ADVERTISEMENT

Demise of the G5

Like all such ideas from the SJW hypocrites at ESPN, this is an awful idea. Any player given a chance by a place like MU who abandons it later for a higher level program is a POS, of course.

However, this sets up a more or less "try out" system (old timers will remember this was the oh, so egregious violation that got us kicked of the lowly MAC in the 60s). The really top places will be 5-6 deep in each position and the wash outs will be there for the picking.

All it does is create roster instability for all levels of football and basketball.

If a kid comes to Marshall, has two blowup seasons and transfers to Ohio State for his junior year, that means Marshall can pick up a kid that has two blowup years at JMU or a kid that is 5th on the depth chart at a bigger school and needs playing time... New faces coming and going more often and for shorter terms.

Overall, its a shitty idea, but it doesn't change the format we have now all that drastically. P5 will still be a step up from G5 and G5 will still be a step up from FCS, etc. It will just be easier to move between steps.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Exactly. This new rule could actually help G5 programs.

I agree. The graduate transfer rule and how fast guys are graduating these days already makes it easy for guys to have 2-3 good years then try to move up.

Between that and the way waivers are being handed out, this doesn’t harm our competitive ability much I don’t believe. If anything, it probably cuts out the crap politics of the transfer waiver process.

I do agree that overall the free agent transfer crap is too much. But if it’s going to be going on, at least cut the politics out of it and this levels the playing field.

Correct. You left out piss poor attitudes and those kicked out of a P5 school.
I'm kind of like "meh" about this anyway - the NCAA pretty much already did this with the grad transfer rule. Look at somebody like Obi Obiallo and tell me that free agency doesn't already exist within the current rules.

Besides, our biggest problem hasn't been transfers to P5, its been players catching a little shine in C-USA and thinking they belong in the pro's. I just googled Malik Gant hoping to have to revise this post, but it looks like I don't. $388,000 is his lifetime take-home pay from the NFL. Good luck stretching that out for 50 years.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Like all such ideas from the SJW hypocrites at ESPN, this is an awful idea. Any player given a chance by a place like MU who abandons it later for a higher level program is a POS, of course.

However, this sets up a more or less "try out" system (old timers will remember this was the oh, so egregious violation that got us kicked of the lowly MAC in the 60s). The really top places will be 5-6 deep in each position and the wash outs will be there for the picking.
I vote none of us watch the next time the Herd is on ESPN. Sons of bitches!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT