ADVERTISEMENT

Doc Said

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
The poor performance against Cincinnati was due to “lack of execution” and not a lack of effort! This in today’s Herald-Dispatch. I don’t know about the rest of you on Herd Nation that we’re at the game but I respectfully disagree with our coach. The team, in my opinion, not only did not execute but they gave no effort as the defense wore out and the team appeared to be totally unprepared and the play calling was totally mystifying.

I have been waiting to air a few grievances with our program... And here seems like as good a place as any.

First, Doc is wrong in the above comment. At the beginning of the game we were being beaten soundly by a better prepared, more talented team. By the second half, we were toast and everyone in the stadium knew it. Cincy pulled the starters like they were playing Furman and still waxed us with their damn backups. Our kids knew it was over and called it an early night. If you have played sports at any serious level, you know that shit happens when you are getting your brains beaten in. We don't have to like it as fans, but it's human nature when you are down 30+ points in the second half of a football game.

Second, and possibly more disturbing, is that we appear to have no idea who our best players are or how to use them... We had guys in the game that I had to go find a program to figure out who the heck they were. By week five of the season, you should know who is going to be in the rotation (barring injuries). Our play calling on offense was flat out embarrassing and it looked like we weren't even putting guys in position where they could be successful. Knox up the middle on 3rd and 7 isn't going to work very often, and we do that crap a lot.

Lastly, our unwillingness to adapt is hard to rationalize. Green was awful, the game was over in the second quarter, and our offense wasn't doing anything at all. So what's the answer? Run the same bullshit read-option (with a QB who doesnt want to run) for 2 yards, over and over again. Why not put in Thompson? He couldn't do any worse and Green's confidence already appears to be completely shot. Why not use some creative sets for Gaines and Levias? Our receiver group is not good. Obialo may or may not ever be back, Johnson has good hands/speed but he's little, Gammage has potential but he's not ready to be a starter, Richardson is fine but not great, Henry is tiny/can't get open. We have a stud athlete like Gains who has been great this year and he touched the ball all of what 3 times? Levias is our most reliable pass catcher at tight end, but he gets about two balls a night.

This season is already maddening.

“There’s nobody that went out and didn’t play hard,” Marshall coach Doc Holliday said. “That didn’t happen. We just didn’t play very smart at times and we’ve got to get better.” This just shows how out of touch this coach is with his team, does he truly believe what he saying??? I personally didn’t think we stood a chance with Cincinnati this year, but to get embarrassed the way we did and watch Doc leave Green in the entire game to pad stats was embarrassing!

To clarify...are we saying the the players came out of the locker room and played with no effort from the opening kickoff? Or are we saying that, once the game got out of hand (which was admittedly pretty early) the players lost their desire and passion for this game? I think Doc is saying the first thing didn't happen, that it was not a lack of effort that led to the total ambush in the first quarter. I think that's a fair statement.

Reactions: ohio herd
To clarify...are we saying the the players came out of the locker room and played with no effort from the opening kickoff? Or are we saying that, once the game got out of hand (which was admittedly pretty early) the players lost their desire and passion for this game? I think Doc is saying the first thing didn't happen, that it was not a lack of effort that led to the total ambush in the first quarter. I think that's a fair statement.
Judge DD - not from the opening kickoff, but after that 1st series when Cincy made it seem sooooo easy I am sure they were concerned. After we went down 14-0 and could not move the ball on offense, and it was obvious to everybody in the Joan that their QB was just toying with us? Yeah, they gave up. No doubt in my mind they cashed in their chips and retired...….

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Judge DD - not from the opening kickoff, but after that 1st series when Cincy made it seem sooooo easy I am sure they were concerned. After we went down 14-0 and could not move the ball on offense, and it was obvious to everybody in the Joan that their QB was just toying with us? Yeah, they gave up. No doubt in my mind they cashed in their chips and retired...….

I might even give our guys the benefit of the doubt until the third score made it 21-0... At that point, we had done less than nothing on either side of the ball and we were making Cincinnati look like the 85 Bears. It was over, I knew it, everyone else in the stands knew it, Doc knew it, and most importantly so did the players.

A lot of people joke about Docs press conferences, but I actually read a little more into it.

I’m not going to try and analyze what he was TRULY saying, because I don’t think he was genuinely saying anything at all. He was just coming out, going through the motions, saying the coach speak things that he thinks is right but not genuinely saying what he truly feels about anything. He’s been here 10 years and I still don’t think I have any idea what he is TRULY about, what is his actual identity.

And he coaches games the same way. No identity, no passion, no fire (yelling at referees doesn’t count even though I don’t think he even gets Much mileage out of that. They would have had to hold me back after that fumble sack Touchdown), he’s just there.

I want to see him one time make me feel like he REALLY gives a shit and that this crap is as unacceptable to him as anybody and make me BELIEVE that he knows what’s wrong and will stop at nothing till he finds the answer.

How many coaches worth a damn could come out in a press conference after, quite frankly, the most humiliating loss I’ve seen here in 20 years, and be just as flat and generic as “we have to get better.” “We got to get back to work” “that’s a good football team”? Somebody with real passion will be as emotional as hell. Might even say something they regret. Hell, look at Mike Leach. I’m not saying Doc should mirror Mike Leach, but at least it’s apparent that Leach gives a shit.

And if you go back and look at a lot of the things I’ve said about holiday , which I’ve probably not articulated too well because I’m in a hurry and still so pissed off 48 hours later, I think you’ll see that his teams’ performance mirrors his. It’s not a myth that a team takes on the personality of its head coach, and he seems to just show up, be there, and go through the motions without any GENUINE accountability or identity.

A lot of people joke about Docs press conferences, but I actually read a little more into it.

I’m not going to try and analyze what he was TRULY saying, because I don’t think he was genuinely saying anything at all. He was just coming out, going through the motions, saying the coach speak things that he thinks is right but not genuinely saying what he truly feels about anything. He’s been here 10 years and I still don’t think I have any idea what he is TRULY about, what is his actual identity.

And he coaches games the same way. No identity, no passion, no fire (yelling at referees doesn’t count even though I don’t think he even gets Much mileage out of that. They would have had to hold me back after that fumble sack Touchdown), he’s just there.

I want to see him one time make me feel like he REALLY gives a shit and that this crap is as unacceptable to him as anybody and make me BELIEVE that he knows what’s wrong and will stop at nothing till he finds the answer.

How many coaches worth a damn could come out in a press conference after, quite frankly, the most humiliating loss I’ve seen here in 20 years, and be just as flat and generic as “we have to get better.” “We got to get back to work” “that’s a good football team”? Somebody with real passion will be as emotional as hell. Might even say something they regret. Hell, look at Mike Leach. I’m not saying Doc should mirror Mike Leach, but at least it’s apparent that Leach gives a shit.

And if you go back and look at a lot of the things I’ve said about holiday , which I’ve probably not articulated too well because I’m in a hurry and still so pissed off 48 hours later, I think you’ll see that his teams’ performance mirrors his. It’s not a myth that a team takes on the personality of its head coach, and he seems to just show up, be there, and go through the motions without any GENUINE accountability or identity.

Excellent post. I’ve said many times DH is about as interesting as a 5lb bag of fertilizer. I really have no interest in following anything he says because he says nothing.

As I said before, there were no in-game adjustments, no second half adjustments and surely no sense on urgency on MU's' part. Doc's offence is as plain as milk toast and very predictable. 2 yards and a cloud of pellets. By the way, was there ever an over/under on how many times Doc says "Tremendous" this season?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
either way its a coaching issue. Im sorry but UC should not come into Huntington and wax MU in this manner. What I do see is kids folding their tents when adversity hits, and that is a character issue. Im starting to see a pattern to Doc's program and that is he and his staff are very average at the X's and O's part of the game, and lack of character from his players (or leadership on the team) shows up in undisciplined play and not being able to handle adversity. MU got smacked in the face and knocked down and they just did not get up from the ground. Now was that because the X's and O's from the start had them in a disadvantage. Maybe, but getting beat that bad at home is not a good look. Normally I don't take up for bitching fans about showing up or leaving early but if you trying to build a program and fan base you cant lay an egg. Losing is one thing but laying an egg is another. I have always taken up for Doc but its getting close to thinking about change.

Very good point about not having an identity. The one thing we know is Doc prides himself in recruiting and when you recruit so many kids with social and academic issues that becomes your identity.

103826474_display_image.jpg

When does your "lack of execution" in bigger games come into consideration coach???

IDK - it seemed like there was a lot of confusion in the secondary - to me, that's not a player passion item, that's a coach preparation item. Whether the kids didn't understand what package the coaches were putting in or the reads - I never put that on the kids - that's a coach putting kids in a position where they cannot win.

Offensively, it looked like the QB was just missing some throws - that's a tough situation to be in - I don't honestly believe a lack of effort led to the lopsided score.

I feel about 100x better about the TEAM (players) after this bad loss than I did at this juncture last year after the NC State loss. (and after the NC Stat loss, I was proven wrong about what seemed to be player effort from my view).

I fully expect to see a big rebound in Murfreesboro this week.

IDK - it seemed like there was a lot of confusion in the secondary - to me, that's not a player passion item, that's a coach preparation item. Whether the kids didn't understand what package the coaches were putting in or the reads - I never put that on the kids - that's a coach putting kids in a position where they cannot win.

Offensively, it looked like the QB was just missing some throws - that's a tough situation to be in - I don't honestly believe a lack of effort led to the lopsided score.

I feel about 100x better about the TEAM (players) after this bad loss than I did at this juncture last year after the NC State loss. (and after the NC Stat loss, I was proven wrong about what seemed to be player effort from my view).

I fully expect to see a big rebound in Murfreesboro this week.
The difference is UC is a non-P5 school.

As I said before, there were no in-game adjustments, no second half adjustments and surely no sense on urgency on MU's' part.

There never are. It's as if we're so vanilla that if it doesn't work we have nothing else we can go to. The running plays never change. It doesn't matter if the holes are big enough to drive a truck through or the RBs are running into a wall like against UC. The plays won't change. We'll just continue to do it over and over again hoping they'll work. We hardly if ever bring in lead blockers or load one side of the line. If we do see a different personnel package it's for some gimmick play.

Outside of ECU in 2013 and maybe a couple other games, I have never felt like Doc and the staff are seeing what the opposition is doing and then countering. If what we do doesn't work we'll just abandon it all together like we did with the run game at Boise.

Doc also likes to scrap things that work once we've used them. Like all that action that Gaines saw against Ohio. We didn't do any of that on against UC. Doc will take something away before the opposition does. Once it's on film you'll never see it again.

There never are. It's as if we're so vanilla that if it doesn't work we have nothing else we can go to. The running plays never change. It doesn't matter if the holes are big enough to drive a truck through or the RBs are running into a wall like against UC. The plays won't change. We'll just continue to do it over and over again hoping they'll work. We hardly if ever bring in lead blockers or load one side of the line. If we do see a different personnel package it's for some gimmick play.

Outside of ECU in 2013 and maybe a couple other games, I have never felt like Doc and the staff are seeing what the opposition is doing and then countering. If what we do doesn't work we'll just abandon it all together like we did with the run game at Boise.

Doc also likes to scrap things that work once we've used them. Like all that action that Gaines saw against Ohio. We didn't do any of that on against UC. Doc will take something away before the opposition does. Once it's on film you'll never see it again.
Doc is an average coach. If he wins a conference championship then we can up grade that opinion but right now his won-loss record speaks for itself.

Reactions: Elkview
either way its a coaching issue. Im sorry but UC should not come into Huntington and wax MU in this manner. What I do see is kids folding their tents when adversity hits, and that is a character issue. Im starting to see a pattern to Doc's program and that is he and his staff are very average at the X's and O's part of the game, and lack of character from his players (or leadership on the team) shows up in undisciplined play and not being able to handle adversity. MU got smacked in the face and knocked down and they just did not get up from the ground. Now was that because the X's and O's from the start had them in a disadvantage. Maybe, but getting beat that bad at home is not a good look. Normally I don't take up for bitching fans about showing up or leaving early but if you trying to build a program and fan base you cant lay an egg. Losing is one thing but laying an egg is another. I have always taken up for Doc but its getting close to thinking about change.
Interesting, because I know of a certain player Doc evaluated and he waited until other schools offered to see what he would do. He did not do his own judgement on the kid. I know first hand how Doc recruits, and its his way or the highway, and I would agree character does not play a huge role. A 4.0 student that would be a huge asset as a team leader does not weight into Doc's decision.

Reactions: Dre621 and Elkview
MTSU also sucks so I have no doubt we will play well. Nobody has any issue with Doc when playing the bottom 100s of college football. He’s legendary at beating them. I have no doubt we will beat them by 30, and then everybody will say oh everything’s great!!

We play 5 teams with a pulse this year. We are 1-2 at this juncture against 3 of them. FAU and La Tech are then other 2, but even with those 2 I wouldn’t come close to putting them in the category of Boise and Cincinnati more like Ohio. So against top tier G5 competition we are 0-2. Against teams with a pulse we are 1-0, with 2 more teams with a pulse left.

Stomping MTSU, Charlotte, WKU etc does nothing to erase the stomping that was this past Saturday, nor does it take away the number of losses (including beatdowns) that we have had at home in the last 10 years. But I honestly don’t think it matters because we can get mad not understand etc but the only person that matters is our AD and he seems to feel he does a great job, so I don’t think anything is going to change.

Reactions: munotwvu342
This program is judged how we do in a bowl game. That's all Doc and Hammy care about. We could go 6-6 and win the Bahamas Bowl and they would be like -
TA DA! We did something - now donate money damn it!

It's a coaching and player development issue as far as I am concerned. We have enough talent to win this league but not sure we have the brains on the field or sidelines to do it.

MT is gut check time. We'll see what this program is made of.

Reactions: Herdmeister
MTSU also sucks so I have no doubt we will play well. Nobody has any issue with Doc when playing the bottom 100s of college football. He’s legendary at beating them. I have no doubt we will beat them by 30, and then everybody will say oh everything’s great!!

We play 5 teams with a pulse this year. We are 1-2 at this juncture against 3 of them. FAU and La Tech are then other 2, but even with those 2 I wouldn’t come close to putting them in the category of Boise and Cincinnati more like Ohio. So against top tier G5 competition we are 0-2. Against teams with a pulse we are 1-0, with 2 more teams with a pulse left.

Stomping MTSU, Charlotte, WKU etc does nothing to erase the stomping that was this past Saturday, nor does it take away the number of losses (including beatdowns) that we have had at home in the last 10 years. But I honestly don’t think it matters because we can get mad not understand etc but the only person that matters is our AD and he seems to feel he does a great job, so I don’t think anything is going to change.

The ONLY thing that will calm the fanbase is to win the conference. PERIOD. If Doc had 3-5 titles like Pruett I don't think a lot of this is an issue. Not being able to win in such a garbage conference really is inexcusable.

Much later that night, getting on the elevator at the hotel. A Bearcat couple gets on with us. I remark, as they are entering: "Wish we could have given y'all a better game." The husband spends the ride up telling me "I think Doc was sandbagging us. I think he didn't want to give anything away before conference play"
I am thinking "wtf are you talking about?" He repeats as they are exiting "I think Doc sandbagged us!"
This is the craziest thing I have ever heard a visiting fan say! Yeah, Doc didn't want to show MTSU any new wrinkles, so he & the team laid down for a solid AAC team, embarrassing the program and leaving the fan base f'd up...…..
It can't be true, can it?

Oh btw - I think we are out of the running for the G5 bowl slot!

Much later that night, getting on the elevator at the hotel. A Bearcat couple gets on with us. I remark, as they are entering: "Wish we could have given y'all a better game." The husband spends the ride up telling me "I think Doc was sandbagging us. I think he didn't want to give anything away before conference play"
I am thinking "wtf are you talking about?" He repeats as they are exiting "I think Doc sandbagged us!"
This is the craziest thing I have ever heard a visiting fan say! Yeah, Doc didn't want to show MTSU any new wrinkles, so he & the team laid down for a solid AAC team, embarrassing the program and leaving the fan base f'd up...…..

He was just being nice. He was really thinking - “You all suck!”

This program is judged how we do in a bowl game. That's all Doc and Hammy care about. We could go 6-6 and win the Bahamas Bowl and they would be like -
TA DA! We did something - now donate money damn it!

I've read similar statements in other posts and heard it in face-to-face conversations with other fans. I'm starting to think that there's fire to go with that smoke. Sadly.

Excellent post. I’ve said many times DH is about as interesting as a 5lb bag of fertilizer. I really have no interest in following anything he says because he says nothing.

Have you seen who he was around? Urban Meyer isn't exactly a bastion of excitement.

The team was completely unprepared as was the coaching staff.
No excuse to allow UC to move and execute the way they did.
But hey, it was a bounceback week for Michigan who was obliterated the week before, as was UC.
Hopefully MU bounces back this week.

Sadly I could see Doc doing this....also trying to get no one hurt but it hurts fan excitement

I don’t think he did but interesting conversation

While I am often frustrated by the lack of info Doc provides, I do wonder if the players appreciate his cover from time to time. Maybe even his assistant coaches do. He could have easily been frank about the beat-down his defensive backs too, how his DB coach had lost control of the players, how confused and apparently unprepared they were. He could have blamed it on the player's inability to hold their positions as coached at every practice on RPOs, he could have done many things. But he didn't, he merely acknowledged in his own way all that.

Cincy came in as a run team, but watched the films on MU and saw that there were great mis-matches in their favor in the passing game. They exploited us with vigor early, and the DBs got frustrated, blaming each other, totally confused. To correct this in a game requires the skills and execution of a dynamic position coach; we don't have one here.

Give UC credit, they did their home work and it worked early. They got a break by a stupid play by one of our defenders and it gave them a two score lead.

But our O stinks when matched against any truly talented team. And so the D is back on the field to be exploited even more before coaches can even try to get it corrected; not experienced enough to do it without a good stretch of time that the Offensive NEVER gave them the whole night.

Interesting, because I know of a certain player Doc evaluated and he waited until other schools offered to see what he would do. He did not do his own judgement on the kid. I know first hand how Doc recruits, and its his way or the highway, and I would agree character does not play a huge role. A 4.0 student that would be a huge asset as a team leader does not weight into Doc's decision.

***HOT TAKE ALERT***

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
No we weren’t. It was Boise, and ucf. The only time we were ever remotely in the conversation was 2014

Everyone is in the conversation at the beginning of the season. Being a conference favorite and having Boise and Cincy on the schedule allowed the Herd to be in the conversation period. Scoring 7 points at Boise quickly ended any thoughts, but it's fair to say that the conversation was there.

Everyone is in the conversation at the beginning of the season.

So UMess was in the conversation for the G5 spot, and Kansas was in the conversation for the National Championship?

Show me one publication that mentioned those schools in that conversation before, during, or after this season.

“In the conversation” refers to a reasonably possible scenario happening. It means that if people were discussing the chances of something taking place (certain teams making certain bowls), those teams mentioned would be in the conversation.

If you think Marshall was in that discussion, you must have had one hell of a long discussion.

UCF, Boise, Houston, Memphis, Cinci, Fresno, Utah State, SDSU, and App State were the minimum of teams that would be discussed ahead of Marshall. Pretending that a discussion in the national media would last for more than 10 G5 teams, which it doesn’t, I’d guess Temple with Russo returning and SMU with Buechele transferring in (and a friendly schedule that misses both UCF and Cinci) would have put them in any long conversation ahead of Marshall.

Nobody had Marshall realistically in the conversation. Technically, they had a chance, just like Kansas technically had a chance at the national championship. But nobody had either in the conversation.

So UMess was in the conversation for the G5 spot, and Kansas was in the conversation for the National Championship?

Show me one publication that mentioned those schools in that conversation before, during, or after this season.

“In the conversation” refers to a reasonably possible scenario happening. It means that if people were discussing the chances of something taking place (certain teams making certain bowls), those teams mentioned would be in the conversation.

If you think Marshall was in that discussion, you must have had one hell of a long discussion.

UCF, Boise, Houston, Memphis, Cinci, Fresno, Utah State, SDSU, and App State were the minimum of teams that would be discussed ahead of Marshall. Pretending that a discussion in the national media would last for more than 10 G5 teams, which it doesn’t, I’d guess Temple with Russo returning and SMU with Buechele transferring in (and a friendly schedule that misses both UCF and Cinci) would have put them in any long conversation ahead of Marshall.

Nobody had Marshall realistically in the conversation. Technically, they had a chance, just like Kansas technically had a chance at the national championship. But nobody had either in the conversation.

I guess what I am saying is everyone is in the conversation because everyone technically has a chance.

Some G5 teams maybe not in it simply because they would never get respect no matter what, but that being said- Marshall playing Boise (on the road) and Cincy makes them certainly in the conversation if they were to go undefeated. Also, Kansas absolutely would be as well. If they ran the table they would be in the playoff, no questions asked, guaranteed.

Maybe 'in the conversation' is a little bit more of an idiom than literal, but it is in fact true that if Marshall went undefeated they would certainly be the team to go, minus UCF doing the same. Period

Maybe 'in the conversation' is a little bit more of an idiom than literal, but it is in fact true that if Marshall went undefeated they would certainly be the team to go, minus UCF doing the same. Period

And that's false. Period.

Any undefeated team from the MWC or AAC would trump Marshall for the spot. Marshall wouldn't have beaten a single P5. For instance, if SDSU had gone undefeated, they would have wins over UCLA (which they do), BYU, Utah State, Fresno, and presumably Boise in the MWC Championship. Sorry, but they are definitely getting in over Marshall simply beating Boise and Cinci.

Fresno would have had wins over USC, Minnesota, Utah State, SDSU, and presumably Boise. They easily would get in over Marshall's top wins of Cinci and Boise.

We could play this game all day, but there is no way ("period") that an undefeated Marshall would get the spot as long as UCF didn't run the table. No way in hell.

This does not surprise me, and sounds like past behavior.

ADVERTISEMENT