ADVERTISEMENT

DD and the Transfer Portal

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Has Coach D’antoni gotten any players out of the portal? Anyone know? I see the Coach up north has now gotten several and their are plenty to pick from.

None that I’ve heard announced. Landon mentioned in today’s paper that they are getting a point guard transfer finalized.

We need a ton of help. Need a point guard, a big man, and someone that can shoot a 3. That’s a lot to ask.

One guy isn't gonna help unless his name is Jordan, Johnson or Bird. We need one or two more. jmo

One guy isn't gonna help unless his name is Jordan, Johnson or Bird. We need one or two more. jmo
One guard if it's the right one will make a world of difference. We operated last year without a true PG. If we get a good facilitator that can penetrate and shoot it, and keep the ball moving it will help immensely.

That said, I really wanted at least 3 transfers and was hoping for 4, and at a minimum wanted one big (4 or 5) that fits our systema and a guard.

I do think a good guard will make a big difference.

According to Herdmeister, we have only one scholarship to give. So the point guard will be all that Dan can bring in unless someone else leaves.

According to Herdmeister, we have only one scholarship to give. So the point guard will be all that Dan can bring in unless someone else leaves.
That’s the issue. 3/4 needed to bolt for better playing opportunities but we chose to keep them on the bench . Maybe one will be the difference. I hope, but I don’t think one will make up for all the issues we have.

I saw somewhere that we have offered the best player from Glenville State a spot via the portal... He was something like the second leading scorer in the nation for DII.

Also, we have had two players transfer out... No idea how that effects the scholarship number for next year.

We had 1 open spot and 2 players in mind for that spot as of this morning.

It will be a guard.

He’s (DD) going to need more than one to make a difference even with Kinsey staying unless our OOC schedule is loaded with lower level teams. Just saying.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Herdmeister also said we were going to be pretty good so take it what a grain of salt
Each and every year, 75% of this forums posters (maybe the number is higher) state the basketball team is going to be good. One can easily pull up a thread from last summer. 11-2 OOC predictions, even one 12-1 OOC prediction, Herd is better than the being pre-season #3 or #4 or whatever it was. A few posters knew better, but as usual, received the annual scoffing/scolding that always takes place in early November, once the football team has nose-dived in what has slowly become an annual mid-Fall tradition.

Coach will turn 76 this year. Hillbilly ball is back for another year. Expectations in April are always high, and will slowly increase as we get closer to Thanksgiving Day. As snow begins to fall in early to mid-December, those same expectations will gradually flame out, and the calls of hiring a program savior will begin to grow louder and louder, all of course, falling on deaf ears.

It is what it is. The basketball program is simply a gimmick. It's something 75% of the schools had to do (pretend to take basketball seriously) in C-USA, and now the Sun Belt, in order to fulfill the D1 requirement.

Each and every year, 75% of this forums posters (maybe the number is higher) state the basketball team is going to be good. One can easily pull up a thread from last summer. 11-2 OOC predictions, even one 12-1 OOC prediction, Herd is better than the being pre-season #3 or #4 or whatever it was. A few posters knew better, but as usual, received the annual scoffing/scolding that always takes place in early November, once the football team has nose-dived in what has slowly become an annual mid-Fall tradition.

Coach will turn 76 this year. Hillbilly ball is back for another year. Expectations in April are always high, and will slowly increase as we get closer to Thanksgiving Day. As snow begins to fall in early to mid-December, those same expectations will gradually flame out, and the calls of hiring a program savior will begin to grow louder and louder, all of course, falling on deaf ears.

It is what it is. The basketball program is simply a gimmick. It's something 75% of the schools had to do (pretend to take basketball seriously) in C-USA, and now the Sun Belt, in order to fulfill the D1 requirement.
Good post the only statement that I take exception to is the "Expectations in April are always high in April", this April expectations are about as high as expecting the Titanic to dock in NYC! We all know what the problem is and can only hope Dan will just step away after this swan song season.

Reactions: Elkview

A great summary of the state of MU fandom vis basketball, especially on this board. Seeing MU basketball for what it is, always results in those who, almost always, turn out to be wrong, scolding the knowledgeable.

Expecting DD to be successful in the “portal” shows a total lack of understanding of who DD is and his level of ability.

But as to the hoped for “savior” and all of that, it will never happen. This administration has more or less openly stated that basketball is a token effort. DD, when he goes, will be replaced by some guy. The management expectations (none) will remain the same. They just don’t care.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Wonder how many pud teams will appear on the OOC schedule in an effort to bolster wins next year?

I would say at least 2, probably 3, non-DI games. AFAIK, we have no step up games, such as this year vs. Indiana, scheduled. Look for the usual MACers and OVCers.

The SBC is an easier conference in basketball. It is. Which is more of the tragedy. If we had chosen to make a serious effort, we could dominate. Sadly we make a token effort.

I would say at least 2, probably 3, non-DI games. AFAIK, we have no step up games, such as this year vs. Indiana, scheduled. Look for the usual MACers and OVCers.

The SBC is an easier conference in basketball. It is. Which is more of the tragedy. If we had chosen to make a serious effort, we could dominate. Sadly we make a token effort.
I perhaps am perhaps too Pollyanna in my view. I agree that 2022-23 will be a washout year with a "token" effort as you describe. But I have to believe Dan is gone next Spring, if he remains I'll be wholeheartedly in your camp that the administration has given up on basketball with is a decision that I can't support.

I perhaps am perhaps too Pollyanna in my view. I agree that 2022-23 will be a washout year with a "token" effort as you describe. But I have to believe Dan is gone next Spring, if he remains I'll be wholeheartedly in your camp that the administration has given up on basketball with is a decision that I can't support.
Well, two things. While it has been reported that DD signed a “one year deal” that is not what the press release actually said. It said that he signed a one year deal so they could work out a SERIES OF CONTRACTS. Thus DD will be here for a long as he wants. And any administration willing to put up with DD, is not serious. When DD finally goes, one of his clueless staff will replace him, or some retread loser coach. We are not serious, we are making a token effort. DD is the current face of that token effort, but he will be followed by future token efforts.

well for one, when I look at the Big Green numbers and then also follow some of the various campaigns or even smaller fundraising events...I think we deserve token efforts. We certainly donate like it's a token effort, why would we expect anymore in return.

Dan does love his southern WV roots. With Slay's addition, all his assistants grew up and played high school ball in southern WV, including Dan himself. Hope this year proves him to be right about this strategy/loyalty. And he has recruited five players who played their high school ball in southern WV. Don't know if this affection for southern WV has been a factor in his success/lack of success at the helm of MU basketball. But it does seem unusual for a coach to favor one area so much.

Ive never understood how or why we dont use the portal more. There are over 1,300 kids in the portal. You'd think a player from a big time program who rides the pine would love to come to a place where every player has the green light at all times. Imagine getting 5min a game at an ACC/SEC/Big10 school and then going to some place where you can jack up 15 shots a game if you want. Sounds like a desirable situation to me.

Ive never understood how or why we dont use the portal more. There are over 1,300 kids in the portal. You'd think a player from a big time program who rides the pine would love to come to a place where every player has the green light at all times. Imagine getting 5min a game at an ACC/SEC/Big10 school and then going to some place where you can jack up 15 shots a game if you want. Sounds like a desirable situation to me.

Prior to this off-season, I completely agree.

Given Dan’s current situation, other coaches can use Dan’s contract (or lack thereof) against him.

The only type of transfer that is legitimately going to consider Marshall….is a one-year grad transfer.

Kids as you describe are typically high maintenance. Good players, despite only playing as a role player, will pick the larger schools, mainly because they want to win, and have a shot at winning a championship. Marshall stopped playing for championships when Bobby Pruett was forced out. That, and when they cut out those $22 an hour janitorial jobs.

Dan does love his southern WV roots. With Slay's addition, all his assistants grew up and played high school ball in southern WV, including Dan himself. Hope this year proves him to be right about this strategy/loyalty. And he has recruited five players who played their high school ball in southern WV. Don't know if this affection for southern WV has been a factor in his success/lack of success at the helm of MU basketball. But it does seem unusual for a coach to favor one area so much.
Hoping that “this year proves him to be right” is like believing that this time Lucy won’t pull the football away from Charlie Brown. We already know how this “hillbilly boys” nonsense turns out.

Understand DD’s life story. Mullens, in the mid 60s wasn’t awful. The entire coalfields weren’t awful. Yes, coal mining has always been a s***y way to make a living, but it paid very well. Mullens, which was more of a railroad town than a coal town, was a nice Mayberry like town. It had stores, a hospital, movies, car dealers. And the entire culture was wrapped around sports. Particularly basketball. Each little town had a HS (Wyoming county had 6) and the whole life value of people was tied to what some 16-18 year olds did, or what they did when they were 16-18. In that world, getting the best players out of those schools was a valid and winning way to run a basketball program.

But the cracks in that society were already beginning to show. Mechanization and outrageous labor costs were already causing population loss and, more importantly, a self-selected population loss of the gifted, the useful, and the hard working. DD did what a lot of people in his generation did. He went to Marshall and got a degree and used it to GTFO of WV.

Lived a nice life as a PE teacher and HS coach. Not an unusual story. 1000s just like him.

Except he, for reasons no one can explain, is spending his golden years coaching Marshall. And, having been gone for 50 years, does not understand that everyone with grit, values, or common sense has done just what he did. GTFO. Leaving behind a shattered society of people with no ambition beyond the next oxy hit. Four out of five that lived there before have left. The one remaining LIKES it there.

Meanwhile in Huntington, MU has gown. It is undeniably a vastly better institution every year. Huntington, however, has likewise collapsed. The big rust belt industries are gone. The town is more and more based on the college and health care.

Not having been here for 50 years, DD wants it to still be 1965. When out recuiting the WVIAC coaches was easy for MU and could make MU something close to a power.

Those days are gone. The kids who would have been stars for Mullens, or Pineville, or Northfolk, or Welch, or Woodrow, or so on, are playing for HSs in the Carolinas or Georgia or Florida. Where their parents, or in many cases by now, grandparents wisely fled to.

Hoping that “this year proves him to be right” is like believing that this time Lucy won’t pull the football away from Charlie Brown. We already know how this “hillbilly boys” nonsense turns out.

Understand DD’s life story. Mullens, in the mid 60s wasn’t awful. The entire coalfields weren’t awful. Yes, coal mining has always been a s***y way to make a living, but it paid very well. Mullens, which was more of a railroad town than a coal town, was a nice Mayberry like town. It had stores, a hospital, movies, car dealers. And the entire culture was wrapped around sports. Particularly basketball. Each little town had a HS (Wyoming county had 6) and the whole life value of people was tied to what some 16-18 year olds did, or what they did when they were 16-18. In that world, getting the best players out of those schools was a valid and winning way to run a basketball program.

But the cracks in that society were already beginning to show. Mechanization and outrageous labor costs were already causing population loss and, more importantly, a self-selected population loss of the gifted, the useful, and the hard working. DD did what a lot of people in his generation did. He went to Marshall and got a degree and used it to GTFO of WV.

Lived a nice life as a PE teacher and HS coach. Not an unusual story. 1000s just like him.

Except he, for reasons no one can explain, is spending his golden years coaching Marshall. And, having been gone for 50 years, does not understand that everyone with grit, values, or common sense has done just what he did. GTFO. Leaving behind a shattered society of people with no ambition beyond the next oxy hit. Four out of five that lived there before have left. The one remaining LIKES it there.

Meanwhile in Huntington, MU has gown. It is undeniably a vastly better institution every year. Huntington, however, has likewise collapsed. The big rust belt industries are gone. The town is more and more based on the college and health care.

Not having been here for 50 years, DD wants it to still be 1965. When out recuiting the WVIAC coaches was easy for MU and could make MU something close to a power.

Those days are gone. The kids who would have been stars for Mullens, or Pineville, or Northfolk, or Welch, or Woodrow, or so on, are playing for HSs in the Carolinas or Georgia or Florida. Where their parents, or in many cases by now, grandparents wisely fled to.
The Lucy and Charlie Brown analogy made me LOL!

Reactions: bbneutralfan

He's trying to compensate for his inability to coach.
I will admit, its a good strategy, woo all the locals by offering local HS players.
Bring a type of identity that connects with the old people who look at the CAM in disgust and say, "The Fieldhouse...now THAT was a party" and all that other outdated BS.
Take in some overseas players who are decent and put them on a team with an overly large amount of reliance on the 3 pointer.
Do alright in OOC play, get pummeled often by the P5, inexcusable losses by high double digits at times in conference, constantly blow leads...the usual DD stuff.

Make history (for MU it is, for the rest of the NCAA it was Tuesday), use that to ride the coat tails of success until you realize your name recognition alone isn't cutting it, the really talented players are NOT from your area and/nor do you know how to coach them, and you are hit with the Transfer Portal like it was a real portal to an alternate dimension.
But you go back to being the type who makes people feel warm and fuzzy about being a small town mentality, while at the same time, confusing them that expanding your horizons outside of said small town was only real success you had.
That's DD in a nutshell...that and taking over the MU BoG and having JJ involved in removing some people you didn't like because you won something and demanded an unrealistic amount in return...that's another story.

Reactions: The Real SamC

I responded to another post before I read this.
Pretty much true.

Kids as you describe are typically high maintenance. Good players, despite only playing as a role player, will pick the larger schools, mainly because they want to win, and have a shot at winning a championship. Marshall stopped playing for championships when Bobby Pruett was forced out. That, and when they cut out those $22 an hour janitorial jobs.
Hey, they're legal now. No questions asked.

Hey MH, don't KNOCK those $22 an hour janitor positions. Just proves that the HERD Athletic Admin. and Football staff were DECADES ahead of all the NIL crap currently rampant in NCAA sports programs!! ;)

Let me offer another prospective about Marshall and the Tri state. Huntington (Cabell/Mason County) are making a comeback but some of you have your head so far up your butt you can't see anything positive Nucor is bringing 800-1,000 steel worker jobs and a coal processing plant is bringing another 500 to the same area on Rt 2. As far as Marshall goes we have a top notch new President and the future is looking good. DD is trying to recruit our region, WV, KY, Ohio, NC and VA. Plenty of talented kids have played here from those areas.

Let me offer another prospective about Marshall and the Tri state. Huntington (Cabell/Mason County) are making a comeback but some of you have your head so far up your butt you can't see anything positive Nucor is bringing 800-1,000 steel worker jobs and a coal processing plant is bringing another 500 to the same area on Rt 2. As far as Marshall goes we have a top notch new President and the future is looking good. DD is trying to recruit our region, WV, KY, Ohio, NC and VA. Plenty of talented kids have played here from those areas.
Only time will tell.

Serbia?

Reactions: The Real SamC
ADVERTISEMENT