ADVERTISEMENT

CUSA Tournament cancelled along with others...

goherd73

Gold Buffalo
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2007
Several college basketball conference tournaments have been canceled moments before tipoff, putting the NCAA Tournament at risk.

The Big Ten, Big 12, SEC and Conference USA, along with other conferences, announced their cancellations Thursday, with more expected to follow suit over concerns regarding the coronavirus.

At the C-USA tournament in Frisco, Texas, Marshall and Rice universities' women's teams were pulled off the floor about 7 minutes before tipoff, with the announcement made minutes later. Fans were told to make their way to the exits.

An email from Tim McNamara, director of communications for C-USA, just before noon announced the cancellation of the remainder of the 2020 Basketball Championships, effective immediately.

The men's NCAA Tournament is one of the most popular events on the American sports calendar. March Madness draws hundreds of thousands of fans to arenas from coast to coast.

This is breaking news and will be updated.

With no fans (no revenue) and the NCAA tournament likely to be cancelled soon... No reason to keep going.

For now... The NCAA tournament will be cancelled... Teams and leagues are already calling for it.

I read the NCAA is considering smaller venues for hosting tournament games.
I say we jam the Cam if that happened and host a few teams, haha.
However, in all likelihood, I presume it is going to be cancelled.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
All spring sports officially “suspended”. CUSA press release. Assume that includes non-conference games. Baseball had two big money games in Charleston coming up later this month, Virginia Tech and WVU.

I guess I'm missing something as I do not understand this panic at all. We shut down everything for under 50 deaths nations wide, in which ALL have had underlying medical conditions, yet just a few years ago we approve alcohol sales at NCAA venues when over 10,000 people a year die from alcohol related accidents. Where is the logic? I think we've watched to many Zombie and "Outbreak" movies over the years and are confusing fantasy with reality. Maybe its because the virus mostly affect elderly and the elderly are the ones in charge of everything....idk. just very odd.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
We won the last game in the CUSA tournament . Does that mean we are the Champs?
I like it! Top seeds haven't played. They are .000 We were the highest seeded team to win, so why not? Seriously this is so disappointing for sports fans in general on all levels in all (?) sports......We achieved a winning season.

We were the highest seeded team to win, so why not?

giphy.gif

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I guess I'm missing something as I do not understand this panic at all.

Let me take a stab at it....

The initial tests that the government came up with did not function, sending us back to the drawing board and delaying our ability to accurately assess how many cases we have in the US. They have since fixed it, and are now distributing them to states, but not in sufficient numbers. It may be a week or two more before states have the capacity to accurately test for the full scope of this illness.

In the meantime, we are forced to deal with the unknown - how far the infection has already spread, and what total numbers will be infected by the time this crisis resolves.

The virus kills about 2.5% of the people infected with it. While that is primarily the elderly and immuno-compromised, Italy has plenty of cases of folks as young as 40 succumbing to the disease. The measures being taken are intended to limit the overall arc of infection.

Being hopeful, if we can limit the number of cases in the US to 100,000 (unlikely), that would mean 2,500 people would die. However, if we sat back and did nothing and allowed the virus to play out with only luck and nature pushing back against its spread, that 2,500 could increase by a factor of 10, 100, or even 1,000. Needless to say those latter numbers would create a significant impact for a lot of folks in the US.

Personally, I'm okay with all of this. I know my Mom is going to die someday, but I don't want it to be this year.

Aside: its 2020 people. You have 20 different streaming services offering you millions of entertainment options. Sure, we may have to live without sports for a few months, but its not like its 1845 and we're left with nothing to do but sit on the front porch with Old Jim, whittling big sticks into smaller, pointier sticks.

Thanks, that's the best explanation I've heard so far. It just seems odd with every other illness, threats of terrorism and any other hazard to every day life that this is where a stand is being made. It makes me feel like it's either a giant over reaction for unknown reasons or there is more information that isn't being shared. Billions of dollars are being given up for what we are told is a precaution. 9/11...the biggest attack and death toll in the history of the U.S. didn't shut things down for this long and at the time we believed with almost certainty that there would be another attack. IDK...very interesting time in history.

The initial tests that the government came up with did not function, sending us back to the drawing board and delaying our ability to accurately assess how many cases we have in the US. They have since fixed it, and are now distributing them to states, but not in sufficient numbers. It may be a week or two more before states have the capacity to accurately test for the full scope of this illness.

In the meantime, we are forced to deal with the unknown - how far the infection has already spread, and what total numbers will be infected by the time this crisis resolves.

The virus kills about 2.5% of the people infected with it. While that is primarily the elderly and immuno-compromised, Italy has plenty of cases of folks as young as 40 succumbing to the disease. The measures being taken are intended to limit the overall arc of infection.

Being hopeful, if we can limit the number of cases in the US to 100,000 (unlikely), that would mean 2,500 people would die. However, if we sat back and did nothing and allowed the virus to play out with only luck and nature pushing back against its spread, that 2,500 could increase by a factor of 10, 100, or even 1,000. Needless to say those latter numbers would create a significant impact for a lot of folks in the US.

Personally, I'm okay with all of this. I know my Mom is going to die someday, but I don't want it to be this year.
I agree. I'm a little more cautious about these types of things due to some recent medical issues I've had. I went through a pretty rough 14 rounds of chemo/radiation over a 7 month period a few years ago. I was pretty cautious while receiving treatment and still the slightest little thing shot my temperature up to 104 degrees one night and landed me in ICU for 4 days while they pumped blood & platelets to me.

Something like this would have probably killed me. How many beds in ICU would be available if people were testing positive for this? Would I be considered a lost cause and they chose to save someone else who wouldn't need 4 days in ICU because their immune system wasn't shit? How swamped would our medical facilities be with this spreading among the already feeble?

To me, this isn't about the disease killing the healthy; which is where most people who are laughing it off seem to be coming from with it. It's about how our health care facilities would be able to treat, what sounds like an easily contracted disease, with the current load of unhealthy people our facilities are already caring for. We have people dropping like flies due to diabetes, heart disease, opiod overdose, heroin, etc. People who currently work in our health care fields are already overworked and wore out. Want to add this strain to the system?

People who currently work in our health care fields are already overworked and wore out. Want to add this strain to the system?

You're exactly right, and especially those of us who live in rural areas where hospitals are frequently understaffed. With many of our rural hospitals closing, and our metro hospitals (like the CAMC system here in Charleston) struggling financially, there's not a lot of room in the system for a challenge like this.

The measures being taken are intended to limit the overall arc of infection.

I think this is the key. Spread out the cases over a longer period so we don't overwhelm the medical system.

We may see the same number of cases as we would have if we did nothing but hopefully they won't spike and overwhelm the system.

Spring football practice “suspended” at Virginia, Penn State, Baylor, Notre Dame, Kent State, and Southern California.

Spring game cancelled at Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, and Kent State.

Coach recruiting travel under “restrictions” in ACC, SEC and at Illinois, Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and UNLV.

My biggest concern currently is coming up with a legitimate excuse for not going shopping with the wife on Saturday.

Sure, I could just tell her that I wear the pants, and I'm not going. Realistically, I need a better excuse. I can't be the only guy on this forum that loves the idea of having nothing to watch on TV, while looking forward to simply sitting outside drinking beers, while tinkering around with pistols until I get to beer # 7 or 8, and then I come up with the clever idea of giving the lawn tractor a tune up.

It doesn't help Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz, as a joke, touched every mic in the press room prior to a presser and apparently acted wrecklessly in the locker room.

He now has Coronavirus and likely was the reason the NBA needed to cancel their season.

Its dumb shit like that which accelerates panic and the responses we're seeing.

It doesn't help Rudy Gobert of the Utah Jazz, as a joke, touched every mic in the press room prior to a presser and apparently acted wrecklessly in the locker room.

He now has Coronavirus and likely was the reason the NBA needed to cancel their season.

Its dumb shit like that which accelerates panic and the responses we're seeing.

So does suspending the whole season because 2 players in the same locker room got sick. That is an overreaction. People are acting like this is some sort of biblical plague. If the panic was legit then most of that press room should have it, most the roster should have it, and most the arena in attendance should have it. That is how people are acting. There are only 139, 065 cases over the entire world. There are only 1800 cases in the US with with 41 deaths (29 of which were in Wash St.). Reaction is WAY overblown.

The NCAA has cancelled all spring sports, the NBA has suspended their season, the NHL cancelled theirs, the XFL cancelled theirs, NASCAR is banning fans from the tracks, and allegedly FoxSports is suspending production of their daily shows for next week. Past flu strains like the Swine flu had killed over a 1,000 in the US before we deemed it a major issue. Nothing was cancelled then. The Bird flu was supposed to be a huge deal and nothing to this extent was shut down. Remember West Nile? If a Mosquito bit you, you could die.

I don't know how true it is, but I read yesterday that the NBA suspended the season in fear of lawsuits from fans if they actually got sick.

This panic is causing more harm than the virus. It's tanking the economy and drying up supply chains for freaking toilet paper and other sanitary goods. Think about all the industry surrounding the NCAA Tournament, NBA, NHL, and NASCAR. They'll never recover from this. Small businesses are going to tank and families are going to lose their homes. Those vendors that work the games only get paid for the game they work. So the cotton candy and beer guy just lost money he was going to use for his family.

People need to take a step back and breathe.

Last edited:
Always keep 9-12 months living expense money in a quickly accessible account, if possible.

My friends, the ones that are close enough that I tell them such things, give me shit about having a safety deposit box in a bank vault like its the 1940s... Investing is good, banks are good, debiting shit online is fun, I get it. But if something truly bad ever happened I want six months cash on hand.

So does suspending the whole season because 2 players in the same locker room got sick. That is an overreaction. People are acting like this is some sort of biblical plague. If the panic was legit then most of that press room should have it, most the roster should have it, and most the arena in attendance should have it. That is how people are acting. There are only 139, 065 cases over the entire world. There are only 1800 cases in the US with with 41 deaths (29 of which were in Wash St.). Reaction is WAY overblown.

The NCAA has cancelled all spring sports, the NBA has suspended their season, the NHL cancelled theirs, the XFL cancelled theirs, NASCAR is banning fans from the tracks, and allegedly FoxSports is suspending production of their daily shows for next week. Past flu strains like the Swine flu had killed over a 1,000 in the US before we deemed it a major issue. Nothing was cancelled then. The Bird flu was supposed to be a huge deal and nothing to this extent was shut down. Remember West Nile? If a Mosquito bit you, you could die.

I don't know how true it is, but I read yesterday that the NBA suspended the season in fear of lawsuits from fans if they actually got sick.

This panic is causing more harm than the virus. It's tanking the economy and drying up supply chains for freaking toilet paper and other sanitary goods. Think about all the industry surrounding the NCAA Tournament, NBA, NHL, and NASCAR. They'll never recover from this. Small businesses are going to tank and families are going to lose their homes. Those vendors that work the games only get paid for the game they work. So the cotton candy and beer guy just lost money he was going to use for his family.

People need to take a step back and breathe.

Where did I say I agreed with what happened to them or what the league did?
I'm saying that his actions didn't help and by treating this as a joke was not the right move.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT