ADVERTISEMENT

Danny D’Antoni - 3 wins from #3 AT...

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
....and 13 wins from #2. And let’s face it - #1, while not unattainable, would require Dan to coach until he is 90. He has been our HC for 6 seasons, and is averaging 19.17 wins per year. Next season (7) is going to have huge expectations, as it should. Everybody back + 2 highly regarded freshman who both could have Kinsey-like impact in their 1st season. I am pretty ready to bet Sam we will win 22.....should I?

btw - The Old Man’s 1st 6 seasons with MU? 119 wins. I would say DD is comparable @ 113....

Last edited:
Hold your water W-S. We haven’t seen our OOC schedule yet. We need a much better start at the beginning - especially at home.
As of now it looks like 2 money games will be at Va Tech and Xavier.
Other games will include UNI and Toledo here with a road game at College of Charleston

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
As of now it looks like 2 money games will be at Va Tech and Xavier.
Other games will include UNI and Toledo here with a road game at College of Charleston

HM, believe Duquesne owes us a home game also. Any word yet on continuation of the Morehead and EKU series? Hope Danny and staff reach out to OU to try and resume that series, with Jeff Boals, with West Virginia ties, now the HC there. Also, I believe we have to go to Akron next season as part of that series. MU would be smart to reach out to James Madison, a relatively easy trip to Harrisonburg, VA. They're opening a plush $85 million new arena in 20-21 and MU should agree, as part of a series deal, to go there in their new arena's inaugural season. They're searching for a new coach, too.

Would love to see that game at VA Tech fall on a Saturday. Would enable a good representation of Herd fans from southern WV to be in Blacksburg!

.... I am pretty ready to bet Sam we will win 22.....should I?

He says young bad players become older bad players.
He'll stick with under 10 wins and is willing to bet his annual contribution to the Big Green.

HM, believe Duquesne owes us a home game also. Any word yet on continuation of the Morehead and EKU series? Hope Danny and staff reach out to OU to try and resume that series, with Jeff Boals, with West Virginia ties, now the HC there. Also, I believe we have to go to Akron next season as part of that series. MU would be smart to reach out to James Madison, a relatively easy trip to Harrisonburg, VA. They're opening a plush $85 million new arena in 20-21 and MU should agree, as part of a series deal, to go there in their new arena's inaugural season. They're searching for a new coach, too.

Would love to see that game at VA Tech fall on a Saturday. Would enable a good representation of Herd fans from southern WV to be in Blacksburg!

Duquesne will be here.. The EKU and Morehead series' will end when the contract ends. I believe the Morehead's ended with this year. I also believe that next year will be the last EKU game. Danny has said he doesn't want to play any more games in HS gyms. As he said he has no choice with FIU, FAU in CUSA but he does have a choice with OOC games

Problem is meister we never get good return home games in our “arena” as it is. I always try to talk to anyone from a visiting team when few fans show up and when you ask them about the Henderson Center there is almost always a long quiet pause before any answer. When you ask Coach Cline why doesn’t Va Tech, Xavier, etc, come here the answer is always money. So we continue to get the MAC teams, etc. who was the last major “name” team to play here?

Reactions: Always The Herd
Problem is meister we never get good return home games in our “arena” as it is. I always try to talk to anyone from a visiting team when few fans show up and when you ask them about the Henderson Center there is almost always a long quiet pause before any answer. When you ask Coach Cline why doesn’t Va Tech, Xavier, etc, come here the answer is always money. So we continue to get the MAC teams, etc. who was the last major “name” team to play here?

South Carolina?

Duquesne will be here.. The EKU and Morehead series' will end when the contract ends. I believe the Morehead's ended with this year. I also believe that next year will be the last EKU game. Danny has said he doesn't want to play any more games in HS gyms. As he said he has no choice with FIU, FAU in CUSA but he does have a choice with OOC games
I don’t like this for a few reasons:

1) Since we have to play in them in-conference, wouldn’t it be a good idea to get a few in OOC?

2) With us having such a hard time finding opponents to fill our schedule to stay away from playing D-II teams, I’m not sure how we can get picky.

3) I hate when small school trash other small schools. We sound exactly the same as the smug WVU fans who put us down.

Its hard to believe that Louisville came to the Field House in 1978. We had Marquette here in the 83-84 season. The 1971 MMI featured Mississippi St. and St. Johns. WVU was here in 81,83,85,87 and 90.

Its hard to believe that Louisville came to the Field House in 1978. We had Marquette here in the 83-84 season. The 1971 MMI featured Mississippi St. and St. Johns. WVU was here in 81,83,85,87 and 90.
The MONEY landscape is very much different today

Reactions: GreenDuke

it was a little easier to get visits in the 70s and 80s. I think I recall Ok State at one of MMIs. Depaul visited the field house too. Cincy and Virginia in the Cam in the 80s too.

Point is our home OOC is .MAC loaded and lesser knowns. Geez we can’t find enough money to get a return home game with Xavier, Dayton, Cincinnati? Keep in mind both Dayton and Cincinnati have head coaches with Marshall ties. At least work a home and home - at least TRY!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I remember Garfield Heard from Ok.State back then.

You’re right Heard did play in Htgn but he played for Univ of Okla in the 60’s.
Garfield and the Sooners participated in the Marshall Inv around ‘68 or ‘69.

Point is our home OOC is .MAC loaded and lesser knowns. Geez we can’t find enough money to get a return home game with Xavier, Dayton, Cincinnati? Keep in mind both Dayton and Cincinnati have head coaches with Marshall ties. At least work a home and home - at least TRY!
Danny as recently as 2 weeks ago was told NO to restarting the MMI and going to a holiday tournament on Myrtle Beach or Charleston, SC

Danny as recently as 2 weeks ago was told NO to restarting the MMI and going to a holiday tournament on Myrtle Beach or Charleston, SC
......sounds about right: Great idea. Was very well supported bitd would prob be able to schedule better than average teams...shot down by whom? We are.......SO shortsighted!!

......sounds about right: Great idea. Was very well supported bitd would prob be able to schedule better than average teams...shot down by whom? We are.......SO shortsighted!!
You really need to ask that question? His boss!

What I have heard is no love lost between DD and MH (who does not even attend Herd BB games).

Every game I’ve seen he was not in attendance BUT I don’t see very good any more! I sit in faculty/student section directly behind the Marshall bench - rarely see him. I must be attending the wrong games!

I’m the last person to support MH but I do have to clarify that he does attend the majority home basketball games.
He is at nearly every game.He and his wife sit across from the visitor bench about 15 rows up. As was said above, there is no love between the two.

What I have heard is no love lost between DD and MH (who does not even attend Herd BB games).

And the lack of support by Mike Hamrick
for our basketball program is soooooo disappointing!

Why can´t we just get along and support all programs at Marshall? it reminds me of the liberal Democrats vs the sheep-led Republicans.

Somebody needs to so start some swamp cleaning.....

HerdZilla22

No kidding he was...you do realize both the Charleston Invitational and Myrtle Beach tournament at Coastal Carolina fields are chosen more than a year in advance...the fields were finalized for these upcoming events LAST year.....and sorry but Marshall is not getting invited to play in the Charleston Invitational. That’s becoming bigger each year and in 2020 is loaded with big name and big traveling fan bases.

The Invitational at Coastal is more realistic but again wayyyyy to late for upcoming season.

MMI has simply gone where other area tournaments have gone such as the UKIT in Lexington and the Bearcat Classic in Cincinnati....simply not worth it. Unless you have a big name sponsor and some TV backing you it’s not going to happen. Both of the above tournaments at the beginning of this post are ESPN backed events....I don’t see ESPN backing the MMI, and don’t see any area sponsors wanting to foot the bill to bring 3 other teams in and cover all of their travel, food and lodging for 3-4 days.

Those are just things on the surface that anyone realizes....so I’m sure there are actual reasons than just saying “Danny was told no” and then stomp out with your arms folded, lip out and complain about it.

Iona just hired Rick Pitino. We need to get arid of DD and hire a legitimate coach.
I don't see MH saying no to him in regards to Basketball.

He is at nearly every game.He and his wife sit across from the visitor bench about 15 rows up. As was said above, there is no love between the two.
~
If there is a riff between the two....when/why did it start......MH seemed to be very happy when he made/announced DD's hiring???? I guess I'm just a little confused.

Iona just hired Rick Pitino. We need to get arid of DD and hire a legitimate coach.
I don't see MH saying no to him in regards to Basketball.

Iona was very clever hiring Pitino when the whole world is distracted from sports. The criticism will be delayed and muted. That said he will win big at Iona just as he has done everywhere(college) else. The profile of the MAAC just raised considerably.

No kidding he was...you do realize both the Charleston Invitational and Myrtle Beach tournament at Coastal Carolina fields are chosen more than a year in advance...the fields were finalized for these upcoming events LAST year.....and sorry but Marshall is not getting invited to play in the Charleston Invitational. That’s becoming bigger each year and in 2020 is loaded with big name and big traveling fan bases.

The Invitational at Coastal is more realistic but again wayyyyy to late for upcoming season.

MMI has simply gone where other area tournaments have gone such as the UKIT in Lexington and the Bearcat Classic in Cincinnati....simply not worth it. Unless you have a big name sponsor and some TV backing you it’s not going to happen. Both of the above tournaments at the beginning of this post are ESPN backed events....I don’t see ESPN backing the MMI, and don’t see any area sponsors wanting to foot the bill to bring 3 other teams in and cover all of their travel, food and lodging for 3-4 days.

Those are just things on the surface that anyone realizes....so I’m sure there are actual reasons than just saying “Danny was told no” and then stomp out with your arms folded, lip out and complain about it.
I wasn't talking about next year. That schedule has been pretty much set for a couple of months. We have had opportunities to go to Nassau and Myrtle Beach.

The cost to bring in a team for a MMI would be about $90k per team for 2 of the 3 and a little less for a third

DD will tell you it was MH who did not vote for moving the CUSA tournament to Myrtle Beach. Begs the question why MH would not want that tournament there when a huge Marshall Alumni/fan base would be present. Makes zero sense when no one goes to Texas.

DD will tell you it was MH who did not vote for moving the CUSA tournament to Myrtle Beach. Begs the question why MH would not want that tournament there when a huge Marshall Alumni/fan base would be present. Makes zero sense when no one goes to Texas.

I have never heard him say that MH voted against it, He simply says the conference voted it down

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT