ADVERTISEMENT

Covid reality...a Facebook timeline.

GK4Herd

Aug 5, 2001
I really don’t mean this to be political so don’t take it that way. We read about people dying and we see the numbers but there’s nothing that awakens you to reality more than this stuff hitting people you know.

I’ve worked with a man the last six or seven years that was a band director in my school. He was irreverent, intelligent, and fun to be around. His wife was on the front line of the Covid battle as a nurse. She contracted Covid and in turn gives it to one of her two daughter and to my coworker. He kept us updated with Facebook posts. There were updates on the school staff site as well. I thought I’d share those updated because I find it a stark reminder of the reality of this virus that we’re hopefully on the verge of turning the corner on.

I’ll change the names for privacy’s sake...

January 1st:

“Covid update: feels like a mild case of the flu. Ironic that feeling that bad could be a good thing.

**** (wife) is in icu. They’re working to avoid intubation. That’s ventilator, for us non med-speak types. She’s exhausted, from the stress of the disease.

“Please forgive me for not answering comments and replies. Mild flu is still flu-like. Bleah.”

January 2nd:

“Sitting in the easy chair with a Springer puppy and a Dachshund on my lap. The Lions Club are discussing who gets to make a grocery/medication run to leave on the front porch. I feel loved.”

January 2nd:

“Double viral pneumonia. Critical. Pray.”

January 8th (school Facebook site):

“I talked to **** this evening. He is still home and recovering but extremely weak. Their daughter is still on oxygen. His wife, ****, is waiting for a bed to open at UK so she can have an ecmo bed. They most definitely could still use our prayers!!”

January 11:

Health update, 1/11/21

As of noon, today, **** is in icu at UK hospital. Double-pneumonia with covid. She is on a vent, and they want to improve her kidney function. She is sedated, in order to synch her breathing with the vent. Her oxygen feed has been reduced some, and her blood ox levels are in the 90’s. Temperature normal. Feeding tube permission has been given, as has dialysis permission, should it become necessary. Permission has been given for a brachioscope look into her lungs, also should that be necessary. She is being moved into and out of prone position. She is in an “ecmo” bed.

**** (daughter) was released from her five-day stay on the covid floor, and is currently in her room, firmly attached to an oxygen machine. She does not have to quarantine herself, since I got it, too. She is moving like a tired old woman.

I have a slight fever and a nagging cough. Hydration is a necessary chore, appetite is pretty much not there, and a blind newborn kitten could take me four falls out of five without breaking a sweat. We’re talking walk twenty feet and sit down for a while weak. I have to break down the walk from the easy chair to the refrigerator and back into three sections.

Vampires, vacuum cleaners, and covid-19: three things that define suckage. Anybody who claims that this thing is not real needs to be horsewhipped out of their fantasy world. Unless you’ve had it, you have no idea.”

January 13;

“Health update 1/13/21

The news from Lexington icu is very bad. They have ‘maxed out’ every treatment they can, and
***** (wife) condition continues to deteriorate. **** (daughter) is going to Lexington tonight, to hug her mama.

***** (daughter) is still weak and on oxygen. Feeling marginally better.

I have a cough, no energy, and twice, today, a nosebleed. I do not live, right now. I exist

God Bless us all.”

Today:

****(second daughter) is on her way to Lexington. The head icu doctor said she can get in to ****(wife).. **** (daughter) and I will FaceTime while she’s there, so we can be together one last time. Two doctors have called me. They aren’t sure **** can last until **** gets there.

My neighbor where I grew up had it. I was worried about him because he got pneumonia with it and is mid 70's But, he made it. and he just traveled on a plane again. Two guys I work with had it. I know some other young guys that had it. One of our golf buddies got it. All varying degrees of complications.

My thoughts are with you and especially your friend and his family, GK. You’re absolutely right in that until you are either personally affected by it or see it play out right in front of you like this then it’s a remarkably foreign concept. Covid is real and many are finding out the hard way.

Counting down the days until we can all be microchipped, err ... I mean vaccinated.

One of my daughters has it right now. The most helpless part is we can’t be with her to help.

Both of my sons and their wives had it. One son lives next door, the other in N C. I could be with one son as we had it at the same time, but the other I couldn't. So far all of us have recovered. I started symptoms Nov 30/Dec 1. I spent 2 weeks in bed except for going to the bathroom, I had zero appetite and lived on Pediasure, grapefruit, and water. Went from 155 lbs to 140 in about 19 days. I consider my case as a mild/moderate case. No trouble breathing, no cough, mild temperature 2-3 days, no body aches, no headaches. Was super weak and would become fatigued walking into the adjoining room. Just the thought of eating most food would make me nauseous. And I lost most of my sense of balance. Fell hard once. Here it is the 13th of Jan and I still have some weakness and little stamina. You don't want the crudvid.
Hope your daughters get well soon.

I hope they all make a full recovery. The below is a post from one of my former coworkers.

I’ve been quiet about this because I’ve been super sick, but damn I’m tired of the “But 99.99% of people survive so I don’t need a mask!”

On December 3, despite months and months and months of isolation to the absolute detriment of my mental health and masking and not seeing my family and friends (and when I did see them, remaining socially distanced, unless I knew they had been as safe as me), I tested positive for COVID, due to someone else entering my bubble by way of someone else.

Initially, my symptoms felt like a cold - chest tightness, loss of taste/smell, fatigue. Less than a week later, I was at the ER because my breathing had significantly deteriorated. Thankfully, I was sent home with steroids and started feeling a little better.

But after another week or so, I was not improving and started running really high temps (upwards to 105). My breathing got worse. I was having to take such short, shallow breaths, **** was checking on me in the mornings to see if I was still alive.

On December 15, I was told by a worried friend to go to urgent care. She believed I had developed pneumonia because I was not improving one iota. She was correct. I had bilateral pneumonia and my lungs were so bad, the X-ray tech audibly gasped. My oxygen was low. I could not speak in full sentences without taking breaths about every two or three words. Urgent care sent me straight to the ER.

The ER was PACKED. Despite having COVID, pneumonia and low oxygen, I was kept in the waiting room for close to 5 hours (I think - time is foggy now). I was surrounded by elderly people. I kept informing people that I had COVID because I didn’t want to accidentally infect someone. I was masked, but many of them had oxygen on so couldn’t be masked properly. It was scary. I was finally taken back - but was given no meds and was sent home because my oxygen was at 90-92% and needed to be at 88% to be admitted. The next morning, my doctor called in meds. They helped get over the pneumonia.

I am now dealing with some heart issues. My pulse races. It never goes below 100 anymore, even when I’m just lying in bed. Walking to the bathroom takes me to 120 and something as simple as a shower puts me in the 150s. Thankfully, all tests have come back clear, however I cannot currently walk further than 30-ish feet without having to sit and take a break and allow my heart rate to get back under control.

The fatigue is astounding. Any amount of activity knocks me out. This morning, I cleaned my nightstand and was exhausted for the remainder of the day. A shower can have me in bed for 5-6 hours. I haven’t worked in 5 weeks and just got another 3 weeks tacked on. I can now do two trips up and down the stairs, but it has taken me 5 weeks to handle two trips and they absolutely cannot be back to back. I cannot shower and then go immediately down the stairs. Everything has to be carefully planned out now so that I have time to space activities out. What used to take me 30 minutes can now take twice that because I have to allow myself time to sit and rest between activities to get my breathing back under control and allow my heart rate to settle.

I was a healthy 48-year old woman. I had energy and could work long hours on my feet. Now, I can stand for around 5 minutes before needing to sit. My hands shake. I get short of breath talking too much. My joints ache. I have frequent headaches. I’m tired all the time in ways I’ve never experienced before. I still cannot take a deep enough breath to use the inhaler the doc prescribed me. I occasionally still run random low-grade fevers for seemingly no good reason. Someone asked me for someone’s last name recently and I couldn’t remember it. This is someone very close to me - I had to look it up on Facebook. Cognitively, has it affected me?

I don’t tell you this to whine. I don’t need pity. I need you to hear me - an older body, someone with lung issues, someone with pre-existing heart issues? Those bodies would likely not survive what my body has been through these last 5 weeks. I honestly believe that the ONLY reason I am still alive is because I had a healthy body to begin with. Sure, many people survive this. Others around me bounced back quickly. But I am still here recovering so frustratingly slowly. Will I have long term damage? That remains to be seen. Will I be a “long-hauler“? That seems likely, based on how slowly I am recovering.

Wear your masks. Avoid gatherings. Don’t think that anyone outside of your bubble is safe, not right now. It’s not worth the risk. Folks, you do not want this. It’s miserable.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

My dad, who is 74, contracted and nearly died from Covid-19. Was in the ICU for 12 days. Narrowly avoided being intubated but it was touch and go for awhile. He did receive an antibody plasma transfusion and a full course of remdesivir.

Although he’s relatively old he was very healthy before he got sick. 5’10”, 145 pounds; exercised daily and ate extremely well.

Two months after his original diagnosis he still only weighs 125 pounds, is on oxygen 24/7 and can hardly walk.

This virus is a real mothertrucker.

I hope they all make a full recovery. The below is a post from one of my former coworkers.

I’ve been quiet about this because I’ve been super sick, but damn I’m tired of the “But 99.99% of people survive so I don’t need a mask!”

On December 3, despite months and months and months of isolation to the absolute detriment of my mental health and masking and not seeing my family and friends (and when I did see them, remaining socially distanced, unless I knew they had been as safe as me), I tested positive for COVID, due to someone else entering my bubble by way of someone else.

Initially, my symptoms felt like a cold - chest tightness, loss of taste/smell, fatigue. Less than a week later, I was at the ER because my breathing had significantly deteriorated. Thankfully, I was sent home with steroids and started feeling a little better.

But after another week or so, I was not improving and started running really high temps (upwards to 105). My breathing got worse. I was having to take such short, shallow breaths, **** was checking on me in the mornings to see if I was still alive.

On December 15, I was told by a worried friend to go to urgent care. She believed I had developed pneumonia because I was not improving one iota. She was correct. I had bilateral pneumonia and my lungs were so bad, the X-ray tech audibly gasped. My oxygen was low. I could not speak in full sentences without taking breaths about every two or three words. Urgent care sent me straight to the ER.

The ER was PACKED. Despite having COVID, pneumonia and low oxygen, I was kept in the waiting room for close to 5 hours (I think - time is foggy now). I was surrounded by elderly people. I kept informing people that I had COVID because I didn’t want to accidentally infect someone. I was masked, but many of them had oxygen on so couldn’t be masked properly. It was scary. I was finally taken back - but was given no meds and was sent home because my oxygen was at 90-92% and needed to be at 88% to be admitted. The next morning, my doctor called in meds. They helped get over the pneumonia.

I am now dealing with some heart issues. My pulse races. It never goes below 100 anymore, even when I’m just lying in bed. Walking to the bathroom takes me to 120 and something as simple as a shower puts me in the 150s. Thankfully, all tests have come back clear, however I cannot currently walk further than 30-ish feet without having to sit and take a break and allow my heart rate to get back under control.

The fatigue is astounding. Any amount of activity knocks me out. This morning, I cleaned my nightstand and was exhausted for the remainder of the day. A shower can have me in bed for 5-6 hours. I haven’t worked in 5 weeks and just got another 3 weeks tacked on. I can now do two trips up and down the stairs, but it has taken me 5 weeks to handle two trips and they absolutely cannot be back to back. I cannot shower and then go immediately down the stairs. Everything has to be carefully planned out now so that I have time to space activities out. What used to take me 30 minutes can now take twice that because I have to allow myself time to sit and rest between activities to get my breathing back under control and allow my heart rate to settle.

I was a healthy 48-year old woman. I had energy and could work long hours on my feet. Now, I can stand for around 5 minutes before needing to sit. My hands shake. I get short of breath talking too much. My joints ache. I have frequent headaches. I’m tired all the time in ways I’ve never experienced before. I still cannot take a deep enough breath to use the inhaler the doc prescribed me. I occasionally still run random low-grade fevers for seemingly no good reason. Someone asked me for someone’s last name recently and I couldn’t remember it. This is someone very close to me - I had to look it up on Facebook. Cognitively, has it affected me?

I don’t tell you this to whine. I don’t need pity. I need you to hear me - an older body, someone with lung issues, someone with pre-existing heart issues? Those bodies would likely not survive what my body has been through these last 5 weeks. I honestly believe that the ONLY reason I am still alive is because I had a healthy body to begin with. Sure, many people survive this. Others around me bounced back quickly. But I am still here recovering so frustratingly slowly. Will I have long term damage? That remains to be seen. Will I be a “long-hauler“? That seems likely, based on how slowly I am recovering.

Wear your masks. Avoid gatherings. Don’t think that anyone outside of your bubble is safe, not right now. It’s not worth the risk. Folks, you do not want this. It’s miserable.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

The people I know who have had it all say that the fatigue is off the chart.

I can give you the rundown of the people that I know had COVD

Old neighbor mid 70's in wv, had thyrod cancer and skin cancer previously and heart issue, got it and then got pneumonia. Knocked him down two to three weeks. Recovered somehow and he just hopped a plane to go to Florida for a few wekes. Not sure how he did but he did.

His wife got it and she has asthma and she had no symptoms other than the positive test.

Service tech at work got it. He said he didn't know until he couldn't taste one night. Said oh shit. Lost his taste and smell for 2-5 days and says he still has that happen periodically but other than cold symptoms he never had other issues. His wife never got it and was right there with him. He is 50 and pretty healthy other than he drinks whiskey every day.

One of our sales reps got it. He had a very bad cough for two weeks and laid him up for about 3 days he said it sucked but is better know. He had a terrible cough and flu like for about a week he said. He is mid 50's and healthy.

3 of my sons roomates had it in GA No symptoms, got tested. I was there with them the week before hanging out. My son never got tested, pretty sure he had it. They are all 20's very healthy. One of them ran 5 miles the day he got his positive test back. I got back and had a sore throat a week later before they knew they had it. Doc never tested me and said I had strep and put me on a z pack. Who knows. That was this summer. Had blisters in my throat and no temp. He said don't think you have the virus. Take this z pack and if it doesn't kick it 3 days call me. It kicked it so his guess it was bacterial strep.

One of our golf buddies got it. late 50's has had two heart attacks. Smokes weed every day. Said he had a bad cold like symptom and put him in bed for two days. Lost his taste and smell. Sick for 7-10 days.

The mystery is this thing does different things to people. Anybody's guess. Nobody can figure it out.

I probably have gone more places and been around more people than a lot. Been lucky so far. Hopping a plane this weekend. Been around a lot of young people who you know are not that careful. I can't explain it. I don't get near a lot of people though. Or try not to.

I have theories about this disease and have heard some things. I will keep that to myself. I find it hard to believe some dude just ate a monkey and now all this....bull shit

Last edited:
By the way: if you’ve had COVID and made a full recovery (like me) PLEASE consider donating your plasma.

I would be interested in that, but my understanding is you must have had a prior diagnosis of COVID-19 documented by a laboratory test. I tested negative a day or 2 after I started showing symptoms.
ios-10-shrug-emoji.0.png

That was my biggest symptom. That and a complete loss of smell. The smell loss was what made me finally go get tested.
A friend of my mom found out she had a brain tumor years ago when she lost her sense of smell, I am sure she is even more nervous than most as she cannot rely on looking out for that symptom. Here I am sitting here thinking, shit, if I lose my sense of smell I will be wondering if it is COVID or a tumor.

One of my daughters has it right now. The most helpless part is we can’t be with her to help.

That's terrible GK. I do hope you will be sharing with us her speedy recovery.

Everybody wanna be gansgsta until they find out they are either COVID positive or was exposed in close proximity to someone who tested positive.

That's terrible GK. I do hope you will be sharing with us her speedy recovery.

Everybody wanna be gansgsta until they find out they are either COVID positive or was exposed in close proximity to someone who tested positive.

She's on the way up. It really knocked her down and she had a lot of congestion and still has a persistent cough. But she's making steady progress and should be fine. She's going to try to return to work Tuesday. Thank you for asking.

I am now dealing with some heart issues. My pulse races. It never goes below 100 anymore, even when I’m just lying in bed. Walking to the bathroom takes me to 120

I thought I was the only one with that symptom. After reading this and doing some research some with mild symptoms has this problem post-covid.

Last edited:
I thought I was the only one with that symptom. After reading this and doing some research sone with mild symptoms has this problem post-covid.
I have that and as far as I know I have not have Covd. I am at rest right now, 102. WHen I walk 125 to 130 ish. THey can't figure out what is wrong with me. Got my blood pressure checked one day at the doc 150 something over 120 something. Next week 127 over 78.

I think it is the stress of having to moderate this place. People wear on me.

It sucks the life out of you. I’ve seen several families lose multiple members. I’ve lost two co workers.
The timeline is pretty classic. Days 7-9 get sick and then just a slow deteriorating death.

• Wow
Reactions: AmeriKenny
I have that and as far as I know I have not have Covd. I am at rest right now, 102. WHen I walk 125 to 130 ish. THey can't figure out what is wrong with me. Got my blood pressure checked one day at the doc 150 something over 120 something. Next week 127 over 78.

I think it is the stress of having to moderate this place. People wear on me.

My resting heart rate is around 63 bpm according to my Fitbit. I couldn’t imagine it going that high at rest. Is this something that just started happening?

Hey GK,

Just out of curiosity what age group was the lady? 50+, 60+, 70+? Did she have any underlying conditions? Seems, for the last 3 months or so individuals who get fairly sick their age is dropping <40. They seem to be younger and have no predetermined medical conditions. Which is concerning.

Hey GK,

Just out of curiosity what age group was the lady? 50+, 60+, 70+? Did she have any underlying conditions? Seems, for the last 3 months or so individuals who get fairly sick their age is dropping <40. They seem to be younger and have no predetermined medical conditions. Which is concerning.

I’m guessing late 50s. Maybe 60. As far as I know she had no underlying medical issues. She was overweight but not morbidly so.

My resting heart rate is around 63 bpm according to my Fitbit. I couldn’t imagine it going that high at rest. Is this something that just started happening?
No been awhile. They are checking my bp. Sometimes high sometimes not. My guess is stress.

By the way: if you’ve had COVID and made a full recovery (like me) PLEASE consider donating your plasma.
I had not even thought about this being an option. That is a great idea. Should I have known about this or has the need not been very well publicized?

Glad you made a full recovery. 👍

Condolences to anyone who has lost a friend or family member to Covid and get well wishes for anyone currently dealing with it.

I've said it before and will say it again - the thing that is so disconcerting to me is the broad range of symptoms that aren't consistent from individual to individual and why does it affect two people, even family members, so much differently? A family I know have two teenagers. One had mild symptoms while the second child developed sepsis and almost died. Thankfully she has turned the corner and is now improving.

Reactions: KyMUfan and GK4Herd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT