ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA BBall ranked 25 out of 32...

andy4theherd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2007
Tell me if you’ve heard this one: From top to bottom, Conference USA basketball is not very good.
Heard that last year, right? You know this league is good enough to throw a Molotov cocktail into your bracket, but that’s only one team of 14. For every Middle Tennessee, there’s a Texas-San Antonio, a Southern Mississippi and a North Texas.
With conference play beginning at the end of this week, the Rating Percentage Index rankings aren’t kind. Entering Christmas Eve, C-USA had slumped to 25th of 32 Division I teams, according to WarrenNolan.com.
That’s even further down from the 21st or thereabouts the league was pegged at a year ago. C-USA sits between the American East and Big South.

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports...ahead-of-conference-play#sthash.hNwwuQ90.dpuf

This is a big reason I posted in another thread that Marshall is a real threat to win the league and/or the conference tournament.

Reactions: andy4theherd
An anti-Marshall story in the Gag-zette? Wow, that is a shock. Not. Management over there must think we are going to be at least OK, because its standard playbook is to have a "well, the schedule is weak" story prepatory to the regular season if we are any good at all, football or basketball.

Actually, yeah, CUSA basketball is what it is. It is a one-bid league, same as 25 or so other leagues. One is the same as the next. It all comes down to football. This league exists for football and is spread out over half the country. In basketball, a kid good enough to play in CUSA is good enough to play in a non-football league that has a much smaller footprint. That is important in academics, and if you are in a one-bid league, you better have your academics working.

Its hard to argue, the league is down lower than last year. UAB carried the torch after Memphis left, with support from UTEP and now MTSU, now only MTSU is doing well. LT fell off the wagon and we are still struggling to do anything of note. ODU and Charlotte was expected to come in and help the profile, hasn't quite happened. Maybe one year it will all come together, just not gonna be this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT