ADVERTISEMENT

Doc Fungus

MichiganHerd

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 17, 2011
Brewpub w/coeds
90 degrees up here right now. Too hot for a fire, but I'll make one tomorrow since my wife wants more of these limbs cut on the pine trees. We're attracting bluebirds to the yard with probably a dozen nesting boxes. Several have showed up to look at the accommodations, but the sparrows like nesting boxes as well and have pretty much rooted the bluebirds out. Common thing throughout the country. If you like birds, watch the bluebird guy on YouTube. He has 320 boxes scattered throughout his area in north Dakota or maybe it's Utah. Dude is 90 and drives over 5,000 miles each spring and summer checking out these boxes and monitoring them. Really good show to watch, even if you hate birds. My cat likes birds, and played with a wren earlier, but I grabbed the cat when the wren was about to run out of breath.

Bluebirds are the thing, but mostly attracting lots of finches and doves, and the normal cowbells and sparrows. Two types of finches in our yard. Males are always the most attractive in all species except for the human race.

One of God's funny tricks.

My wife and one of my daughters like bird watching. They set up a feeder gimmick out in the yard but the damn squirrels keep attacking it and knocking it down. The kids got a lesson in nature the other week as a little robins nest and eggs got attacked by a hawk of some sort.

I’ve been slammed at the clinic. Headed for a much needed week off at the beach - haven’t had a week off in a long time.

Going to hopefully drink a little and eat too much then back to the grind.

My wife and one of my daughters like bird watching. They set up a feeder gimmick out in the yard but the damn squirrels keep attacking it and knocking it down. The kids got a lesson in nature the other week as a little robins nest and eggs got attacked by a hawk of some sort.

I’ve been slammed at the clinic. Headed for a much needed week off at the beach - haven’t had a week off in a long time.

Going to hopefully drink a little and eat too much then back to the grind.
Have your wife and daughter watch the bluebird man on YouTube. It is great, and also instrumental. YouTube has many videos on how to properly setup boxes to attract birds in your area. Of course, it also requires bird baths, dirt areas, and feeders that are specifically for various types of birds, including the type of food you put out. My wife puts out all types of food to attract the birds she desires, and grape jelly has us probably two dozen finches that nest here. The backyard sounds are amazing but they're not better than Tyler or the Lumineers.

I really liked watching the area birds until I walked out to my vehicle and found it covered with bird crap. If only those crap machines could be house broken.

ADVERTISEMENT