ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Patrick with Breaking News

Ohio state players and coaches have asked to be allowed to play in the SEC this year. ODU has opted out of football for the season.

Ohio state players and coaches have asked to be allowed to play in the SEC this year

Why would OSU want to do that? According to Patrick:

"According to Patrick's source, the Big Ten presidents voted, 12-2, to not play this fall. Patrick said only Nebraska and Iowa voted to play."

Vote not to play in the Big10, just to play in the SEC?

Ohio state players and coaches have asked to be allowed to play in the SEC this year. ODU has opted out of football for the season.

This makes zero sense... Ohio State reportedly voted not to play at all. They will not be asking to play in the SEC... Now Nebraska asking to play in another conference I could see maybe since they voted to play.

It's not going to matter anyway, the PAC12 is having a presidents meeting tomorrow and they will cancel, then the BIG12 will do the same by the end of the week. The dominoes will fall with the SEC being the last holdouts but ultimately cancelling in a few weeks.

This makes zero sense... Ohio State reportedly voted not to play at all. They will not be asking to play in the SEC... Now Nebraska asking to play in another conference I could see maybe since they voted to play.

It's not going to matter anyway, the PAC12 is having a presidents meeting tomorrow and they will cancel, then the BIG12 will do the same by the end of the week. The dominoes will fall with the SEC being the last holdouts but ultimately cancelling in a few weeks.
Here's what you're not getting. The University Presidents are the ones voting not to play. Most of the ADs, Coaches, and Players want to play, so this is going to be a battle between them. In the end, money talks, and bullshit walks. Big donors will ultimately play a major role in how this all plays out. Michigan anticipated a deficit of $61,000,000 as is, with having no fans. Their AD stated this could ultimately cost them double that amount if games aren't played at all.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...tball-season-tickets-warde-manuel/3311119001/

Reading some of this is really sad now:

https://247sports.com/Article/Ohio-...ning-SEC-if-Big-Ten-cancels-season-150082437/

https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/2...ate-players-want-to-join-the-sec-this-season/

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...season-theres-no-way-ohio-state-joins-the-sec

These kids just want a chance. Takes some gonads to not give it to them the National Championship chance, Heisman, NFL draft position; the Conference higherups don't want to give it to them.

If they were playing in a bubble , more power to them.

But the fact is a bubble isn’t possible for college. It would be irresponsible for these teams to send travel parties of hundreds around the country playing one of the most contact sports there is. The players may think they have a choice, but all of the people who they subsequently come in contact with in these college towns and campuses do not.

But the fact is a bubble isn’t possible for college. It would be irresponsible for these teams to send travel parties of hundreds around the country playing one of the most contact sports there is. The players may think they have a choice, but all of the people who they subsequently come in contact with in these college towns and campuses do not.

So what does the "Contact" sport have to do with people living in towns? The residents are not playing football are they?

Travel party of the hundreds? Stands will most likely be empty to start. The "Travel" party consist of Players, Coaches, Trainers. Might be around 100, but in retrospect very small when it comes to general travelers in ad out of a given town for business or leisure.

Why would OSU want to do that? According to Patrick:

"According to Patrick's source, the Big Ten presidents voted, 12-2, to not play this fall. Patrick said only Nebraska and Iowa voted to play."

Vote not to play in the Big10, just to play in the SEC?

Yup makes no sense. But thats what you get when as a head coach, you've had years getting what you want and something like a virus, which requires a whole separate method of thought, has you absolutely speechless.

Michigan's president Dr. Schlissel is also against playing, which is funny because Harbaugh said basically, "I'm not a doctor but...I think we need to play this season."

Michigan's president on the other hand??
Yeah, he IS a doctor.

'In addition to his presidency, he holds a professorship of microbiology and immunology and a professorship of internal medicine within the University of Michigan Health System as well as a professorship of molecular, cellular, and developmental biology in the University of Michigan College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.'

He got his PhD-MD from Johns Hopkins BTW.

Maybe some of these school presidents are actual scientists/doctors and may know more about this than...a head football coach?

So what does the "Contact" sport have to do with people living in towns? The residents are not playing football are they?

Travel party of the hundreds? Stands will most likely be empty to start. The "Travel" party consist of Players, Coaches, Trainers. Might be around 100, but in retrospect very small when it comes to general travelers in ad out of a given town for business or leisure.

You'd have to follow the NHL approach.
Bubble cities. Isolation protocol, even if you are not sick, and rigorous testing.
I'd also say this shouldn't be about money, but thats the entire NCAA's MO to begin with.
You'd probably have to cut the rosters down as well.

Virtual learning and study centers for teams not playing. Teams would play on all weekdays. Very limited outside contact.

The NHL ran like 7,500+ COVID tests since it began over a month ago and, at least since a few days ago, they had either 0 or 2 positive results, depending on who reported.

But...lets just go insane with ideas:

I could see a Round Robin style format to determine the season itself...since entire conferences are in a bubble, teams could get more conference games to make it a full season of 12 games.
Or...
Play 10 games and the top 4, with 2 from each division. Seed based on criteria. 4 team tournaments determine a champion from each conference.
Since some have opted out, and we'll pretend the rest of the G5 is going to play, add them into an multi-team tournament.
SEC/ACC/Big12 Each gets 2 representatives totalling 6. G5 is going to have 4 representatives; AAC, CUSA, MWC, SunBelt.
Top 2 seeds get a bye.
Play on from there.
Each losing team leaves the bubble.

Again...insane...but why not at this point?

You'd have to follow the NHL approach.
Bubble cities. Isolation protocol, even if you are not sick, and rigorous testing.
I'd also say this shouldn't be about money, but thats the entire NCAA's MO to begin with.
You'd probably have to cut the rosters down as well.

Virtual learning and study centers for teams not playing. Teams would play on all weekdays. Very limited outside contact.

The NHL ran like 7,500+ COVID tests since it began over a month ago and, at least since a few days ago, they had either 0 or 2 positive results, depending on who reported.

But...lets just go insane with ideas:

I could see a Round Robin style format to determine the season itself...since entire conferences are in a bubble, teams could get more conference games to make it a full season of 12 games.
Or...
Play 10 games and the top 4, with 2 from each division. Seed based on criteria. 4 team tournaments determine a champion from each conference.
Since some have opted out, and we'll pretend the rest of the G5 is going to play, add them into an multi-team tournament.
SEC/ACC/Big12 Each gets 2 representatives totalling 6. G5 is going to have 4 representatives; AAC, CUSA, MWC, SunBelt.
Top 2 seeds get a bye.
Play on from there.
Each losing team leaves the bubble.

Again...insane...but why not at this point?

You seem to have a lot of time on your hands. I know a couple of contractors looking for day labor. You can meet them tomorrow morning around 6 at the Lowe’s parking lot.

Reactions: Deepthroat69
You seem to have a lot of time on your hands. I know a couple of contractors looking for day labor. You can meet them tomorrow morning around 6 at the Lowe’s parking lot.

Nah, I have a job I can Telehealth with. I begin around noon and end my day around 5:30

So what’s the play here? Do we wait until there are no cases of covid? Only 2 people a day are positive? No one is giving criteria for returning to normal. It’s all very vague and basically arbitrary. We slowed the spread and didn’t overload the hospitals which was the stated goal at the beginning, then somehow it morphed in to the current animal we have before us.

So what’s the play here? Do we wait until there are no cases of covid? Only 2 people a day are positive? No one is giving criteria for returning to normal. It’s all very vague and basically arbitrary. We slowed the spread and didn’t overload the hospitals which was the stated goal at the beginning, then somehow it morphed in to the current animal we have before us.

I really don't think anyone has any idea how to do this. The bubble system does seem to have the best results in terms of positive COVID tests.

Thats why I think college football is going to end up like the MLB, just opening the season with money in mind and absolutely zero plans on how to deal with it.
Also, the conferences not playing and schools wanting to play despite conferences saying no, is going to shake up their connections with one another.
Same with the NCAA and P5, although thats been shaky for a while.
We could see the first step of the P5 breaking off of the NCAA entirely.
There's more to it, apparently one of the reasons the Big 10 and PAC 12 cancelled was evidence of heart damage from COVID. Something like 5 players who had COVID, are having complications from it.
Its all early in whats being said, but COVID hasn't been present for even a year, so new stuff is coming out daily.

Reactions: HuntersvilleHerd
I really don't think anyone has any idea how to do this. The bubble system does seem to have the best results in terms of positive COVID tests.

Thats why I think college football is going to end up like the MLB, just opening the season with money in mind and absolutely zero plans on how to deal with it.
Also, the conferences not playing and schools wanting to play despite conferences saying no, is going to shake up their connections with one another.
Same with the NCAA and P5, although thats been shaky for a while.
We could see the first step of the P5 breaking off of the NCAA entirely.
There's more to it, apparently one of the reasons the Big 10 and PAC 12 cancelled was evidence of heart damage from COVID. Something like 5 players who had COVID, are having complications from it.
Its all early in whats being said, but COVID hasn't been present for even a year, so new stuff is coming out daily.

The Boston Red Sox lost a starting pitcher to COVID due to a heart condition brought on by COVID. 27 years old professional athlete in great shape sidelined temporarily but maybe forever. Indiana University freshman offensive lineman same thing. Deaths are not what people are scared of when it comes to COVID and young people it is long term damages they are seeing in lungs, heart kidneys etc.

66 NFL players opted out of playing this season.

Yet we have and as usual it’s being lead by the brain dead southern part of the country who are willing to risk 18-22 year old football players health to play football. It is a pathetic that grown men and women and there are plenty on this board are willing to play Russian roulette with college athletes all because we as “fans” want to watch a game.

Grow up!

We slowed the spread and avoided hospital overload only to renew the spread and almost overload hospitals again, this time in all the warm weather places people thought the virus would hate. What’s the play, indeed.

After reading this week what the NFL teams are doing (the Bengals are giving all 3 QB their own office, then signed a 4th who will be offsite at all times except at practice... and of course they’ve spent a fortune on other physical alterations and protocols), I became convinced that maybe the P5’s could make this season work with their $36M in TV revenue, but no way we can pull this off from the poor house. But the lack of coordinated leadership from elected officials to the NCAA to our conference is stunning.

We slowed the spread and avoided hospital overload only to renew the spread and almost overload hospitals again, this time in all the warm weather places people thought the virus would hate. What’s the play, indeed.

After reading this week what the NFL teams are doing (the Bengals are giving all 3 QB their own office, then signed a 4th who will be offsite at all times except at practice... and of course they’ve spent a fortune on other physical alterations and protocols), I became convinced that maybe the P5’s could make this season work with their $36M in TV revenue, but no way we can pull this off from the poor house. But the lack of coordinated leadership from elected officials to the NCAA to our conference is stunning.

It is mind boggling how poorly coordinated the response has been from the NCAA, 9 of the 10 football conferences (the MAC made a clear emphatic decision) and the power players who make college football run.

Based on what Ive read this morning, the ACC and SEC are being holdouts and essentially going with the "f$(k it" plan and want to play no matter the circumstances (the ACC is reportedly discussing a 6-game division only schedule)... The Big10, Pac12, Mountain West and MAC are out... The rest of the conferences are still on the fence, with some member schools saying they will not play and others basically demanding to play.

For us at Marshall, the clear choice if there are going to be no fans allowed (and thus no stadium revenue), is to cancel. As has been stated in a dozen threads over the past month, playing a season with no fans will cost us more money than we will make off media rights revenue since we have no "money game" this year on the road... The question is, does anyone have the nuts to do what ODU did and admit that fact, or do we still want to pretend we have all the resources that the big boys in the P5 have? Or do we wait for the eternal cluster---- that is CUSA to make a decision?

Last edited:
It is mind boggling how poorly coordinated the response has been....

To all of this, on every level. Of course, I can't entirely blame our leaders for being gun-shy, it seems like every attempt to respond to the virus is met with a tsunami of whining and complaint. It's like we're in Kindergarten and the teacher tells us to line up for recess, and half the class is like I HAVE RIGHTS.

I'm also having trouble maintaining confidence in the dignity and grace of my fellow Americans. 160,000 people dead - which includes a couple 9/11's worth of young people - and all anybody seems to be worried about is whether or not Trevor Lawrence will have to wait until next summer to get drafted, or when Disney is finally going to release Mulan.

Based on what Ive read this morning, the ACC and SEC are being holdouts and essentially going with the "f$(k it" plan and want to play no matter the circumstances (the ACC is reportedly discussing a 6-game division only schedule)... The Big10, Pac12 and MAC are out... The rest of the conferences are still on the fence, with some member schools saying they will not play and others basically demanding to play.

Not sure what you are reading but, according to this...

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...football-fall-conference-conference-breakdown

Reports that Big-10 and Pac-10 are not playing is premature.

I was glad to see that the players from across the country are standing up and saying they demand to play. If they would only say that it is racist that the players not be allowed to play this year, the conference leaders would cave in a short time. But maybe they can sway the argument with just their demand that they be allowed to unionize. It will be an exciting few days ahead of us. With ACC and SEC saying they will play, this puts the other P-5 conferences at a disadvantage in many respects, e.g., television revenues, recruiting, fan following, overall popularity, donor support, and media attention.

Reactions: The Real SamC
One thing IS certain: The activity rate on this thread has risen dramatically over the last week. Not pandemic level - yet. Experts are cautioning users to take scheduled breaks from their computers/mobile devices. Stay socially distant and use a filter for your replies......

I was glad to see that the players from across the country are standing up and saying they demand to play. If they would only say that it is racist that the players not be allowed to play this year, the conference leaders would cave in a short time. But maybe they can sway the argument with just their demand that they be allowed to unionize. It will be an exciting few days ahead of us. With ACC and SEC saying they will play, this puts the other P-5 conferences at a disadvantage in many respects, e.g., television revenues, recruiting, fan following, overall popularity, donor support, and media attention.

Huh?
What does race have to do with this?

The players can unionize all they want but they'll be stomped if their representation isn't good, and frankly, it won't be. If they ever even find time to do so and actually know what it means.

You really think ohio state and Michigan are going to lose fans to Alabama and Clemson? Over something plenty of their fans know is a truth, that it is NOT safe to play football at this time?

If 2 out of 14 (I am guessing) consoled university medical doctors say it shouldn't be done, then you know the majority is probably going to side on the, "No, it is not safe."

Not saying this is wrong, but I have not seen this currently. I can also say that, across the nation, hospitals were never overloaded, other than perhaps the hottest spot in NY. In fact, hospitals across the country were placing staff on furlough.

In AZ/Phoenix especially and also Houston and some locations in FL, things were almost at capacity for a while (capacity for Covid, which is different than overall hospital capacity). Yes, hospitals nationally are struggling and laying off staff, because ironically a pandemic hurts the other business at hospitals like surgeries & procedures that are profitable and require dedicated staff. Counterintuitive to think of a pandemic as bad for overall healthcare business but it certainly is.

An article in The Athletic today discussed why some G5 leagues shut down football and some haven’t yet. It was pointed out that we are still learning the long-term effects of this novel virus, and that even though college age kids almost never die from it, there may be possible long term health complications with the heart, lungs and other organs that people are just now realizing. We’re in the 2nd week of camp and yet data & info is rolling in daily and we still don’t really know what we’re dealing with for this fall or even further down the road. The health, financial, legal & liability issues moving ahead are possibly greater than people realize.

The fact that you can't figure out that the $400,000 we make off our media rights deal will not cover the cost of having a football season with no fans/gameday revenue is mind-boggling

For us at Marshall, the clear choice if there are going to be no fans allowed (and thus no stadium revenue), is to cancel. As has been stated in a dozen threads over the past month, playing a season with no fans will cost us more money than we will make off media rights revenue

In the 2019 athletic year, Marshall's revenues were...

$9.2m = University Funds/Subsidy
$6.4m = Student Fees
$5.8m = Rights and Licensing
$3.9m = Other
$3.9m = Contributions and Donations
$3.5m = Ticket Sales (All Sports)

Want to correct yourself? or is that "Mind-Boggling"

So you would toss the 83% of the revenue stream for the 13% Ticket Sales?
Is that Comprehendible?

Last edited:
well, maybe we should shut down even more. after all, it is a virus that most people need to go get tested to even know if they have had it or have it. it is very black plague like. if you are under 50, there is a better chance you die of a lightning strike than COVID but by all means, shut down athletics, church, gatherings, and don't open up the schools......but not "peaceful protests" where people are raped and murdered and private and govt property is destroyed.

makes sense to me. we need these libs in power. I mean after seeing every major city controlled by Dems turning into a lawless, violent dumpster fire, why not export that to the rest of the country? the red states are really missing out.

Uhhhh....what?

Reactions: putnam green
In the 2019 athletic year, Marshall's revenues were...

$9.2m = University Funds/Subsidy
$6.4m = Student Fees
$5.8m = Rights and Licensing
$3.9m = Other
$3.9m = Contributions and Donations
$3.5m = Ticket Sales (All Sports)

Want to correct yourself? or is that "Mind-Boggling"

So you would toss the 83% of the revenue stream for the 13% Ticket Sales?
Is that Comprehendible?

Man you try so hard, which seeing as how clueless you are, must be exhausting (multiple user names, same flawed logic)... The numbers you posted are MU's total athletics revenue (not just football) and include all rights/licensing (IE merchandising, promotional materials, etc).

For football and basketball broadcasting/media we make $400,000 in media rights. That is not enough money to cover the cost of a season.

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/...cle_035d751a-27d6-11e8-a537-5bf6c33fcc22.html

Even in the numbers you have provided... Ticket sales are gone for the fall sports. Contributions and donations I will guarantee will be down drastically this year, especially without football, student fees are potentially going to be refunded, and the state subsidy will be flat at best (potentially down if the state budget needs to be "tightened" again.) We have massive budget problems whether football is played or not.

The numbers you posted are MU's total athletics revenue (not just football) and include all rights/licensing (IE merchandising, promotional materials, etc).

Refer you to: $3.5m = Ticket Sales (All Sports)
Notice ALL Sports?

Contributions and donations I will guarantee will be down drastically this year,

Are you assuming? Do you have any stats on that?

student fees are potentially going to be refunded,

Why would they be refunded? School is in session.

We have massive budget problems whether football is played or not.

https://www.marshall.edu/finance/files/FY19.pdf

Take Fiscal Year '19. It does not look like a Massive Budget problem to me.

Take the Athletic budget:

https://www.marshall.edu/2020/files...tics-at-Marshall-University_April-13-2016.pdf

Look at the bottom line Questions. The first one answers most of the questions you ask.

From here:

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Marshall C-USA
Total Revenue $32,905,904
Total Expenses $32,936,226

Does not look like a "Massive Budget problem"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT