ADVERTISEMENT

Could ESPN College Game Day be at the ECU vs Marshall Game?

Considering the Democrat Governor in NC just told the RNC they would have to have a scaled back convention in Charlotte In August, I don't see a big event in Greenville happening.

Reactions: The Real SamC
And for the record: I’m not in favor of Gameday for anything anniversary/crash related. Hate the idea, actually.
I don't hate the idea, in its entirety. Being the 50th "anniversary", and if something was done for remembrance and in a somber manner, I would be good with it. Maybe have the set, but no one around besides the TV personalities and some interviews with Marshall folks. Have Chad, Byron, Randy, Pruett, Dawson, or maybe some others talk about the importance of remembering what happened.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Heck, I believe the Game Day folks have been at FCS James Madison at least twice. MU? Keep dreaming. Just another "measure" of how irrelevant Herd Athletics has become and is here in 2020!!

How so? Let what go?

In the crudest possible terms: a 50-year-old aviation disaster. I have to explain, this comes from the perspective where when I was in school (turn of the century), all MU did was the fountain ceremonies; there was hardly any push to market the plane crash. Then in 2006, Warner Brothers released "We Are Marshall," and what's followed since has been a mixed bag of what felt like tasteful remembrances of lives lost and sometimes not-so-tasteful commercialization of a now-distant tragedy.

It's been my hope that the 50th anniversary would mark the point where we kind of put this thing back to bed. "We Are Marshall" is a 14-year-old movie at this point, we've had a good run, now let's show the dead some respect and keep the tributes internal from here on out. Keep doing the fountain ceremony, but stop trying to have a "plane crash game" every year.

Let’s let 9/11 go. Let’s let July 4th go. Hell let Easter and Christmas go too
Perfect illustration of my point - the plane crash has almost religious significance among some Marshall fans, even those who have no personal connection to the tragedy. For a surprising number of folks I've met over the years, without the plane crash, there is no Marshall football, which is irony at its absolute worst.

In the crudest possible terms: a 50-year-old aviation disaster. I have to explain, this comes from the perspective where when I was in school (turn of the century), all MU did was the fountain ceremonies; there was hardly any push to market the plane crash. Then in 2006, Warner Brothers released "We Are Marshall," and what's followed since has been a mixed bag of what felt like tasteful remembrances of lives lost and sometimes not-so-tasteful commercialization of a now-distant tragedy.

It's been my hope that the 50th anniversary would mark the point where we kind of put this thing back to bed. "We Are Marshall" is a 14-year-old movie at this point, we've had a good run, now let's show the dead some respect and keep the tributes internal from here on out. Keep doing the fountain ceremony, but stop trying to have a "plane crash game" every year.
Perfect illustration of my point - the plane crash has almost religious significance among some Marshall fans, even those who have no personal connection to the tragedy. For a surprising number of folks I've met over the years, without the plane crash, there is no Marshall football, which is irony at its absolute worst.
Amen, brother.

I wish it could just be a part of the story, instead of the first and last thing anyone wants to talk about. I've gotten almost uncomfortable with how ridiculous it's gotten commercialized.

Honest question What’s been commercialized besides the movie? Like it or not the plane crash and Marshall and Huntington are intertwined. People wishing for game day isn’t commercialization it’s a way to tell our story. We should all want to do that

This is just my opinion, but using the plane crash as a context for Marshall to have an alternate uniform has always been uncomfortable for me. Lots of schools have introduced alternate black uniforms as a promotional element, typically for the aesthetic; Marshall is the only school I know of to do it under the auspices that it was connected to an airline tragedy, and that the black in the uniform represents death, loss and mourning.

To Mr. Hammond's point, its the first and last thing people want to talk about when it comes to Marshall, I believe owed in large part to the dissolution of having any other context for Marshall football. Realignment has relegated us back to I-AA, we have lost all of our regional rivalries, and the series with WVU went as badly as could have been imagined, culminating in them refusing to play us in sports anymore. It's hard to find a rallying point, something to give the intense fandom context and purpose, so I suppose this has sufficed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elkview
sometimes not-so-tasteful commercialization of a now-distant tragedy.

How is it commercialized? Please, give examples? When I went to MU (Before the turn of the Century), we also had Fountain
Ceremonies. Except no one would have known about it if they didn't stumble upon it (like I did) or read a pamphlet posted all round campus.
I went before the Iphone and Email era.

stop trying to have a "plane crash game" every year.

I don't think we do. Do we? I have never seen a MU game on Facebook,TV, CBS, or otherwise and the announcers say: "
This is the plane crash game".

religious significance among some Marshall fans,

It's Huntington, an older community with not much more to do. They treat MU like most bigger municipalities treat their
Professional teams, although; most have never taken any classes at MU. It's what they do, makes them feel important.

I would think if the families of the victims indicated to MU that they felt the memory of the crash and players was getting too commercialized or distorted in any way, MU would drop all functions/mentions (except fountain ceremonies) related to the crash in a heartbeat. jmho

This is just my opinion, but using the plane crash as a context for Marshall to have an alternate uniform has always been uncomfortable for me. Lots of schools have introduced alternate black uniforms as a promotional element, typically for the aesthetic; Marshall is the only school I know of to do it under the auspices that it was connected to an airline tragedy, and that the black in the uniform represents death, loss and mourning.

To Mr. Hammond's point, its the first and last thing people want to talk about when it comes to Marshall, I believe owed in large part to the dissolution of having any other context for Marshall football. Realignment has relegated us back to I-AA, we have lost all of our regional rivalries, and the series with WVU went as badly as could have been imagined, culminating in them refusing to play us in sports anymore. It's hard to find a rallying point, something to give the intense fandom context and purpose, so I suppose this has sufficed.
So changing the Jersey is commercialization? It’s a huge part of the Marshall story. There is nothing wrong with celebrating/memorializing that event. It’s done tastefully and with the utmost respect.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I would think if the families of the victims indicated to MU that they felt the memory of the crash and players was getting too commercialized or distorted in any way, MU would drop all functions/mentions (except fountain ceremonies) related to the crash in a heartbeat. jmho
During the filming of "We Are Marshall," anonymous family members left notes at the Radisson for the crew asking them to stop, saying that the film was re-opening a wound they didn't want to revisit, much less see dramatized. That's always stuck with me.

So changing the Jersey is commercialization? It’s a huge part of the Marshall story. There is nothing wrong with celebrating/memorializing that event. It’s done tastefully and with the utmost respect.
Again, we were probably ten years behind the trend that swept ubiquitously through college football to have a "sweet black alternate uni," and the only one to tie it to a tragic event or say the black symbolized grief, and not "cool" or "bad guy."

We did it over four decades after the tragedy it was meant to commemorate.

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperAnjario
I don't think we do. Do we? I have never seen a MU game on Facebook,TV, CBS, or otherwise and the announcers say: "
This is the plane crash game".
Every year since 2016, Marshall has worn black jerseys and "75" helmets once a season, on whatever home date is closest to November 14th, in a game promoted as commemorating the plane crash. This game does not always fall on the 14th, come against an opponent who has anything to do with the 1970 tragedy, and has commemorated the 47th, 48th and 49th years since the tragedy, respectively.

When they do it this year, it will be the first time they've done it in a year where it at least sorta made sense.

Reactions: i am herdman
During the filming of "We Are Marshall," anonymous family members left notes at the Radisson for the crew asking them to stop, saying that the film was re-opening a wound they didn't want to revisit, much less see dramatized. That's always stuck with me.

Hadn’t heard that. Interesting.

And there were countless others that were happy the story was being told. Red Dawson comes to mind as a person the movie helped.

Reactions: Herd1972
I see Game Day going to Las Vegas that day to the brand new Allegiant Stadium that will be the first game played there for Cal vs UNLV

And there were countless others that were happy the story was being told. Red Dawson comes to mind as a person the movie helped.

As we're learning from the COVID-19 pandemic and the current social turmoil, the number of people not negatively affected by a thing doesn't decide whether or not it matters that some folks are.

The ECU alumni I talk with at the major donor level love this game and eastern NC is indeed needing a boost as they are almost identical to our position with the P5 schools in that State!

Show the dead some respect? The people who died on that plane were either directly involved with the football team or big donors who loved the program. Knowing that, I'm guessing none of them would protest to Marshall recognizing their lives, the disaster, and even using these remembrances to help move the program forward by earning revenue from it.

If I passed, I would have no problem with things that I love being able to prosper somehow from it, and I can't imagine any of them would be against Marshall doing the same.

Show the dead some respect? The people who died on that plane were either directly involved with the football team or big donors who loved the program. Knowing that, I'm guessing none of them would protest to Marshall recognizing their lives, the disaster, and even using these remembrances to help move the program forward by earning revenue from it.

If I passed, I would have no problem with things that I love being able to prosper somehow from it, and I can't imagine any of them would be against Marshall doing the same.
If you pass that locker is still going to cost somebody 3 grand.

Reactions: johns1124
I have never viewed any of the memorial events as commercialization, more of a tribute, an honoring of those that lost their lives while representing the school. I think this ECU game and whatever happens in November will be remembrances. Different people deal with grief differently, so I would assume that some family members do try to avoid having those feelings accented. Others probably desire that no one ever forgets their loss. Just don't try to sell me anything that isn't honoring those 75. The movie was a commercial effort, and inevitably some people used it for their own purposes. To me, it was an opportunity to tell a story that needed to be told. When I think about the not too distant future when all of the siblings, parents, children, and friends of those 75 have rejoined them, along with my Young Herd friends, the world will no longer have living memories of those 75 and all of the events that happened. So for now, those of us that wish to respect them and grieve their loss, have these days to recall them, the happy and sad times.

Blah blah blah I talk to the dead like the kid from the Sixth Sense

I'm not implying we should show respect for the dead - that station was three stops ago and we blew right past it. I'm suggestion Marshall folks stop dragging a half-century-passed airline tragedy from year to year, trying to milk it for some sort of context to add to a late-season C-USA tilt on Stadium Facebook. Within the fanbase, its religion, but to anybody outside it, it comes off awkward and more than a little weird.

Every year since 2016, Marshall has worn black jerseys and "75" helmets once a season, on whatever home date is closest to November 14th, in a game promoted as commemorating the plane crash. This game does not always fall on the 14th, come against an opponent who has anything to do with the 1970 tragedy, and has commemorated the 47th, 48th and 49th years since the tragedy, respectively.

When they do it this year, it will be the first time they've done it in a year where it at least sorta made sense.

I disagree with this to an extent.

I think the commentators often speak of MU, at any game outside of the November crash date a little too often. Perhaps thats on MU submitting to them their "talking points" or the network/commentators being lazy. It would be nice to have MU desctibed by its growth and academics too...an updated set of talking points.
But it seems that, literally every game no matter what, the crash is spoken about when it doesn't have to be.
But...
Wearing a special emblem on your helmet and a uniform for 1 game that has some merit beyond a fashion/social trend, carries more weight to it.
Everyone wore black uniforms for "special games" usually, for a major TV audience and big opponent. Okay, cool.

MU wears theirs for an event that actually happened, and in effect, unifies the team/school/city. Then, they don't wear them again for a whole year.

There's nothing wrong with that.
If anything, the commercialization of all black uniforms and apparel by fans, does not even apply to MU. It actually means something.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT