ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA Hoops Tournament Downsized

Herdmeister

Platinum Buffalo
Jan 18, 2006
Per Stadium, the coming CUSA men's and women's basketball tournament will be slimmed down to an 8 team event rather than the usual 12 teams.
This will make the regular season even more competitive. It could also level the field in the championship game. We now know that EVERY team will be playing their 3rd game in 3 days as opposed to some teams have t play 4 games. It will reduce the hotel stays by one night as well

I like it... Make the regular season games more important as teams try to stay in the top 8 and even up the championship game.

My only question would be, how are they going to break ties for 8th? Especially, if say a team from the East and a team from the West end up with the same conference record and have played unbalanced schedules.

Reactions: HuntersvilleHerd
I like it... Make the regular season games more important as teams try to stay in the top 8 and even up the championship game.

My only question would be, how are they going to break ties for 8th? Especially, if say a team from the East and a team from the West end up with the same conference record and have played unbalanced schedules.

Ranking of the schedule itself?
Head to head?
I'm sure they'll figure it out...they have a ton of time.

CUSA basketball does not have divisions. My question is how does this affect the idiotic and failed "pod" system, as the teams in the bottom "pod" would know their season was over in mid-February? Hopefully it will be done away with.

In that case they do not look at it as east and west. They break ties like normal. Head to head first and then how each team did against the #1 seed, if still tied then against the #2 seed etc

CUSA basketball does not have divisions. My question is how does this affect the idiotic and failed "pod" system, as the teams in the bottom "pod" would know their season was over in mid-February? Hopefully it will be done away with.
This is the way it has always been done except the past two years. No pods

When you look at that offer, it tells a lot about the value of C-USA basketball. Honestly, I didn't know that was the story. Since it is, I'm ready to change to any other league right now. If we have to get a free venue to hold a break even tourney, we pretty much suck as a league.

Reactions: oldeherd
When you look at that offer, it tells a lot about the value of C-USA basketball. Honestly, I didn't know that was the story. Since it is, I'm ready to change to any other league right now. If we have to get a free venue to hold a break even tourney, we pretty much suck as a league.
CUSA and the MAC have always done the same. When we joined the league the host had to bid a million dollar guarantee to get the tournament. I remember reading a story in the El Paso paper when we ere there the first time they hosted. The story said that the City had recouped their million dollars before the first game started in tournament package ticket sales. That, unfortunately is no longer the case since the AAC took our top teams away. The city of Cleveland pays the MAC to play there. As I said, there are NO cites willing to pay CUSA to host the tournament except Jerry Jones

If you are breaking a tie for eighth place, just flip a coin. It probably doesn't matter anyway.

What a bush league joke

Let's see, 429.

The MAC tourney in a NBA facility in an actual City, Cleveland, which is x miles from Huntington.

The CUSA tourney is in a "practice facility" with a bush league curtain hanging in the middle of the facility in alluring Frisco, Texas, about xxxx+ miles from Huntington!!

Yep, you've nailed the description of CUSA!!!!

I’d rather them give the top 2 a buy into semis, let the bottom 12 play at home sites until it’s down to 8, then send everyone left to Texas. Rewards regular season even more while still giving everyone a chance.

I’d rather them give the top 2 a buy into semis, let the bottom 12 play at home sites until it’s down to 8, then send everyone left to Texas. Rewards regular season even more while still giving everyone a chance.
The problem with on campus games is that you can't schedule vacation buy airplane tickets or book hotel until a few days before the game. It is also much more expensive flights for the team having to wait to charter. The MAC, SoCon and others can do it because they all bus to the tournament site

Reactions: HuntersvilleHerd
The problem with on campus games is that you can't schedule vacation buy airplane tickets or book hotel until a few days before the game. It is also much more expensive flights for the team having to wait to charter. The MAC, SoCon and others can do it because they all bus to the tournament site
~
Another voice of wisdom

ODU has their conference schedule out, confirms a 8 team tournament and an end to the idiotic and failed pod system.

MU's official website has not been meaningfully updated since May. Where is our schedule?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

Huh? What are you talking about?

So.... Let me get this straight.....

Problem, with Anjerio's plan is it's hard for teams and fans to travel to one school or another on a short notice...... but....
If they happen to make it to the NCAA it will be perfectly fine going from one venue to another all across the US.

I thought they had already killed pods.

ODU has their conference schedule out, confirms a 8 team tournament and an end to the idiotic and failed pod system.

MU's official website has not been meaningfully updated since May. Where is our schedule?

Went on the CUSA web site this evening. NOTHING posted regarding the 20-21 basketball schedule. Site still has the 2019-20 composite schedule up through the first round of the tourney in Frisco, and the second round pairings. Perhaps ODU has some inside info and has posted it on their site.

Reactions: Herdmeister

For once, I won't put blame into CUSA for the Pod System.
They tried something new to bolster the conference image and the strength of schedule.
It looked good and seemed like a possibility.

It failed, but I appreciate their attempts of thinking outside the box.

Reactions: Herdmeister
ADVERTISEMENT