ADVERTISEMENT

Darius Hodge

Hodge was the one player from last year's team that I thought would make the NFL. So quick and strong. Hope this incident does not get in his way to an NFL career.

My guess is he had a warrant for this sitting out there. When he was in Huntington and Cincinnati he was safe, but when he came home for the holiday they got him.

If you made a special wing of the Marshall Hall of Fame just for players from the Doc Holliday era, it'd be a bust of Vinny Curry and then a wall of mug shots.

My guess is he had a warrant for this sitting out there. When he was in Huntington and Cincinnati he was safe, but when he came home for the holiday they got him.

If you made a special wing of the Marshall Hall of Fame just for players from the Doc Holliday era, it'd be a bust of Vinny Curry and then a wall of mug shots.
Did Snyder recruit Curry?

Did Snyder recruit Curry?
He did, I was just throwing him Doc's way so he'd have somebody without priors to claim. I guess he could get credit for Lee Smith too, but he does have an arrest on his record.

Cato doesn't have a criminal record, but I'm nervous about his future. He left here without an education or a support structure around him, and now he's clinging to football by his fingernails because he doesn't have any other options. He's currently in the latest iteration of the Arena League, playing for the Orlando Predators, backing up (Division II) UNC Pembrooke's Patrick O'Brien.

If he leaves to take a job at Target, he'll probably get a raise.

So we've never had problem players under any other HC? Also do Marshall players only make the HoF by going to the NFL? I'm not saying Doc is a good coach, but some of this program's greatest players came through that Shewey during Doc's tenure. Acting like he was the only HC with player issues is hilarious and hypocritical.

What you're really saying is you only care about off the field incidents if we don't win. Had he won 4+ conference titles that stuff wouldn't matter right?

Reactions: The Real SamC
So we've never had problem players under any other HC? Also do Marshall players only make the HoF by going to the NFL? I'm not saying Doc is a good coach, but some of this program's greatest players came through that Shewey during Doc's tenure. Acting like he was the only HC with player issues is hilarious and hypocritical.

What you're really saying is you only care about off the field incidents if we don't win. Had he won 4+ conference titles that stuff wouldn't matter right?
@BleedsGreen33

Check your profile. I think you've been hacked by Aaron Perkins or Coach Stowers.

@BleedsGreen33

Check your profile. I think you've been hacked by Aaron Perkins or Coach Stowers.
No. I just find the argument inconsistent. We're just going to pretend all the two-a-day party arrests never happened?

Doc needed to go, but to use the argument that one of the reasons was because of his players' off the field behavior is one of them is dishonest because there was just as much if not more going on before Doc got here and it's going to happen under Huff and the next coach after him.

We're going to forget about Bernie Morris breaking a beer bottle over a pregnant girl's head or Jonathan Goddard's fight in the middle of 20th street? Are we just going to forget about the players suspended prior to the Florida game? Is it fine that Randy never went to class and got high all the time because we won championships?

Player incidents off the field were not unique to Doc Holliday. Also the last I checked Doc isn't leaving under a cloud of NCAA investigations either. Dude struggled to coach games, but at least Huff isn't starting off his tenure with his hands tied behind his back.

So we've never had problem players under any other HC?
Oh Pruett was definitely running an asylum back in the day, and I'm not sure how the modern world would react to him appearing in court to recommend Stan Hill's charges be dropped, or standing next to Bernie Morris in public support after he had chucked a beer bottle at a pregnant woman.

Mark Snyder played Josh Johnson after his domestic violence arrest, but the moratorium on props at the time limited how many problem kids he had on campus at once. Snyder was compelled by the BOG to "do it the right way" as best he could, but that's just not how college football works. (George O'Leary smiles from his throne in Hell.)

Doc was on a different level, when it came to plucking wart-covered frogs from the swamps of Florida and elsewhere. The first three recruits he brought to campus robbed a pizza delivery guy the weekend they got here and were gone before the first fall practice. And I can definitely say this - no other Marshall coach has played a guy facing Federal drug charges.

Recency bias is a big player here in my prejudice, but I kid you not: the last half of Doc's tenure, anytime a player would get a game ball, my friends and I would start a rhetorical pool to see how long before he was arrested for something. It wasn't that all of his players were criminals, miscreants and nutjobs, just most of the good ones.

Both of the programs I've been involved with have had their share of, ah...problem kids.

At Penn State, they were the few. They were the odd ones who didn't really fit in. They either got with the program, left - by executive decision or of their own accord, or learned to play a role that made them less conspicuous. Overall, the team was a group of young men you could be proud of.

At Marshall, I'm sorry to say, it was different. I won't go so far as to say that the delinquents, miscreants, gangsters, and thieves were the majority. But there were definitely enough of them that they didn't feel out of place on the team. They had their own clique; they had their own influence; they had voting rights.

It's been difficult, as a parent, to think of my son being grouped in with the descriptions of Marshall eras I've been reading in this post. When I read - in other posts - the generalizations about college football players as drug-dealing, gun-toting partiers with little interest in the classroom. Getting paid by boosters while someone takes their exams for them. Yeah, I'm sure all that happens. It wasn't my son's experience at Marshall, though he still gets a lot of guilt-by-association.

But know that even at Marshall - a place I've called the wild, wild west of college football - those of the nefarious persuasion are still the minority. There are too many of them here, but the inmates haven't completely taken over the asylum...yet. I haven't liked that character has been a back-burner consideration in my son's time at Marshall...and before, apparently. I am hopeful that the new regime will push integrity to the forefront.

Well, if you are going to do it at least win bigger. Doc, got to the point he couldn't even control his own team. I wonder how much that we don't even know about was swept under the rug.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Both of the programs I've been involved with have had their share of, ah...problem kids.

At Penn State, they were the few. They were the odd ones who didn't really fit in. They either got with the program, left - by executive decision or of their own accord, or learned to play a role that made them less conspicuous. Overall, the team was a group of young men you could be proud of.

At Marshall, I'm sorry to say, it was different. I won't go so far as to say that the delinquents, miscreants, gangsters, and thieves were the majority. But there were definitely enough of them that they didn't feel out of place on the team. They had their own clique; they had their own influence; they had voting rights.

It's been difficult, as a parent, to think of my son being grouped in with the descriptions of Marshall eras I've been reading in this post. When I read - in other posts - the generalizations about college football players as drug-dealing, gun-toting partiers with little interest in the classroom. Getting paid by boosters while someone takes their exams for them. Yeah, I'm sure all that happens. It wasn't my son's experience at Marshall, though he still gets a lot of guilt-by-association.

But know that even at Marshall - a place I've called the wild, wild west of college football - those of the nefarious persuasion are still the minority. There are too many of them here, but the inmates haven't completely taken over the asylum...yet. I haven't liked that character has been a back-burner consideration in my son's time at Marshall...and before, apparently. I am hopeful that the new regime will push integrity to the forefront.
Great post. I am not naive to think all players are innocent Golden boys and all have pure hearts but tbis hurts to read.
I wish we didn’t recruit certain kids in order to be competitive and win. That certainly takes the glamour from it. It’s also sad that Marshall has the reputation as a rogue school that recruits players that many programs wouldn’t take.
Frankly, I’d rather have good solid citizens and hard working football players and not do as well, rather than what we seem to have and win big. Granted I know it may be only a handful but it hurts the whole program. Doc seemed to take many more chances on kids than previous coaches.

Hoping Huff takes a higher road.

ADVERTISEMENT