ADVERTISEMENT

Doc Interview

He always welcomed the high expectations the fan base has for each season but cautioned that it’s important for the administration to have realistic expectations for the program.

"I hope the next guy who goes in there, whoever that is, and wins a championship every year. I think at this point, that’s a little unrealistic and hopefully the expectations aren’t for the next coach to win a championship every year.”

If that was ever an "expectation" he would have been thrown out on his ass years ago. His contempt for the fans that want championships is exactly why a change needed to be made. Thank you Dr. Gilbert.

has someone equal
No thanks

What Doc Thinks is Required:
Championship game appearances: 100%
Conference Championships: 100%

What Doc Got Paid $7 Million over 11 Years to Actually Do:
Championship game appearances: 27.2%
Conference Championships: 9.1%

What would be a realistic expectation? I am asking an honest question. I mean when exactly did Marshall become the flagship program of CUSA? Making the conf champ game over 1/4 of the time is pretty good in my opinion. Yes I wish this year ended better, but it is 100% the result of a locker room problem. That can't be all on Doc. Look at someone like Pitts- he shit on WVU and was one of the reasons Vic K left because Pitts needed to be WOKE and so brave. He probably did the same thing to Marshall and look what happened to Doc in the wake that crap.

I am so sick of cancel culture and all that BS. These pansies need to stop watching social media for their morals and values.

Reactions: The Real SamC
What would be a realistic expectation? I am asking an honest question. I mean when exactly did Marshall become the flagship program of CUSA? Making the conf champ game over 1/4 of the time is pretty good in my opinion. Yes I wish this year ended better, but it is 100% the result of a locker room problem. That can't be all on Doc. Look at someone like Pitts- he shit on WVU and was one of the reasons Vic K left because Pitts needed to be WOKE and so brave. He probably did the same thing to Marshall and look what happened to Doc in the wake that crap.

I am so sick of cancel culture and all that BS. These pansies need to stop watching social media for their morals and values.
What in the blue Hell are you talking about?

Derrek Pitts caused Marshall’s 2020 collapse. You heard it here first folks.

I don't know of any fan, of any team that truthfully expects a champion ship every year. I don't think any Marshall fan feels that way - if they really know how difficult that would be, if not impossible. But to expect more than 1 in a decade plus, that's certainly a very realistic goal and expectation. If you don't have expectations and goals, juts field a club team and be done with it.

Hoppy has a long relationship with Doc from his Spamite days, and he always gave us a break because of that in the otherwise 100% anti-Marshall metro news operation. It is not surprising that Doc would use him to vent his frustrations.

Doc says what needed to be said. He now fades into MU history. The next few months will show if there are dozens of up and coming coaches just chomping at the bit to come to Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia; or if the entitled and delusional fan base is actually a detriment and we settle for some retread loser like Lambert. The next few years will show if that hire is a home run; or if it is a flop. The next few after that will show if some people have learned their lesson, or not.

Hoppy has a long relationship with Doc from his Spamite days, and he always gave us a break because of that in the otherwise 100% anti-Marshall metro news operation. It is not surprising that Doc would use him to vent his frustrations.

Doc says what needed to be said. He now fades into MU history. The next few months will show if there are dozens of up and coming coaches just chomping at the bit to come to Marshall University in Huntington, West Virginia; or if the entitled and delusional fan base is actually a detriment and we settle for some retread loser like Lambert. The next few years will show if that hire is a home run; or if it is a flop. The next few after that will show if some people have learned their lesson, or not.
I would assume your last line referring to the committee and their reluctance to proactively pursue more experienced candidates, some being FCS coaches and such.

We should be the flagship program in CUSA, however poor leadership and bad coaching hires havent allowed us to blossom. This hire is vital for the future of our football program. If they stick us with that loser Lambert then we know they are not serious about winning. Jmo

What in the blue Hell are you talking about?

I am not really sure how to answer that, but all of what I said was true. It's exactly what happened at WVU and Pitts was definitely a huge part of the crap that happened here. Remember when the cop was killed in Charleston... cheering about that in the locker room MIGHT be an issue. Don't think that happened... ask the resident rivals board assistant coach to confirm it for you :)

Thats the blue hell Im talking about. Hope that helps

Reactions: Herdfan2019
I am not really sure how to answer that, but all of what I said was true. It's exactly what happened at WVU and Pitts was definitely a huge part of the crap that happened here. Remember when the cop was killed in Charleston... cheering about that in the locker room MIGHT be an issue. Don't think that happened... ask the resident rivals board assistant coach to confirm it for you :)

sounds similar to what I heard

Nah.. we are better than those two programs... but I can name ones we aren't... k? K
200.gif

Yup. I'm sure the locker room of 18-23 year old, mostly inner city black dudes are super "we back the blue" and just hated the cheering of a cops death.

I mean when exactly did Marshall become the flagship program of CUSA?
Of the 14 teams that comprise C-USA, all but two either did not exist or were FCS teams at the time Marshall moved up in 1997. There comes a time when you have to ask yourself, "Are we foolish for doing this?"

Assuming we belong at the top of our conference pushes that question away for another day. Embracing that we've spent all this public money the last 25 years to be just another program in what is ostensibly an FCS conference seems to demand it be answered.

Reactions: Herdcyclones
Realistically where could Marshall go? If invited to the AAC they would be competitive with a few schools, but couldn't compete on a regular basis with most. I don't think the MAC wants or needs Marshall back for a second time. Sun Belt is about an equal or lower conference in most years. Most of the schools in our weight class are comfortable where they are and I don't see a big surge to try to rearrange and start a new conference.

I hope the fans can just enjoy the wins when they come and realize that Marshall is a lot bigger deal to it's fans, than it is to the nation as a whole. Being in the New Years six discussion on a regular basis is not realistic. Marshall is a relatively small school with a relatively small budget. It has been that way for years and will probably be that going forward.

I don't post a lot but read the comments on here multiple times per day. There are those who will support the school no matter what, and those that will criticize no matter what. What amazes me most is the only thing between "we are so lucky to have such a great coach" and "Fire the Bum" is just a few losses.

I will now brace myself to be bashed and told how stupid my thoughts were. (That's another thing I've learned from reading every day)

Last edited:
Understanding different expectations is tantamount to understanding why there are so many of us that were ready for Doc to be done. I’ll explain it below.

First there definitely are different expectations for different conferences. If Mark Snyder would have consistently went 8-4 in old CUSA and consistently finished 2nd or 3rd place in the division, then one year actually won the conference, and also and went and won bowl games. He would have coached at Marshall as long as he wanted. That would have probably still been 5 years because he would have received a P5 job.

If Doc would have had the same wins, bowl wins, 3 East championships and 1 overall CUSA championship in the CUSA that we joined in 2005 he would still be the head coach of Marshall and would have been thought of in the same vein as Donnan and Pruett.

The reason why we have higher expectations of Doc during his time at Marshall is due to the fact that we are the flagship football University in CUSA. It’s not even close. Especially since Southern Miss has had their issues. Nobody in this conference has better facilities, better fan support, more name recognition, recent history etc than Marshall.

Let’s look at 2013 going forward because before that during old CUSA Docs records were similar to Snyder’s. Since 2013 Marshall has played in one of the 2 worst conferences in America. The majority of our conference mates every year rank in the bottom 100 of every ranking system out there. During that time Doc has had recruiting classes that rank at the top of CUSA every year. So yes we absolutely think that as long as we are in this conference we should win it often. There is no reason we can’t do to this conference what we did to the MAC back when we joined it. If that’s too high of expectations then we should drop down a division and stop the charade that we are a serious FBS program.

Of the 14 teams that comprise C-USA, all but two either did not exist or were FCS teams at the time Marshall moved up in 1997. There comes a time when you have to ask yourself, "Are we foolish for doing this?"

Assuming we belong at the top of our conference pushes that question away for another day. Embracing that we've spent all this public money the last 25 years to be just another program in what is ostensibly an FCS conference seems to demand it be answered.
I don't think it's been a mistake. I think our leadership has sucked. We went from playing for the championships is the bar to we do with what we can. Once Kayo took over everything went to crap. It's like with Doc. His seat was never warm. According to him he was under no impression he wasn't being brought back.

You have to want to be a great program. Look at this process so far. The names on that list aren't exactly exciting are they? Almost seems like Lambert is the guy and the others are just required interviews to appear above board.

We've proven that we can be the flag bearer of a conference at this level.

The goals have changed. Not the potential. We need more aggressive leadership.

I don't think it's been a mistake. I think our leadership has sucked. We went from playing for the championships is the bar to we do with what we can. Once Kayo took over everything went to crap. It's like with Doc. His seat was never warm. According to him he was under no impression he wasn't being brought back.

You have to want to be a great program. Look at this process so far. The names on that list aren't exactly exciting are they? Almost seems like Lambert is the guy and the others are just required interviews to appear above board.

What kills be is, the people show should be the biggest cheerleaders for this program and want to make it better, seem to be tempering expectations on the search and program as a whole.

I would add though that the environment has changed - since 1997, dozens of schools jumped to FBS, with more joining every year, even now. Plus we have struggled to keep up with the Joneses, financially speaking.

During our big run at the turn of the century, the athletic department's budget was around $12 million a year. Adjusted for inflation, that's about $19 million in today's dollars. Marshall's current athletic budget is over $30 million. Here's where that ranked in a few conferences of note, in 2018:

C-USA: 10th
MAC: 9th
Sun Belt: 9th
AAC: Last Place ($25 million behind USF)
Mountain West: Last Place ($2 million behind San Jose State)

American East: 3rd
Atlantic 10: 3rd
Big Sky: 2nd
Big West: 3rd
Colonial Athletic: 4th

This is why I say we have to focus on aspirational thinking, because embracing reality, looking at those numbers, would say we belong in FCS.

Marshall’s biggest issue with money is lack of planning and knowing your market/customer base. They want to hit home runs in an area with bunches of singles hitters. They can get to the World Series with singles hitters but it requires more work and a strategy. Things they don’t seem to want to do or take the time for.

They throw their hands up and say we sent emails and tweets but no one responded, guess our fans suck. End of story.

More hands on efforts are needed and get to the basic elements of fund raising. Be visible, convey your message to all potential customers and then you may see some results.

In defense of the Athletic Department, I don't know that there is a ton of opportunity out there that is just being ignored. We've doubled our spend on athletics since 2005, which has been the product of modest gains in ticket sales and media rights, and significant gains in student fees and institutional support.

It would take about $10 million more a year to put Marshall in the top third of C-USA, and I just don't know where you get that from. I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just saying we're already being extremely creative to be this competitive with a resource defficiency like we have.

Marshall's athletic department is the Fake Rock Ridge of college sports, and I actually mean that in a complimentary way this time.

In defense of the Athletic Department, I don't know that there is a ton of opportunity out there that is just being ignored. We've doubled our spend on athletics since 2005, which has been the product of modest gains in ticket sales and media rights, and significant gains in student fees and institutional support.

It would take about $10 million more a year to put Marshall in the top third of C-USA, and I just don't know where you get that from. I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just saying we're already being extremely creative to be this competitive with a resource defficiency like we have.

Marshall's athletic department is the Fake Rock Ridge of college sports, and I actually mean that in a complimentary way this time.
Well we can defend them all we want but we have been harping about this for years. Donors are drying up, BG membership is stagnant and has been for years.
We have issues growing for sure but the group in the Schewey and BG office seem to give up easy in efforts to grow the fan base.
Let’s drop down to FCS, no worries here.

Maybe if they made that threat more would step up.

Reactions: herdalicious

you should be a motivational speaker.

The reason why we have higher expectations of Doc during his time at Marshall is due to the fact that we are the flagship football University in CUSA. It’s not even close.

Because......?

This sums up the superfandom turned rotten that is killing this program, and which will keep any coach that is not a loser, like Loser Lambert, or has some kind of issue, far away. An entitled, rotten fan base that thinks that it is some great program that is not only expected to win every game, but that doing so is no big deal, because it lacks respect for the larger (some vastly so) and more well funded schools that are our peers and our competition.

Reactions: Crush Nasty
I wrote an entire explanation for you and other people that think like you that explains why there are different expectations.

In a horrible conference where you have as much advantages and in many cases more advantages, we expect to dominate the conference. If we were playing in a better conference of course the expectations would not be as high.

I said this in another thread which I’m sure you ignored. Mark Snyder was fired because he couldn’t win period. He was sub 500, 4 of his 5 years here and 500 his last year. But there was not remotely the expectations of him to perform like the MAC Marshall teams did. If Mark could have gotten to 8-4 consistently, playing in bowl games, everybody would have been happy.

Which brings us to Doc. If Doc had the same record, same # conference East titles, same 1 overall championship in 11 years but it was in the old CUSA he would still be here and would be looked at in the same way as Donnan and Pruett.

Expecting our football program to dominate this terrible conference and to not get blown out at home by Akron is not unrealistic expectations, no matter how many times you babble about super fans.

There is a reason the state of WV ranks last in pretty much anything of value other than tobacco use, heart disease and cancer, it’s because the state is riddled including with its leaders the same backward thinking that you display on here every time you post.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
I wrote an entire explanation for you and other people that think like you that explains why there are different expectations.

In a horrible conference where you have as much advantages and in many cases more advantages, we expect to dominate the conference. If we were playing in a better conference of course the expectations would not be as high.

I said this in another thread which I’m sure you ignored. Mark Snyder was fired because he couldn’t win period. He was sub 500, 4 of his 5 years here and 500 his last year. But there was not remotely the expectations of him to perform like the MAC Marshall teams did. If Mark could have gotten to 8-4 consistently, playing in bowl games, everybody would have been happy.

Which brings us to Doc. If Doc had the same record, same # conference East titles, same 1 overall championship in 11 years but it was in the old CUSA he would still be here and would be looked at in the same way as Donnan and Pruett.

Expecting our football program to dominate this terrible conference and to not get blown out at home by Akron is not unrealistic expectations, no matter how many times you babble about super fans.

There is a reason the state of WV ranks last in pretty much anything of value other than tobacco use, heart disease and cancer, it’s because the state is riddled including with its leaders the same backward thinking that you display on here every time you post.

Dude, Sam is the Greed of the main board. He is a broken record that never stops, no matter how badly he's losing the argument.

We’re poor, we’re no good, good coaches don’t want to come here, we need to drop to FCS. That’s damn depressing that some think this way of our program.

I would add though that the environment has changed - since 1997, dozens of schools jumped to FBS, with more joining every year, even now. Plus we have struggled to keep up with the Joneses, financially speaking.

During our big run at the turn of the century, the athletic department's budget was around $12 million a year. Adjusted for inflation, that's about $19 million in today's dollars. Marshall's current athletic budget is over $30 million. Here's where that ranked in a few conferences of note, in 2018:

C-USA: 10th
MAC: 9th
Sun Belt: 9th
AAC: Last Place ($25 million behind USF)
Mountain West: Last Place ($2 million behind San Jose State)

American East: 3rd
Atlantic 10: 3rd
Big Sky: 2nd
Big West: 3rd
Colonial Athletic: 4th

This is why I say we have to focus on aspirational thinking, because embracing reality, looking at those numbers, would say we belong in FCS.
Well you're in luck because we're basically in an FCS conference. Right now I could care less about national attention and access bowls. There's not reason we can't win more than 1 championship in 11 years in this conference. What is going on with other conferences has no bearing on us not choking to Charlotte and Rice.

We’re poor, we’re no good, good coaches don’t want to come here, we need to drop to FCS. That’s damn depressing that some think this way of our program.
Some of our fans make me not want to be a fan anymore. They apologize for everything bad and attack anyone that dares have any shred of drive in them. Bunch of Eeyors.

eeyore-1.gif

Save your breath man. They're just a bunch of losers that want to hire and keep losers.

well by all means, you winners should drop some six figure donations...not only will that help with the budget to hire someone but they'll likely listen to your input.

we need money. we have more than enough empty rhetoric.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT