ADVERTISEMENT

PRACTICE REPORT Day 1 Morning Session

Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
By James Collier

Day one of Marshall football fall camp is complete with many veterans rounding out the group. With players in helmets and shorts, of course there is only so much one can tell, but some showed why this could be there season…and why it won’t for some.

The Bird Has Landed

Michael Birdsong took the field this morning for the new starting quarterback for the Thundering Herd and wasted little time showing off his arm. Many of his throws were like frozen ropes and lasers toward the receiver with the occasional misfire here and there. Birdsong spoke highly of the work he and his receivers put in over the summer, most notably Davonte Allen.

“Personally coming off the spring, I felt the chemistry with me and my wide receivers built throughout the spring,” Birdsong said. “We added the summer to that and you could see out here today that every deep ball with Davonte was right there on him and that’s because we worked every day after lifting.”

Birdsong said the biggest thing he gained last season while working with the scout team was going up against the top defense in the conference every day.

“Being able to go against James Rouse and throw against Swagg (Darryl Roberts), Taj (Letman), DJ (Hunter) and all those guys is what helped me,” Birdsong said.

Allen and Birdsong hooked up to torch Cory Tindal on a deep route on the first play from scrimmage in the 7-on-7 drills. More on Allen later.

Birdsong spread the ball around nicely and seemed to have a veteran swagger about him the entire practice. He also made a few nice throws to his new outside receiver Deon-Tay McManus who made a great adjustment on a pass to haul in a catch over Keith Baxter.

Birdsong put the ball where his receivers could catch them and did not try to force an ill-advised throws.

The Old 6 is the New 3

With the change in jersey number, will this mean the donning of a new era for Davonte Allen. While Allen was shaky out of the gate this morning, when the offense went live against the defense, he looked like midseason form. As mentioned before, his first grab was a deep ball over Tindal, followed by two diving catches on routes over the middle in traffic. If Allen can continue this type of production this season, expect to hear Birdsong to Allen on the deep ball often.

The Hand Never Stop Giving

Doc Holliday said last season that the group of receivers might have been the deepest he had ever had at Marshall. This year’s group is going to give that statement a run for its money. With the move of McManus to the outside, Birdsong now has two legitimate deep threats with a host of short yardage guys underneath. Hyleck Foster had a few juggles and drops to get going but settled in and made the catches late in the session.

Justin Hunt is a guy that I’ve always thought looked the part but just couldn’t show up when the lights came on, but today, he made some nice grabs including a shoe-string grab off the turf on a low ball delivered by Gunnar Holcombe.

Emanuel Beal should signs of being confident and made some nice catches during the 7-on-7 session.

Tight end Ryan Yurachek has gone from back up to spotlight in only a year as the sophomore led the pack of tight ends. Yurachek seems very confident and comfortable with Birdsong and looks to be a primary target virtually anywhere on the field.

Let’s D It Up

Typically it’s tough to judge much about the defense until they are in full pads but a few players stood out today. Former wide out converted cornerback Rodney Allen had two of the bright spots during the session. Allen broke up a pass intended for Beal from Holcombe on a curl route, then picked the backup quarterback in the 11-on-11. Corner is the one position I think the Herd needs serious help this season and Allen could be the guy that provides that spark.

Linebacker Raheim Huskey ran with the first team today and nearly picked Holcombe during 7-on-7. Huskey settled into the middle of the field and made a great read that nearly had him stepping directly into the path of the intended pass. Huskey had a rough spring season after contributing last year but settled in once the drills began.

Tindal is in over his head at corner with no help in sight. Every time he lined up against Allen this morning, it was like watching Cato take advantage of Ohio’s Devin Bass last season at the Joan. Tindal is undersized and always out of position. I still say he will be moved back to nickel. Should this happen, the next question is who fills the open corner spot. I hope to have more insight on that later in the week.

Evan McKelvey looks in the best shape I’ve seen him since being at Marshall. After returning from his second ACL tear, McKelvey says he has a lot to prove after the team took his jersey to the field every game last season when he could not.

“That was inspiration,” McKelvey said. “Knowing that they put my jersey on every time that whole season, now it makes me feel like I’ve got a lot of weight to pull and that I’ve got a lot to prove.”

Earlier this week Doc said for the first time since McKelvey has played at Marshall, he finally looks like a linebacker.

“Everyday he (Doc) passed me he said ‘Evan I want you to be 220,’” McKelvey said. “I finally got up to 220 and he told me I better keep it.”

“All I can say is the real 31 is back and I just have to see what I can do.”

Same Name Different Number

Here are a few number changes to open camp. Expect this to update several times throughout.

#1 from #15: Angelo Jean-Louis

#3 from #6: Davonte Allen

#4 from #16: Deon-Tay McManus

#7 from #29: Antavis Rowe

#9 from #56: Shawn Petty

#11 from #34: Rodney Allen

#14 from #26: Kendall Gant

#23 from #27: Tony Pittman

#99 from #92: Ricardo Williams

#44 from #96 Blake Keller

I will pass along any new ones as they happen.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.