ADVERTISEMENT

current state of football team

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
At the half way mark we are 3-3. We have two losses against Top 25 teams. We have a loss to MTSU in conference play. I have decided we are a decent team. We are just not a good team. We are way undersized on defense. They are athletic but any physical team will pound us all day long eg; U of C. Our O line is big but very inconsistent. I like using the trick plays but we are relying on them to move the ball way too often. We should be able to line up and pound the ball between the tackles. Thus far we aren't doing that. We have a couple solid young WR's but it is mind boggling we are relying on them and really have no upperclassman at that position. Gains is our best player IMO. Knox is a beast and I think Evans is a solid back up. IG is average at best, he seems to have reached his ceiling. I really thought he had room to improve. We will probably end up 7-5 . I am a positive guy but I agree we are not playing to our potential. I mean any team can have a bad Saturday and lay an egg. We have already laid 2 eggs this year- not a good sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: herd66
We have way too many holes in the roster for the continuity we have had with a head coach.

You mentioned the WRs. That has been impacted by injury (Obi and Henry) but we should still have more than running out freshmen and walk ons. Then our best young receiver doesn't play a snap because he made a mistake last week?

Linebacker is also very thin. Yulee is out injured, big loss, but we were shallow there before he got hurt.

Are starting corners aren't good, but they start because we don't have anyone better.

Where the lack of roster really shows up is on special teams. This where your young LBs, safeties, and corners make their name and prove their metal. Looking at our coverage teams this year tells me we don't have a wealth of young talent waiting in the wings.

ODU is a really bad team and we couldn't put them away. That says it all. We're a bad team.

I said it after VMI. This team feels like 2016. We are going to beat the bad teams, but will lose to teams with any semblance of a pulse. Then at some point the players will completely quit.

It's going to be tough to make a bowl.

I am not sure we would even be a really good FCS team. We don't have many play makers, have issues at QB, and we are very small on defense especially. As banker said, there are just too many holes in the roster to be very good. I was fooled at the beginning of the year and thought we were a division winner. Gaining bowl eligibility might be hard.

Hate to pile on but I think Doc reached his ceiling as a coach and recruiter many years ago.

We just don’t have much talent up and down the roster and seem to be sitting still as a program. Jmo

Reactions: GeograficlyHerd
Gaining bowl eligibility might be hard.

That's exactly what we need anyways. Stop making it to a bowl game. Doc gets a month to prepare and focus (the only way he can win consistently against teams with a winning record). This only serves to continue making him look somewhat competent, and like there's really good signs in the bowl game, which suggest we're going to be really good next year.

We have fallen for this same crap for years.

Reactions: Dre621
The Marshall offense gained 236 rushing yards -- 105 more than ODU had allowed in any game this season. The Herd defense had eight sacks, tied for the second-most in school history, and Darius Hodge tied the school record for sacks in a game. Marshall was perfect in the red zone and didn't have any turnovers, but the guys in the trenches were the stars in Saturday's win against the visiting Monarchs.

Fire everyone, even MARCO !

I am highly critical of our coaching staff, but I do give them credit for focusing on our strengths on offense yesterday. We have a mobile QB, a good run game, and 2 TE that can play. We don’t have any downfield threats and don’t have an accurate passer to hit them.

We kept most of the passes short, ran the read option, and threw in a couple trick plays to get what playmakers we have the ball.

Defense had a good day.

Kick coverage is still a disaster.

We are woefully short of preseason expectations. It’s hard to see any better than 7-5/6-6 which I think warrants a coaching change.

The Marshall offense gained 236 rushing yards -- 105 more than ODU had allowed in any game this season. The Herd defense had eight sacks, tied for the second-most in school history, and Darius Hodge tied the school record for sacks in a game. Marshall was perfect in the red zone and didn't have any turnovers, but the guys in the trenches were the stars in Saturday's win against the visiting Monarchs.

Fire everyone, even MARCO !
And we only won by 14. By your stats you think we’d have won by a lot more.

This is a sad thread.

You need to find something else to fill your Saturdays.

Shocker. You know what pisses people off about you? The fact that your acceptance of mediocrity holds the program back. We will accomplish nothing this season, yet you will sing praises of joy and insist Doc should go on forever as our coach.

I honestly think you're full of shit and do this mostly to troll and instigate.

And we only won by 14. By your stats you think we’d have won by a lot more.

Defeated them by more than Virginia, V-tech, and ECU. Regardless of how bad everyone insists Old Dominion is, their D had been very good all season, resulting in them not being blown out in a single game to date. We actually scored more against them than any other team (tied with V--Tech).

It's not a win to pop bottles about, but to insist it's not a good win, because we only won by 14 makes no sense to me, seeing that we played them as good (and much better in a few categories) as anyone else this season.

Defeated them by more than Virginia, V-tech, and ECU. Regardless of how bad everyone insists Old Dominion is, their D had been very good all season, resulting in them not being blown out in a single game to date. We actually scored more against them than any other team (tied with V--Tech).

It's not a win to pop bottles about, but to insist it's not a good win, because we only won by 14 makes no sense to me, seeing that we played them as good (and much better in a few categories) as anyone else this season.
Ecu and vt are awful and uva just lost to unranked 2-3 Miami. Ecu lost by 32 to Navy. Vt beat furman by 7 points and lost to Duke by 5 tds for Christmas sakes

I mean if you want to compare us against awful teams and pound your chest, have at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mlblack16.
Ecu and vt are awful and uva just lost to unranked 2-3 Miami. Ecu lost by 32 to Navy. Vt beat furman by 7 points and lost to Duke by 5 tds for Christmas sakes

I mean if you want to compare us against awful teams and pound your chest, have at it.

Good extreme response. I specifically stated it's not a win "to pop bottles" over. But if that's pounding my chest in your eyes, so be it. You can choose to hear or read it the way you want. God forbid we try to throw any stats out here to make comparisons for anything beyoned the "we suck" and "fire doc" discussions. Frankly, I'd prefer to discuss more interesting things, like the actual outcome or stats from a game - compared to an ENDLESS discussion about something completely out of my control.

Good extreme response. I specifically stated it's not a win "to pop bottles" over. But if that's pounding my chest in your eyes, so be it. You can choose to hear or read it the way you want. God forbid we try to throw any stats out here to make comparisons for anything beyoned the "we suck" and "fire doc" discussions. Frankly, I'd prefer to discuss more interesting things, like the actual outcome or stats from a game - compared to an ENDLESS discussion about something completely out of my control.
Aren’t stats and outcomes completely out of your control?

Aren’t stats and outcomes completely out of your control?

Apples and oranges. Discussing the outcome of a game, and the actual score and stats are based on things that are absolute. Discussing whether a coach, or the team, is dog-shi* bad, or sort of bad, or pretty good are all opinions. My opinion in that case has no relevance to the ultimate outcome of whether or not said coach remains, or not. So, to me, those discussions become tiring because they just go in circles.

We have way too many holes in the roster for the continuity we have had with a head coach.

Hot take: the coaching staff's unwillingness to let underclassmen get live snaps is a huge factor in this.

Last year, we didn't find out who our best HB was until eight games into the season, and only then because of Tyler King's injury forcing the staff's hand. We could have started the year with Knox at HB1 and Trey Rodriguez returning kicks, but the staff decided to go in another direction with it. Unfortunately, that probably cost us the MTSU game and ultimately the C-USA East Division title.

This year, Tyler King was booted from the program after week two, opening up a slot in the depth chart for another HB. Can you guess how many HBs not named Knox or Evans have had a carry in the last four games? I bet you can!

I think a lot of us bought into the preseason hype... Most of the posters on here were picking Marshall to win 9, 10 or even 11 games and a CUSA title.

In reality, at the halfway point of the season, this team simply isn't that good. I think that there is a good chance we make a bowl game, and maybe even win it. But the team we have put on the field this year is not a conference championship caliber team.

Before the season I predicted MU would go 9-3 and win the East, finishing at 10-4... Based on what we all have watched so far, I will adjust my midway point prediction to 7-5 with a win in an early Dec. bowl game to get us to 8-5. That's not a bad year, a lot of programs would love to win that many games (ask any fans of Rutgers, Kansas, etc.) but it isn't what any of us were hoping for before the season started.

I think a lot of us bought into the preseason hype... Most of the posters on here were picking Marshall to win 9, 10 or even 11 games and a CUSA title.

In reality, at the halfway point of the season, this team simply isn't that good. I think that there is a good chance we make a bowl game, and maybe even win it. But the team we have put on the field this year is not a conference championship caliber team.

Before the season I predicted MU would go 9-3 and win the East, finishing at 10-4... Based on what we all have watched so far, I will adjust my midway point prediction to 7-5 with a win in an early Dec. bowl game to get us to 8-5. That's not a bad year, a lot of programs would love to win that many games (ask any fans of Rutgers, Kansas, etc.) but it isn't what any of us were hoping for before the season started.

Thats strange...after 2016 fans were wanting Doc's head.
He goes 8-5 and then 9-4 in the following years and people are still wanting him fired.
I wouldn't give up on this team quite yet.
MU can still win the East division.
Hell, they won it in 2000 with a 5-3 record in the MAC, anything is possible at this point.
If you know any fans of said programs like Kansas and Rutgers, send them our way, at least they'd apppreciate a win.
Welcome to MU, where wins don't count.

Reactions: The Real SamC
with a win in an early Dec. bowl game to get us to 8-5. That's not a bad year,

Context is important. Going 8-5 is a bad year when you take into consideration the whole picture.

As we have repeatedly gone over, Marshall has significant advantages to football success over just about every team in C-USA. Coupling that with the high expectations a team with such experience returned, going 8-5 is a bad year.

Both Kansas and Rutgers have severe disadvantages to winning in football compared to their peer conference schools. Marshall is on the other end of that spectrum in terms of advantages within its conference. There’s the rub and why 8-5 this season is a bad year. It’s no different than if Boise or UCF went 8-5. Those are bad years considering the advantages those two schools have in football over their conference peers and the experience they had returning.

Considering we have some of the best facilities in the league, if not the best overall, our fan support and financial support from the fan base is among the best, and that our staff can take unlimited NQ’s where most schools can’t or won’t; which gives us a advantage in recruiting - you add all that up and you would think the program would be more polished and consistent.
As one CUSA coach said in a pre-season mag. - “ Marshall is inconsistent, you don’t know what team will show up, year in, year out.”

I wonder if Doc is getting complacent and stale. That happened to Pruett his last few years. You could see it in his classes and team demeanor.

Considering we have some of the best facilities in the league, if not the best overall, our fan support and financial support from the fan base is among the best, and that our staff can take unlimited NQ’s where most schools can’t or won’t; which gives us a advantage in recruiting - you add all that up and you would think the program would be more polished and consistent.
As one CUSA coach said in a pre-season mag. - “ Marshall is inconsistent, you don’t know what team will show up, year in, year out.”

I wonder if Doc is getting complacent and stale. That happened to Pruett his last few years. You could see it in his classes and team demeanor.

To be fair, most of the conference is inconsistent.
Minus WKU, who else has managed to be as consistent as MU in the same span?
FAU had 1 great year and then completely crapped the bed.
FIU was the same way.
Both have just as much as MU does.
MTSU never seems to get further than last season, and for them, that took a ton of effort.
UAB is about the only one of recent note that is being consistent and thats a program that didn't exist a few years ago.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
FAU had 1 great year and then completely crapped the bed.
FIU was the same way.
Both have just as much as MU does.

You’ve clearly never been to FAU or FIU. Neither have anything close to Marshall in terms of facilities. FAU is in the middle of making an actual facilities/weight room/locker room/offices, but it isn’t finished yet, which means Marshall is LANY years ahead.

The difference between FIU and Marshall in terms of facilities is like comparing Marshall with Alabama. Marshall is far, far ahead.

Neither have anything close to the history of success. Neither have anything close to the fan base. Neither have anything close to the unlimited (at least by perception) admittance of non-qualifiers.

They both are in more fertile recruiting areas, but as I said before, that’s overrated, especially as it pertains to South Florida since many of those athletes want to leave that region.

They both pay their HCs higher salaries, but they are also living in a region which is far more expensive than Huntington.

Neither has “just as much” as Marshall.

You’ve clearly never been to FAU or FIU. Neither have anything close to Marshall in terms of facilities. FAU is in the middle of making an actual facilities/weight room/locker room/offices, but it isn’t finished yet, which means Marshall is LANY years ahead.

The difference between FIU and Marshall in terms of facilities is like comparing Marshall with Alabama. Marshall is far, far ahead.

Neither have anything close to the history of success. Neither have anything close to the fan base. Neither have anything close to the unlimited (at least by perception) admittance of non-qualifiers.

They both are in more fertile recruiting areas, but as I said before, that’s overrated, especially as it pertains to South Florida since many of those athletes want to leave that region.

They both pay their HCs higher salaries, but they are also living in a region which is far more expensive than Huntington.

Neither has “just as much” as Marshall.

I imagine just finding a football coach (or coaches if referring to both FIU and FAU), with some identity is a step in the right direction.
Both made better hires than they did in the past.

Also, with a better salary, it shows they're at least focusing on football.

MU is ahead in terms of facilities at this point, no doubt, however, it took how long to build an IPF? Raising money in WV from alumni and boosters, is an uphill battle for MU.
Also, given the idiocy of the backwards state and local level politics (more state at this point), it absolutely slows MU down.

So while you're 100% right at the current level, MU is ahead.
However, FL is a much more supportive state to schools not named UF or FSU and are willing to support growth for them.
They also wouldn't likely have too much opposition from idiot locals who complain about hot dogs or field goal post paint.
So while they are behind, some aggressive marketing and fundraising could put them past MU in a short period of time.

Thing is FAU and FIU has been beating us lately for those 3* SoFla kids who in the past would have left are now staying home.

Reactions: pdbailey
Thats strange...after 2016 fans were wanting Doc's head.
He goes 8-5 and then 9-4 in the following years and people are still wanting him fired.
I wouldn't give up on this team quite yet.
MU can still win the East division.
Hell, they won it in 2000 with a 5-3 record in the MAC, anything is possible at this point.
If you know any fans of said programs like Kansas and Rutgers, send them our way, at least they'd apppreciate a win.
Welcome to MU, where wins don't count.
It all depends on what you want. You might find 8-5 or 9-4 acceptable. But, with our schedules and lack of championships, I do not find it acceptable. We need to be winning championships, not just looking at win totals.

It all depends on what you want. You might find 8-5 or 9-4 acceptable. But, with our schedules and lack of championships, I do not find it acceptable. We need to be winning championships, not just looking at win totals.

This is correct, and speaks to rifle's point about us having advantages over the other teams in our league (comparables)... At FIU, FAU, Charlotte, ODU, etc. an 8-win season is a great year. At Marshall, an 8-win year may be fine for some, but not for the majority.

Marshall, Louisiana Tech, So. Miss, WKU expect to play for championships on a fairly consistent basis.

I imagine just finding a football coach (or coaches if referring to both FIU and FAU), with some identity is a step in the right direction.
Both made better hires than they did in the past.

Also, with a better salary, it shows they're at least focusing on football.

MU is ahead in terms of facilities at this point, no doubt, however, it took how long to build an IPF? Raising money in WV from alumni and boosters, is an uphill battle for MU.
Also, given the idiocy of the backwards state and local level politics (more state at this point), it absolutely slows MU down.

So while you're 100% right at the current level, MU is ahead.
However, FL is a much more supportive state to schools not named UF or FSU and are willing to support growth for them.
They also wouldn't likely have too much opposition from idiot locals who complain about hot dogs or field goal post paint.
So while they are behind, some aggressive marketing and fundraising could put them past MU in a short period of time.

No to just about everything you posted.
You think FAU and FIU get better support on the state? Nope.

You claim that MU took a long time to get funding for the IPF. Well, have you seen the IPFs at FAU and FIU? Don’t worry, nobody else has seen them, because they don’t exist.

FAU is in the middle of building a big complex, but an indoor is proposed as part of stage 2, and they haven’t even completed stage 1 yet. In other words, what Marshall has had for many years at a high level (and Marshall’s indoor is impressive even by P5 standards), FAU and FIU won’t have for many more years at best.

And “aggressive marketing” won’t put FIU ahead of MU. FIU has 57,000 students. It’s huge. You don’t have to market at all at a school that size if the students cared about football. But they don’t. It’s enrollment is about 70% Hispanic which isn’t a traditionally strong supporter of football. Then, it is heavily lopsided with female enrollment, which also doesn’t support football as much as males.

FIU’s 57,000 students know they have a football team. They just aren’t fans of the sport. Aggressive marketing won’t change that anytime soon.

FAU and especially FIU are getting more money from their State than Marshall. 73% of FIU’s athletic budget comes from public funds.
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

By student. That's how logical people determine which school gets more funding from the state.

If School A has an enrollment of 50,000 students and charges each student an athletic fee of $10, and School B has an enrollment of 1,000 students and charges each student an athletic fee of $499, School B is getting more support from their state than School A gets from their state.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT