ADVERTISEMENT

Current state of college football

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
Maybe I am a little too nostalgic here but I miss the "old college football". Gone are the days when you could watch regional rivalries like Pitt vs Penn State and Oklahoma vs Nebraska etc to close out the season. Winning a conference title meant something . It was fun to watch a team rise up and become a national item. It would seem to me that going forward there will be about 12 teams with a legitimate chance to win the NC each year.

Here is my list:
Ohio State, Michigan - Big 10
Southern Cal and Washington -Pac 12
Clemson, Fl State - ACC
Texas, Oklahoma- Big 12
Alabama, LSU and Auburn - SEC

on the bubble:
Penn State, Oregon and Florida and Tennessee, Notre Dame

Realistically it has been this way for a long time with schools like Nebraska, Pitt and Miami of Fl crashing the party . At least back in the day it gave the appearance that plenty of teams had a shot at a NATTY even if in reality it was a facade. Now we have a NFL 2.0 model and I don't like it.

That leads me to Marshall and the other G5 schools. Do we hang on or all just form another division where we have a opportunity to play for a Natty like the old 1aa?

Maybe I am a little too nostalgic here but I miss the "old college football". Gone are the days when you could watch regional rivalries like Pitt vs Penn State and Oklahoma vs Nebraska etc to close out the season. Winning a conference title meant something . It was fun to watch a team rise up and become a national item. It would seem to me that going forward there will be about 12 teams with a legitimate chance to win the NC each year.

Here is my list:
Ohio State, Michigan - Big 10
Southern Cal and Washington -Pac 12
Clemson, Fl State - ACC
Texas, Oklahoma- Big 12
Alabama, LSU and Auburn - SEC

on the bubble:
Penn State, Oregon and Florida and Tennessee, Notre Dame

Realistically it has been this way for a long time with schools like Nebraska, Pitt and Miami of Fl crashing the party . At least back in the day it gave the appearance that plenty of teams had a shot at a NATTY even if in reality it was a facade. Now we have a NFL 2.0 model and I don't like it.

That leads me to Marshall and the other G5 schools. Do we hang on or all just form another division where we have an opportunity to play for a Natty like the old 1aa?
There is no more PAC12 after this year. Texas and Oklahoma also jump to the SEC next season.

While you missed the memo on the death of the Pac 12 and the dismemberment of the Big 2, Little 8, you are not wrong. The playoffs are an answer to a question that no one asked. Purely the product of the focus of evil in the sports world, ESPN.

In the bowl system, lots of teams could accomplish things. Go to the * Bowl, win the * Bowl, get in a better bowl than was expected, etc. Now its make the playoffs or be a POS. And I can write down 20 teams and, leaving out the "wild card" token spot for the G5, have every team that will make the playoffs, for the next era of 10 to 20 years, with 95% accuracy.

So what of the field fillers in the "power 4"? We all know that two-thirds of all of those conferences NEVER will make the playoffs. Never. Never ever. Now if you were, say, WVU or UK, or similar across the country, you could look at maybe going to something like the Gator Bowl or the Peach Bowl in very, by your standards, good year. Now? Pack it in and enjoy Thanksgiving. Season over. Every year. You are a POS.

And what of us, the "group of 5"? First, 65 or so teams does not a division make. No team that is the best of 65 or so teams has a right to call itself "national champions". There cannot be a "Division I-A and a half". We are either in I-A, or its back to I-AA. And, bluntly, no body outside the communities and alumni bases involved gives a darn about I-AA. Nobody. ESPN is showing the finals against the NFL. No one outside South Dakota and Montana will watch.

Playing football with no realistic aspiration of every accomplishing anything is pointless. For the G5, and for 2/3rds or more of the P4, that is what ESPN has created.

Its a fallacy to think we can come close to competing with the big boys on a yearly basis. The funding gap is getting wider, NIL monies growing larger. Frankly, I hope we don't try to compete in that scope, we'll be running in mud. We need solid, successful programs in the Belt, make a run and get a title every 3-4 years, beat a P5 when we have the chance, win a bowl and hope to finish Top 25. Those are solid goals for a program such as ours. IT's gonna take a hell of an effort to get there.
I know many don't care but we have a better chance of making a name for ourselves in the minor sports and becoming a national power there. Yeah, most Joes don't care, but they don't care about Marshall football now. Let's have success where we can an enjoy that. The playoff is a dream - yeah, someone may crash the party, but don't hold your breath. I quit worrying about that shit.

While you missed the memo on the death of the Pac 12 and the dismemberment of the Big 2, Little 8, you are not wrong. The playoffs are an answer to a question that no one asked. Purely the product of the focus of evil in the sports world, ESPN.

In the bowl system, lots of teams could accomplish things. Go to the * Bowl, win the * Bowl, get in a better bowl than was expected, etc. Now its make the playoffs or be a POS. And I can write down 20 teams and, leaving out the "wild card" token spot for the G5, have every team that will make the playoffs, for the next era of 10 to 20 years, with 95% accuracy.

So what of the field fillers in the "power 4"? We all know that two-thirds of all of those conferences NEVER will make the playoffs. Never. Never ever. Now if you were, say, WVU or UK, or similar across the country, you could look at maybe going to something like the Gator Bowl or the Peach Bowl in very, by your standards, good year. Now? Pack it in and enjoy Thanksgiving. Season over. Every year. You are a POS.

And what of us, the "group of 5"? First, 65 or so teams does not a division make. No team that is the best of 65 or so teams has a right to call itself "national champions". There cannot be a "Division I-A and a half". We are either in I-A, or its back to I-AA. And, bluntly, no body outside the communities and alumni bases involved gives a darn about I-AA. Nobody. ESPN is showing the finals against the NFL. No one outside South Dakota and Montana will watch.

Playing football with no realistic aspiration of every accomplishing anything is pointless. For the G5, and for 2/3rds or more of the P4, that is what ESPN has created.
I was aware of that but thank you Professor for that FYI

• Haha
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
There is no more PAC12 after this year. Texas and Oklahoma also jump to the SEC next season.
just using a base line of this year current alignment was aware of the collapse of the Pac 12

It’s been said already hundreds of times, but should be repeated.

The G5 schools and a handful of P5 schools that realistically should be in the G5 category, are going to be left outside and looking in. Probably within 10 years. The B10(17) and the $EC will force the hand and create a break off division for the upper crust.

When it all goes down, what is now the FCS will have to fight for even a modicum of recognition.

It’s going to be a proverbial blood bath.

I think players getting NIL money should have something written in that they have to play the entire season “to include the bowl games” I was disappointed with bowl season all the players sitting. It’s only increasing every year, also this transfer portal is out of control. It should be a max of one transfer in your carrier (I get one transfer possibly) but kids transferring 3 to 4 times is ridiculous IMO. I think it sends the wrong message that if you can’t start here go here or I’m now good enough to play at the big school after so many hours and effort has went into building these athletes into what they are for the program.. had to get that off my chest 🤣

I miss being excited about an incoming freshman class and watching players grow and develop. Seeing the same guys for 4 years and only losing 15-20 players a year to graduation.

That allowed connection which creates attachment. I used to be able to recite the roster, watch almost all the practices in spring ball to see the new guys, etc. With the portal I just don’t feel that invested anymore. Find myself going to games because that’s what I do, but not excited about it.

Glad this question continues to make the rounds so it's easier to reference when the board goes ballistic if MU can't keep up with someone.
That, or when they don't win every game, the rap music, reduction in stadium size (bound to be a complaint soon), etc, the "woe is me" posts on here will be useful.
This really shouldn't be a question though.
It's funny cause all anyone talked about was getting out of CUSA and MU worked quite hard to give itself appeal to the SBC, one of the top G5 conferences, so even the question of packing it up and quitting shows how much they lack balls.

No, MU shouldn't leave. MU should focus on MU and the G5 conference it is in. The SBC is considered one of the top G5 conferences and MU has shown a competitive nature within.
They can compete and win it, given its strength, can get ahead of other G5's and make the CFP.
The expanded conferences are going to be waaaay too too heavy.
You think the P4 is going to have multiple undefeated teams? Only 1-2 and with UCF, 3 teams go unbeaten.
It's going to severely downplay the competitive nature, since many programs will be capable of losing 4-5 games a season but also defeating a top team a season.

I will credit the CFP, they did give Liberty the bowl they got. I despise Liberty, but they went in eaten and did all they were asked and got their sacrificial beatdown from Oregon.
Somehow, Liberty got treated better than Florida State.
It honestly wouldn't shock me if two G5's could make it, in an exceptionally down year for the P4 due to its clusterfu*k expansions and multiple 2-3 loss teams, take in two undefeated G5's. Even if it becomes a Boise/TCU matchup, they make money and eliminate a spot for another P4 who doesn't deserve it.

So no, don't downgrade. MU has complained for too damn long to abandon its spot.

I think players getting NIL money should have something written in that they have to play the entire season “to include the bowl games” I was disappointed with bowl season all the players sitting. It’s only increasing every year, also this transfer portal is out of control. It should be a max of one transfer in your carrier (I get one transfer possibly) but kids transferring 3 to 4 times is ridiculous IMO. I think it sends the wrong message that if you can’t start here go here or I’m now good enough to play at the big school after so many hours and effort has went into building these athletes into what they are for the program.. had to get that off my chest 🤣

Morality already hit the transfer portal.

Gone are the days of finding a "diamond in the rough" and polishing him into a great player, he would now bolt for NIL money after his Soph. season. Really puts MU and our ilk in no man's land in terms of talent and aspirations!

Unless you're Penix Jr and Washington.

Do you think Bowl games will become obsolete? With the expansion of conference memberships some of those traditional teams will have to compete every week for a win. They currently need 6 wins (sometimes 5) to qualify for a bowl. Competition will be stiff. The bottom dweller in the SEC will for ever be a bottom dweller. Of course they really don’t have to try…. just don’t make eye contact when you pick up your check.

Do you think Bowl games will become obsolete? With the expansion of conference memberships some of those traditional teams will have to compete every week for a win. They currently need 6 wins (sometimes 5) to qualify for a bowl. Competition will be stiff. The bottom dweller in the SEC will for ever be a bottom dweller. Of course they really don’t have to try…. just don’t make eye contact when you pick up your check.
no I think they will survive. They will be similar to an invite to the NIT in MBB. As you point out the bottom half of these P4 conferences will never make it to the playoffs. The fanbase will be happy to play in the soup bowl in December upon having a magical 6 win season

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT