ADVERTISEMENT

Doc and bowl game locations

Platinum Buffalo
Jun 1, 2002
I know Doc fights real hard to play his bowl games in Florida because he has so many kids from that state and it allows him to recruit further, but do people think it hurts fan interest when the coach keeps the games in the same location?

It doesn't hurt fan interest at all... For a lot of reasons... Primarily, Florida is easy to get to if you live east of the Mississippi. Second, the weather is good. And third, it's a "destination." People vacation to Florida in the winter all the time.

Also, it's not like Marshall plays in Florida every year. In the last decade we have played bowl games in New Mexico, Maryland and Michigan as well. We have been to Tampa/St. Pete three times and Miami once.

There are plenty of things to fault the head coach for, but bowl locations isn't one of them. ESPN, CUSA and our AD all have more say in the bowl location than our head coach, and even if Doc did pick our location you couldn't blame him for wanting to play in prime recruiting territory.

I'll be honest, I don't think we pull as many quality kids from FL as we once did. Doc may have lost his edge or more schools are mining FL for kids, or both. Glad we are looking elsewhere for recruits than we have in the past.

Reactions: mubaseballking
I'll be honest, I don't think we pull as many quality kids from FL as we once did. Doc may have lost his edge or more schools are mining FL for kids, or both. Glad we are looking elsewhere for recruits than we have in the past.

Especially the kids on offense after they've watched the Marshall offense from the past few seasons.

Reactions: Elkview
Bowl - RhinoD covers it. If you are not in the playoffs, Florida should be the preferred bowl location for any team in the eastern time zone, regardless on the coach’s recruiting system. It is far easier to get to than Texas or New Mexico. And because of the rotten local economy, there are plenty of MU related people in Florida.

Doc - When Doc was making his bones as a recruiter, Florida had only 3 I-A programs. Florida, Florida State and real Miami. And there were 30 less I-A programs nationally. So after the 3 local schools got top pick, and then the SEC and ACC got what they got, Doc competed, and competed well, for the culls for WVU. Florida culls were the basis of not just WVU football, but most of the Big Least / Leastleftover and more than that. Most teams along the eastern seaboard were culls out of Florida. Today, there are 4 G5 directional Floridas, International, Atlantic, Central, and South (the most woefully misnamed school in America) and plenty of new I-A programs that are all involved in Florida too. Different era.

A lot more competition for those kids today than 20 years ago

Kiff should be thanking Doc for tossing the Charlotte game, thus giving the opportunity to be hired by Old Miss. If he wouldn't have won CUSA this year...Who Knows?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT