ADVERTISEMENT

Correction

A national championship is a national championship.

Ask 100 people “who won the national championship in football”and, even in Fargo, 99 will say “LSU”. Without looking it up, nobody can tell you who won the lower division championships in any sport, and outside of their fan bases, nobody really cares. “He was on the NAIA basketball national champions back in 15” is something they say during a lull in the action. Nothing more.

I could start a thread and say “Texas Tech won the national championship last year” and all the anti-Doc crew would jump right on me, as they always do and gleefully tell me it was Virginia. But not even our resident mental defective would not say, “no, it was Northwest Missouri State” or “it was Wisconsin-Oshkosh” or “it was Georgetown of Kentucky”.

Ask 100 people “who won the national championship in football”and, even in Fargo, 99 will say “LSU”. Without looking it up, nobody can tell you who won the lower division championships in any sport, and outside of their fan bases, nobody really cares. “He was on the NAIA basketball national champions back in 15” is something they say during a lull in the action. Nothing more.

I could start a thread and say “Texas Tech won the national championship last year” and all the anti-Doc crew would jump right on me, as they always do and gleefully tell me it was Virginia. But not even our resident mental defective would not say, “no, it was Northwest Missouri State” or “it was Wisconsin-Oshkosh” or “it was Georgetown of Kentucky”.
Ask me who the national champion was in 1992 and 1996 and I'll tell you it was good ole Marshall U.

"I was like, man, we can't lose," Thaddeus said of his thoughts when the Tigers were trailing by 10 in the first half. "A Moss finally has to win something."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...s-moss-gives-dad-randy-win-family-waiting-for

I agree with GreenDuke. The general public doesn't pay any attention to the 1AA championships and consider them below even the most minor bowl game.
His sister started at Florida as a true freshman, then transferred to a D3 and won a few national championships there too.

After a few years go by, unless you are a sports statistics nut, few remember the champions of any college sport in any class. Without looking it up, what school was the Div. 1 NCAA football champ in 1983? What about 2001? Or 2010?

I have no idea and really don't care. Of course I am a live for the moment kind of guy.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
His sister started at Florida as a true freshman, then transferred to a D3 and won a few national championships there too.
Her championships were nullified due to her being an illegal player under the NCAA rules of transfer, etc.

Reactions: GreenDuke
Her championships were nullified due to her being an illegal player under the NCAA rules of transfer, etc.
You don't think Kentucky still counts their championships? The schools and fans still count them. Nobody remembers probation

Reactions: The Real SamC
"I was like, man, we can't lose," Thaddeus said of his thoughts when the Tigers were trailing by 10 in the first half. "A Moss finally has to win something."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...s-moss-gives-dad-randy-win-family-waiting-for

I agree with GreenDuke. The general public doesn't pay any attention to the 1AA championships and consider them below even the most minor bowl game.

Then why in the hell do people think MU should move down to said, unrecognized or at least barely recognized, level of football?

Ask 100 people “who won the national championship in football”and, even in Fargo, 99 will say “LSU”. Without looking it up, nobody can tell you who won the lower division championships in any sport, and outside of their fan bases, nobody really cares.
You are usually pretty safe guessing Mount Union won the Div III title.

First time I watched "We Are Marshall," I cringed when the claim we'd won two national championships came up and they didn't specify they were I-AA.

I personally think Marshall fans are doing themselves a disservice when they compare what MU won to what LSU just won. It might be fun to pretend Marshall has previously been one of the best college football teams in the country, but reality is always going to smack you in the face for believing that.

Espn announcer told Thaddeus Moss that he had accomplished something that his dad never did. Wrong! Randy was a national champion at Marshall in 1996, albeit 1AA. A national championship is a national championship.

You should go to the LSU board, post this, and see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT