ADVERTISEMENT

Doc is nearly making what Army coach Jeff Monken makes.

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
Who do you think has a better deal?

I believe Monken makes about $100-150k more a year.

He has lead Army to back to back 10 win seasons. I believe their 3 and 4th time respectively. He has beat Navy 3 times in a row(after Navy beat them 14 times straight). He has a top 25 ranking this year and nearly beat playoff team Oklahoma who has better athletic talent.

Monken also had a superior resume going into the job at Army after going 38-16 as the head coach at Ga Southern and he was 22-8 in conference play.

I think we could do better than our recent performance.

I'll give Monken credit, it's not always easy to win at a service academy...given the physical restrictions of players.
But you do realize 2 of those 10 wins are against Lafayette and Colgate and they didn't play Notre Dame or BYU despite both being independent.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I'll give Monken credit, it's not always easy to win at a service academy...given the physical restrictions of players.
But you do realize 2 of those 10 wins are against Lafayette and Colgate and they didn't play Notre Dame or BYU despite both being independent.

Army beat Buffalo by 30. Buffalo blew the MAC Championship after being up by 20. Army went to overtime with Oklahoma. They are a very solid team this year.

Oh, and Colgate? They would have easily been in the top half of C-USA. They went seven straight games without allowing a TD. They gave up 6 points or fewer in the majority of their games. They beat James Madison last week.

Their only 2 losses are to Duke and Oklahoma(in overtime, yest that Oklahoma). Colgate is a top FCS team that is about as solid as half the league we play in. Buffalo was in the Mac Championship game and won 10 games.

They are solid and have you seen our schedule? Their schedule is 102 and ours is 113 in the Sagarin.

Do you think we could take Oklahoma to overtime? I believe Notre Dame has a long tradition of playing Navy so there may not be room for them to play Army(another service academy).

The point is what he has done with their program and what he did at GA Southern for about the same money as what we are paying. He is a good coach that gets the most out of his personnel.

Last edited:
Monken would be disliked in Huntington by the third game due to his offensive style.

Reactions: pdbailey
I have to admit a 60 % winning percentage and one conference championship every decade or so is pretty good. There have only been a few embarrassing home losses. Finishing 2nd or 3rd in the division is pretty good and better than finishing last. Went to a bowl game!

Army beat Buffalo by 30. Buffalo blew the MAC Championship after being up by 20. Army went to overtime with Oklahoma. They are a very solid team this year.

Oh, and Colgate? They would have easily been in the top half of C-USA. They went seven straight games without allowing a TD. They gave up 6 points or fewer in the majority of their games. They beat James Madison last week.

Yeah, right, YAGS. FCS Colgate "would have easily been in the top half of C-USA", based on, uh, what? Their great defense? Their sterling record season record (9-1)? Fact, aside from FBS Army, the Raiders only regular season loss, they beat 9 FCS teams, ALL OF WHOM HAD LOSING RECORDS!!* Colgate had a regular season game with Furman cancelled. Good thing, too, since Furman did have a winning record, 6-4. Had that game been played, Colgate probably would have been 9-2 instead of 9-1.

As for Buffalo, well they were totally bitched slapped late in the season at Ohio U., a week after the Bobcats were thumped by Miami, Ohio. And the team that grabbed that "slipping away" MAC championship from Buffalo, Northern Illinois? Oh, the Huskies also got smacked down, AT HOME, late in the season, also by Miami; the same Miami the Herd beat early on in 2018; A win that many say was not that worthy of much merit for MU
in the big picture in 2018.

Army. Yes a solid program and good team in 2018. But please don't embellish their accomplishments with moronic statements about Colgate, a FCS program , which this year would have been a CUSA cellar dweller along with UTEP and Rice. Probably a lower tier team every season, given the scholarship disparity between FCS and FBS schools. A win over Buffalo is nice, but, as noted above, not anything to brag about.

*Aside from Army, here were the records of Colgate's 9 other regular season opponents in 2018: Holy Cross, 5-6; New Hampshire, 4-7; Lafayette, 3-8; Wm. & Mary, 4-6; Fordham, 2-9; Bucknell, 1-10; Cornell, 3-7; Georgetown, 5-6; and Lehigh, 3-8.

Yeah, right, YAGS. FCS Colgate "would have easily been in the top half of C-USA", based on, uh, what? Their great defense? Their sterling record season record (9-1)? Fact, aside from FBS Army, the Raiders only regular season loss, they beat 9 FCS teams, ALL OF WHOM HAD LOSING RECORDS!!* Colgate had a regular season game with Furman cancelled. Good thing, too, since Furman did have a winning record, 6-4. Had that game been played, Colgate probably would have been 9-2 instead of 9-1.

As for Buffalo, well they were totally bitched slapped late in the season at Ohio U., a week after the Bobcats were thumped by Miami, Ohio. And the team that grabbed that "slipping away" MAC championship from Buffalo, Northern Illinois? Oh, the Huskies also got smacked down, AT HOME, late in the season, also by Miami; the same Miami the Herd beat early on in 2018; A win that many say was not that worthy of much merit for MU

Army. Yes a solid program and good team in 2018. But please don't embellish their accomplishments with moronic statements about Colgate, a FCS program , which this year would have been a CUSA cellar dweller along with UTEP and Rice. Probably a lower tier team every season, given the scholarship disparity between FCS and FBS schools. A win over Buffalo is nice, but, as noted above, not anything to brag about.

*Aside from Army, here were the records of Colgate's 9 other regular season opponents in 2018: Holy Cross, 5-6; New Hampshire, 4-7; Lafayette, 3-8; Wm. & Mary, 4-6; Fordham, 2-9; Bucknell, 1-10; Cornell, 3-7; Georgetown, 5-6; and Lehigh, 3-8.

I don't think you realize how bad CUSA is/can be.

Reactions: Elkview
Sometimes even good teams have WTF games (SEE: 2014 Thundering Herd). To disparage Buffalo’s season based on a loss to Ohio is a bit myopic.

And the top of the FCS is better than the bottom quarter/third of FBS. Marshall is not the only team to move up and dominate their conference (See Appalachian State and GA Southern). Say what you want about Colgate, but they beat a pretty good JMU team. The jury is still out as to whether they can beat NDSU, but they are a very good football team.

Let me try to dumb this down for you . . .
Your argument is that Buffalo wasn't that good because they lost to Ohio, who wasn't that good because they lost to Miami, who beat NIU, who wasn't that good because they beat Buffalo . . . and Miami lost to Marshall . . . so you've somehow used this to argue that Colgate wouldn't have been in the top half of C-USA this year?

You do realize that Buffalo, Ohio, Miami, Marshall, and NIU are all schools who were in the top third of their conferences, right? So what exactly is your point about how that has any impact on if Colgate would be in the top half of C-USA?

Marshall was a top third team in C-USA. The fact that they beat Miami, who beat some top MAC teams, does absolutely nothing to refute my comment that Colgate would have finished in the top half of C-USA this year.

Have you been checked for dementia lately?

But please don't embellish their accomplishments with moronic statements about Colgate, a FCS program , which this year would have been a CUSA cellar dweller along with UTEP and Rice.

So you've just admitted that UTEP and Rice were cellar dwellars that would have been on Colgate's level. That means Colgate is on par with at least 2 of the 14 C-USA teams. You have to put Western Kentucky in that group. WKU lost to Maine who was seeded 7th in the FCS playoffs. Colgate was seeded 8th, which shows them being on the same level. That's three teams. If you put those teams in, you can't forget about UTSA. That means Colgate is on par with at least four of the C-USA teams.

Colgate had a regular season game with Furman cancelled. Good thing, too, since Furman did have a winning record, 6-4. Had that game been played, Colgate probably would have been 9-2 instead of 9-1.

That's pretty stupid, which is par for the course for you.

You claim that Colgate would have lost to Furman, a team they are ranked way ahead of. Your argument to support that Colgate would have lost to Furman is because Furman had a 6-4 record. You do realize that Colgate was ranked #7 in the latest FCS poll, right? You do realize that Furman wasn't ranked, right? You do realize that Colgate just beat a team that was 9-3, JMU, in the second round of the playoffs, right? You do realize that JMU had a much better record than Furman and played a very harder schedule. Yet with all of that, Colgate would have lost to Furman?

When you say absolutely foolish bullshit it ruins your entire argument. Why throw random shit in there that you know you can't even remotely begin to defend with logic, facts, or reasonable opinion?

Fvck dementia, have you been tested for Alzheimer's?

But let's see what Sagarin has Colgate rated compared with the other C-USA teams:

1) UAB
2) North Texas
3) MTSU
4) Marshall
5) FAU
6) FIU
7) COLGATE
8) Southern Miss
9) LA Tech
10) WKU
11) Charlotte
12) ODU
13) UTSA
14) Rice
15) UTEP

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

As I said, Colgate would have finished in the top half of C-USA this year. Thanks, Sagarin, for being the most used resource for evaluating teams that don't play each other head-to-head or in the same schedule for proving my point.

The jury is still out as to whether they can beat NDSU, but they are a very good football team.

The carrier pigeons must have gotten lost to your place. Colgate played NDSU a few days ago.

Reactions: THUNDERGround
Your argument is that Buffalo wasn't that good because they lost to Ohio, who wasn't that good because they lost to Miami, who beat NIU, who wasn't that good because they beat Buffalo . . . and Miami lost to Marshall . . . so you've somehow used this to argue that Colgate wouldn't have been in the top half of C-USA this year?

You do realize that Buffalo, Ohio, Miami, Marshall, and NIU are all schools who were in the top third of their conferences, right? So what exactly is your point about how that has any impact on if Colgate would be in the top half of C-USA?

Marshall was a top third team in C-USA. The fact that they beat Miami, who beat some top MAC teams, does absolutely nothing to refute my comment that Colgate would have finished in the top half of C-USA this year.

So you've just admitted that UTEP and Rice were cellar dwellars that would have been on Colgate's level. That means Colgate is on par with at least 2 of the 14 C-USA teams. You have to put Western Kentucky in that group. WKU lost to Maine who was seeded 7th in the FCS playoffs. Colgate was seeded 8th, which shows them being on the same level. That's three teams. If you put those teams in, you can't forget about UTSA. That means Colgate is on par with at least four of the C-USA teams.

You claim that Colgate would have lost to Furman, a team they are ranked way ahead of. Your argument to support that Colgate would have lost to Furman is because Furman had a 6-4 record. You do realize that Colgate was ranked #7 in the latest FCS poll, right? You do realize that Furman wasn't ranked, right? You do realize that Colgate just beat a team that was 9-3, JMU, in the second round of the playoffs, right? You do realize that JMU had a much better record than Furman and played a very harder schedule. Yet with all of that, Colgate would have lost to Furman?

When you say absolutely foolish bullshit it ruins your entire argument. Why throw random shit in there that you know you can't even remotely begin to defend with logic, facts, or reasonable opinion?

But let's see what Sagarin has Colgate rated compared with the other C-USA teams:

1) UAB
2) North Texas
3) MTSU
4) Marshall
5) FAU
6) FIU
7) COLGATE
8) Southern Miss
9) LA Tech
10) WKU
11) Charlotte
12) ODU
13) UTSA
14) Rice
15) UTEP

As I said, Colgate would have finished in the top half of C-USA this year. Thanks, Sagarin, for being the most used resource for evaluating teams that don't play each other head-to-head or in the same schedule for proving my point.

The carrier pigeons must have gotten lost to your place. Colgate played NDSU a few days ago.
And lost, I believe.

1) UAB
2) North Texas
3) MTSU
4) Marshall
5) FAU
6) FIU
7) COLGATE
8) Southern Miss
9) LA Tech
10) WKU
11) Charlotte
12) ODU
13) UTSA
14) Rice
15) UTEP

Well, I suppose the jury came back with a verdict then. Oops

Does anyone thing a CUSA team could win the FCS championship? I don't and I think we could remove North Dakota State from it and they still wouldn't win it.

I don't think Marshall could beat the top 8 teams on a neutral field.

Does anyone thing a CUSA team could win the FCS championship? I don't and I think we could remove North Dakota State from it and they still wouldn't win it.

I don't think Marshall could beat the top 8 teams on a neutral field.

Maybe a better chance now.

Kansas State just hired NDSU's HC for the same position.

Well, I suppose the jury came back with a verdict then. Oops

And again, losing to a team that would win C-USA does nothing to disprove my claim that Colgate would finish in the top half of the conference this year.

Don't believe me? Just ask Sagarin.

Maybe a better chance now.

Kansas State just hired NDSU's HC for the same position.

Not much of a chance. NDSU lost their last HC to Wyoming after he won a few national championship. They just keep the same system.

And as good as NDSU has been, South Dakota State isn't far behind. Those guys have built a powerhouse over the last seven years. They've split the last 4 games with NDSU and play them to go to the national championship this weekend. They've made the playoffs seven years in a row.

And as good as NDSU has been, South Dakota State isn't far behind. Those guys have built a powerhouse over the last seven years. They've split the last 4 games with NDSU and play them to go to the national championship this weekend. They've made the playoffs seven years in a row.
SDSU does an amazing job of getting kids from under recruited states like Nebraska. Some of their best players have been kids coaches like Bo Pelini and Mike Riley didn't think were good enough to play D1 ball. It will be interesting to see how many recruits SDSU gets from Nebraska now that Frost is there and has been expanding the PWO program. Frost recently convinced a pretty damn good prospect in Luke Reimer to give up his scholarship at SDSU and walk on at Nebraska.

So, once again, the moronic POS YAG numb nuts demonstrates a lack of reading comprehension. I pointed out the absurdity of your statement as to where Colgate would finish in CUSA by indicating that in their regular season schedule they piled up wins against a bunch of LOSING FCS teams, losing to the only good team they played in the regular season. Don't know about Sagarin, but, yeah, Y.A.G., you have well demonstrated your STUPIDITY so that there is no doubt you really believe that FCS Colgate could line up in 8 games versus CUSA FBS teams and end up, record wise, in the top half of CUSA!! Based on what: their "sterling" regular season record against mediocre opponents this season or on some statistical rating concocted by Sagarin? What an idiotic, arrogant fool you continue to be, and consistently demonstrate!

Try removing you entire head out of Sagarin's rear end, YAG. In your demented world, a computer ranking apparently is all that matters. "Colgate is ranked, Furman is not." Hell, I guess Furman need not show up for a game with Colgate. Games are played on the field, NOT in computer simulations.

That's why there are events called "upsets", every week at every level of football.

So, once again, the moronic POS YAG numb nuts demonstrates a lack of reading comprehension. I pointed out the absurdity of your statement as to where Colgate would finish in CUSA by indicating that in their regular season schedule they piled up wins against a bunch of LOSING FCS teams, losing to the only good team they played in the regular season.

How is that in any way a reflection on my reading comprehension? I argued against your other horrendous arguments. Why do you continue to throw shit out there hoping that anything sticks to the wall?

Yes, Colgate didn't have a strong SOS. Want do know who else didn't have a strong SOS? Every single C-USA team. Want to know who thoroughly dominated their weak SOS? Colgate. Hell, they went 8 straight games giving up 6 points or fewer. Yes, they played a weak schedule. They also had a shutout in half of their regular season games. Compare their results with their weak schedule to the results of the weak schedules each C-USA team played.

You don't have to do that, there are systems that do the hard for you. Thanks, Mr. Sagarin.

you really believe that FCS Colgate could line up in 8 games versus CUSA FBS teams and end up, record wise, in the top half of CUSA!!

Do you realize how bad many teams were in C-USA this year? UTEP, Rice, UTSA, and WKU were really bad football teams. Bad enough that a solid FCS team would be competitive with them, a good FCS would beat them, and a great (top 10 Colgate) would easily beat them.

How do you think JMU would have done in C-USA this season?

Try removing you entire head out of Sagarin's rear end, YAG. In your demented world, a computer ranking apparently is all that matters. "Colgate is ranked, Furman is not." Hell, I guess Furman need not show up for a game with Colgate. Games are played on the field, NOT in computer simulations.

That's why there are events called "upsets", every week at every level of football.

Let me get this straight:

You admit that if Furman were to beat Colgate, it would be an "upset." Why do you claim it would be an upset? Because Colgate is the better team. Yet you're the one who is making the claim that Furman would beat Colgate simply because Furman is 6-4, even though Colgate has a much better record and is ranked much higher by those who pay attention to FCS football every week.

How am I the fool when you're the one arguing that Furman would beat Colgate simply because Furman has a WORSE record?

Do you realize how dumb you continue to make yourself look?

Here is what agrees with me:

Colgate's top 10 FCS ranking > unranked Furman team
Colgate's record > Furman's record
Sagarin's rating for Colgate > the bottom half of Sagarin rating of C-USA teams

Here is what you have provided for your argument:

SDSU does an amazing job of getting kids from under recruited states like Nebraska. Some of their best players have been kids coaches like Bo Pelini and Mike Riley didn't think were good enough to play D1 ball. It will be interesting to see how many recruits SDSU gets from Nebraska now that Frost is there and has been expanding the PWO program. Frost recently convinced a pretty damn good prospect in Luke Reimer to give up his scholarship at SDSU and walk on at Nebraska.

I almost took their running backs job there this season. Their WR coach is the one who has done a good job recruiting his home state of Nebraska.

SDSU has nice facilities, is well coached, and does a good job finding their type of guys. They lose their stud QB, who does more for them than the average QB, so it will be interesting to see how they reload on offense.

Should be a hell of a game tonight between them and NDSU. They've split the last four game with NDSU beating them earlier this season by 4 with a last quarter TD.

Their head coach is highly respected up there and just received another long extension. Earlier this year, he was arrested for DUI. He went out to get food around midnight and got his car stuck in a ditch. I was told by one of their coaches that he had been at home drinking Joose (which I never heard of, but apparently is this awful, candy-flavored beer that is popular with young people and not 61 year old men). The staff said it was more embarrassing that the police documented that their head coach had been drinking Joose more than him getting arrested for DUI.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
I almost took their running backs job there this season. Their WR coach is the one who has done a good job recruiting his home state of Nebraska.

SDSU has nice facilities, is well coached, and does a good job finding their type of guys. They lose their stud QB, who does more for them than the average QB, so it will be interesting to see how they reload on offense.

Should be a hell of a game tonight between them and NDSU. They've split the last four game with NDSU beating them earlier this season by 4 with a last quarter TD.

Their head coach is highly respected up there and just received another long extension. Earlier this year, he was arrested for DUI. He went out to get food around midnight and got his car stuck in a ditch. I was told by one of their coaches that he had been at home drinking Joose (which I never heard of, but apparently is this awful, candy-flavored beer that is popular with young people and not 61 year old men). The staff said it was more embarrassing that the police documented that their head coach had been drinking Joose more than him getting arrested for DUI.
Maybe you could hire on at Marshall and get us back to the top of the conference.

Quit being an ass rifle. Wanna add to the board leave your Mr asshole personality locked up. So many times people ignore you even when your giving them perfectly laid out information. Its a shame some good solid information is ignored because of your ignorant putdowns.

Maybe you could hire on at Marshall and get us back to the top of the conference.

Coach Stowers said that I am liked around Marshall less than you like me.

Quit being an ass rifle. Wanna add to the board leave your Mr asshole personality locked up. So many times people ignore you even when your giving them perfectly laid out information. Its a shame some good solid information is ignored because of your ignorant putdowns.

Shut up, hillbilly. I don't make personal jabs until those morons start it first.

Yags is telling the truth. Some of the Shewey supporters don't want to admit how bad CUSA is and don't want to admit how mediocre we are.

The football program is not playing up to its potential.

Middle Tennessee is getting absolutely killed by Appy State. This a good measuring stick for just how bad Marshall and therefore Doc is?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT