well, it is essentially a complete EUNUCH when it comes to college football! It's only purpose or function in today's world is to put some FCS or lowly G5 program on probation whenever an infraction turns up in the programs in Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, Columbus and the like! To maintain the appearance of power, authority, and competence, if you will, while really not having and exhibiting any of said traits in the real world.

What sort of a season are you going to have in the spring? A full season of football is going to mess up the offseason and recruiting periods for the next season (assuming 2021's kickoff is around the start of September).
Plus, as said, the NFL draft is going to deter some of the best talent from playing to begin with.

Would they play a shortened season in the Spring? Maybe a conference schedule with some sort of ranking criteria at the end to determine who finishes where?

An article in The Athletic interviewed agents and they said several of the top prospects are weighing whether to go ahead and sign in the next month, thinking why risk injury for a fall season that may not even be completed. But the article also pointed out that the NFL and agents would really like the extra data points that even a partial season would provide on these players, and also that it would cost the agents a LOT more to house & train signees for 4-5 extra months. A lot of uncertainty for everyone to think through.

Some states have already announced that high school football is being postponed to the spring. I won't be surprised to see college football take the same approach. If they do, they do. Watching football in the spring is better than waiting until August 2021.

If the NCAA has to decide on scrapping football or interfere with the Big Dance, then hoops will win. The NCAA adds millions to its coffers with basketball tournament revenue. Keep in mind that the NCAA doe not own the FBS playoffs like they do the basketball tournament.

If the NCAA has to decide on scrapping football or interfere with the Big Dance, then hoops will win. The NCAA adds millions to its coffers with basketball tournament revenue. Keep in mind that the NCAA doe not own the FBS playoffs like they do the basketball tournament.
But the NCAA can't really control what schools like Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson do. To them, those football tv contracts are WAY more valuable than money they receive from the NCAA basketball tournament. And it isn't particularly close.

Reactions: johns1124
But the NCAA can't really control what schools like Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson do. To them, those football tv contracts are WAY more valuable than money they receive from the NCAA basketball tournament. And it isn't particularly close.

If the idea is to play the season in the spring, that should give everyone 5 months, at the very least, to plan. Yes, I understand the argument that many athletic staffs will be stretched and strained by playing football in the spring, but it's better than missing out all together.

Bad idea that has way more ripple effects than anyone cares to discuss. If you can’t play in the fall, shut it down until the next regular season can start

Bad idea that has way more ripple effects than anyone cares to discuss. If you can’t play in the fall, shut it down until the next regular season can start

There are no good options.
I would tend to agree that shutting CFB down until next August is the least bad option, especially probably for the CUSA if there are no 'buy' games available. (The SEC & ACC are in talks about filling out their OOC schedules with each other, if they play...)

But would the NCAA allow the G5's, FCS. D-II & D-III redshirt-free athletic 'gap-years' if many of us dennisons of the non-P5's cannot/will not play FB?

Doesn't matter who they fill the OOC schedule with, it's still a group of players vs a group of players taking a chance on virus

ADVERTISEMENT