ADVERTISEMENT

Doc's 17 season opener may never have meant more in his tenure...

Agree, this is likely the best Miami team since Ben played. Hey have a lot of starters coming back and a solid defense. Will be a tough one for our guys.

The most interesting part of Smocks, as usual, excellent research are the returning game maker players. Same Marshall team of 16 shows up for this game and another 66-6 drubbing could be in the works...

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports...ck-marshall-miami-football-opener-looms-large
excellent research? the first version of this article had Miami playing Minnesota in a bowl game this past December, someone must have gotten to him and corrected the online version. I'm guessing what went out in print stayed wrong.

I'll speculate we don't finish the season with Chase. I'm hoping Morel comes along under Gobbel QB coach , we are going to need him badly to step up and deliver the QB leadership this team deserves.

Bottom line we haven't had great leadership in 2 years and somebody on this team needs to lead.

My choices: Ryan Bee Defense and Youracheck Offense as co captains to provide the leadership and create team cohesiveness.

Saw where Chase posted on twitter, throwing bombs since 12..... don't think that's all about team imo.

Reactions: Cherobee
hey...we've got some good the sky is falling going on here...don't ruin it.
Miami had a fine 2nd half of the season last year and lost a heartbreaker to MSU in their Bowl game but I don't confuse them with 'bama! I agree this is a stiff test for an opener but at home it ain't Mission Impossible!

Miami had a fine 2nd half of the season last year and lost a heartbreaker to MSU in their Bowl game but I don't confuse them with 'bama! I agree this is a stiff test for an opener but at home it ain't Mission Impossible!

exactly. I have no high hopes or expectations of doom, I'm going to game and partying like normal and we'll see what happens.

lose...and I think we all know the wheels come off and short of a miracle run to finish season with good record...Doc is a dead man walking and the atmosphere at the Joan is like a funeral home.

exactly. I have no high hopes or expectations of doom, I'm going to game and partying like normal and we'll see what happens.

lose...and I think we all know the wheels come off and short of a miracle run to finish season with good record...Doc is a dead man walking and the atmosphere at the Joan is like a funeral home.
Well, a loss to the Redhawks would be a blow as are all home losses but not sure it would be a fatal blow unless we just lay down, which I don't expect. I'm optimistic that we'll get better QB play and that the O line will actually block somebody this season...if not, we're in for a repeat of 2016 which is too depressing for this old man to even fathom!

Yeah, I think that I read somewhere that they started out lousy in 2016, but then won 5 or 6 of their last games. Of course, those wins were against MAC opponents and not too sure how many top teams in that conference that they beat.

Then again, with the Herd going 3-9 in 2016, we didn't have that many memorable positive moments either. I guess the surprising win over MTSU at the Joan was our season highlight.

Well, a loss to the Redhawks would be a blow as are all home losses but not sure it would be a fatal blow unless we just lay down, which I don't expect. I'm optimistic that we'll get better QB play and that the O line will actually block somebody this season...if not, we're in for a repeat of 2016 which is too depressing for this old man to even fathom!
i'm just saying lose to Miami at home...you can count on losses to nc state and UC on the road...and....the wheels come off.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
i'm just saying lose to Miami at home...you can count on losses to nc state and UC on the road...and....the wheels come off.
Bearcats weren't very good last season either, I think the RedHawks play them before UC plays us. If Miami beats us both by similar scores UC is a winnable game ,IMHO! I agree NCSU will be too tough for us...can't see us scoring much against the 'pack.

Yeah, I think that I read somewhere that they started out lousy in 2016, but then won 5 or 6 of their last games. Of course, those wins were against MAC opponents and not too sure how many top teams in that conference that they beat.

Then again, with the Herd going 3-9 in 2016, we didn't have that many memorable positive moments either. I guess the surprising win over MTSU at the Joan was our season highlight.
Agree...that was the highlight of a dismal season. I didn't think we had enough fight left at that point to win that game.

Bearcats weren't very good last season either, I think the RedHawks play them before UC plays us. If Miami beats us both by similar scores UC is a winnable game ,IMHO! I agree NCSU will be too tough for us...can't see us scoring much against the 'pack.
you might be a cock eyed optimist! we'll see.

I'll wait until opener to lose my mind.

Until we get a qb we will not be a good team. Litton is not a leader. Cant believe Marshall has been called quarterback University but now we got memelitton.

you might be a cock eyed optimist! we'll see.

I'll wait until opener to lose my mind.

Checked the UC schedule some time back. I believe they play Austin Peay at home, Notre Dame away, Miami, (O) away and a home game with Wisconsin, not necessarily in that order, before they play the Herd. MU has an open date on Sep. 23, before playing UC on Sep.30. To me, with 2 weeks to prepare, this will be a real test of Doc and his staff's coaching and preparation abilities, or lack thereof, here in season 8.

Reactions: sistersville
Checked the UC schedule some time back. I believe they play Austin Peay at home, Notre Dame away, Miami, (O) away and a home game with Wisconsin, not necessarily in that order, before they play the Herd. MU has an open date on Sep. 23, before playing UC on Sep.30. To me, with 2 weeks to prepare, this will be a real test of Doc and his staff's coaching and preparation abilities, or lack thereof, here in season 8.
Maybe the Bearcats will be a victim of attrition when we invade Nippert. Looking forward to that road trip, it'll be a tough game for both sides , can't see the game getting away from either side, looks to be a dogfight.

I'm not going to crown Miami as a "tough" team yet. They did finish the season strong last year but at the same time, they did lose 7 games as well, yeah they played MSU tough, but MSU was not world beater either......... I am going to go to the game, but like most of you, I won't go to it with expectations. Let the herd surprise me or disappoint me, that's up to them.

I will say that if we manage to win it, UC odds just went up and NCSU is on notice. That is all.

CRYiami 2016 Results:

Iowa 45......Hawks 21
Eastern Ill ...21...Hawks 17
Western Ky 31...Hawks 24
Cinn....27..Hawks 20
Ohio...17...Hawks 7
Akron ...35...Hawks 13
Hawks 18---Kent St...14
Hawks 40..B Green..26
Hawks 28..E Mich..15
Hawks 37..Central Mich..17
Hawks 35...Buffalo..24
Hawks 21...Ball St..20

**6-6 season record to earn a Bowl bid with 6 game winning streak

St Petersburg Bowl: Dec 26, 2016

Miss State 17...Hawks 16

Makes no mistake, Miami is the most important game of Doc's tenure. Lose at home and we are almost certain to finish no better than 3-9. As shown last year, Doc has a major moral issue with this team. I will never forget HIS team quitting vs WKU last year. Had I been AD I'm not sure he would have survived. I think if we lose to Miami the team will quit, but almost just as important it will show we have not improved enough compete again. It's as close to a must win as you can get IMO.

Doc always says recruits buy with their eyes ....so now Doc has:

- best IAF in the nation P5 or G5

- best football locker rooms in G5 ( I'd speculate)

- a weight room facility that probably is Top of the pack G5 ( I'd speculate part deaux)

- a stadium with almost new turf and probably is one of the best in G5 , Top 20%.

Bottom line we lose opener v Miami and that stadium is going to be frosty going forth.

I keep thinking back to Cato, having a poor sophomore year and then coming back his junior year and really becoming a leader and a thinker at QB. Maybe Chase can learn to throw the ball underneath and become a leader like Cato or Tom Brady to Yuracheck who ran routes for no reason last year....somehow I seriously doubt he will, and if he doesn't, I'd like to see us looking to La Tech for our next HC.

Makes no mistake, Miami is the most important game of Doc's tenure. Lose at home and we are almost certain to finish no better than 3-9. As shown last year, Doc has a major moral issue with this team. I will never forget HIS team quitting vs WKU last year. Had I been AD I'm not sure he would have survived. I think if we lose to Miami the team will quit, but almost just as important it will show we have not improved enough compete again. It's as close to a must win as you can get IMO.
I agree it's huge game for Doc, I agree we just " laid down" for WKU last season and it was hard to stomach. I can't agree that if we lose to Miami the 2017 season is over , my heart won't accept that and my head tells me Miami is one of the better teams on our 2017 slate. I kind of think we'll be a full TD 'dog in that game even though it's at the Joan.

agree we just " laid down" for WKU last season and it was hard to stomach. I

That was the most disturbing part, I have never seen that in all my years of watching Marshall Football. Team did not care.

Yes I'd speculate we are at least a 10 point dog at HOME v a MAC school. Hate to admit it , we aren't going in the right direction under Doc. All the building, all the new facilities, it's been wonderful but...3-9 season, a quesrionable QB, and a team that quits isn't what I expect from Marshall Football.

If this season tanks early , somebody needs to get Tony Peterson on the phone by October !

Veeingle just wrote a left handed Marshall can rebound article due to us playing a CUSA weak sked. Funny NC State and Cinnci are a loss and a toss up for his former big east mtnrs. Butch Davis and everyone's favorite at FAU both have worthy pedigrees.

That was the most disturbing part, I have never seen that in all my years of watching Marshall Football. Team did not care.

Yes I'd speculate we are at least a 10 point dog at HOME v a MAC school. Hate to admit it , we aren't going in the right direction under Doc. All the building, all the new facilities, it's been wonderful but...3-9 season, a quesrionable QB, and a team that quits isn't what I expect from Marshall Football.

If this season tanks early , somebody needs to get Tony Peterson on the phone by October !

Veeingle just wrote a left handed Marshall can rebound article due to us playing a CUSA weak sked. Funny NC State and Cinnci are a loss and a toss up for his former big east mtnrs. Butch Davis and everyone's favorite at FAU both have worthy pedigrees.
Really we weren't competitive with the 'toppers in 2015 either but at least we played with effort but just got waylaid by a better team. We owe that bunch big time but not sure we have the firepower to get revenge this season.

My only point about losing to Miami is that I believe if we lose our opener at home this team will fold. I am not convinced we have any Cato type leaders to right the ship after a heart breaking loss. I compare it to the 2013 season when we had back to back heart breaking losses to Ohio and VT then bounced back to win our division. I just have zero confidence in the players Doc has recruited and it's their job to erase the memory of a team quitting vs a rival in the last game of the year (a lot of these same players we are counting on to turn it around). I also unfortunately have the advantage of hearing exactly what happened inside and out of that locker room last year and it's not pretty. In fact, it's appalling that Doc let it get that out of hand. I was friends with players under the Pruett era (when I went to school) and they had their fun, but this was a whole new level. I just pray last year was rock bottom, we have turned the corner, and now we are on the way back up. 9/2 will tell us all we need to know IMO...

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Just wondering... if you were the AD, where would you have come up with the money to buy out Doc's contract?

You don't, you stick to your gut instinct that Coach Doc is the right one for the job. Some of you have no sense of loyalty. You will be back on the Herd wagon when we turn it around.

You don't, you stick to your gut instinct that Coach Doc is the right one for the job. Some of you have no sense of loyalty. You will be back on the Herd wagon when we turn it around.

There is a difference in being loyal to the program and having a huge concern in the direction it's going.

Doc always says recruits buy with their eyes ....so now Doc has:

- best IAF in the nation P5 or G5

- best football locker rooms in G5 ( I'd speculate)

- a weight room facility that probably is Top of the pack G5 ( I'd speculate part deaux)

- a stadium with almost new turf and probably is one of the best in G5 , Top 20%.

Your ignorance to reality is astounding.

I'm tired of hearing how this TEAM quit last season. If you want to point to a few individuals and make that claim then fine; I'll listen. But this whole team never quit. And they won't this season, either, no matter what happens in the opener.

Reactions: pdbailey and ToesMU
Playing devils advocate judge. So if they didn't quit does that mean we are that behind in talent to WKY to lose to them by 60 at home?

It was both Cali, they quit and WKU had better players. Remember, we were running with a lot of green young faces last year. The team quit other than one game after Akron.

It was both Cali, they quit and WKU had better players. Remember, we were running with a lot of green young faces last year. The team quit other than one game after Akron.
I don't think the team ever recovered from the Akron debacle. Zips weren't very good but just manhandled us from the mid way point of the 2nd quarter! I don't remember walking out of the Joan being more vexed.

I don't think the team ever recovered from the Akron debacle. Zips weren't very good but just manhandled us from the mid way point of the 2nd quarter! I don't remember walking out of the Joan being more vexed.
There's a lot of speculation of why this and that. My opinion is the veterans hadn't faced adversity like that and the new faces shouldn't be expected to deal with it. Whether it was quitting, the domino effect of misfortune, injury, bad attitudes, all the above, we will never know. I honestly contend that there was more to it than anyone on here really knows. Some know much more than others though, I am definitely not one of them. All I know is what I saw on the field the rest of the season. When the team played like it "could", it beat a decent MTSU team handily, so the losses to all the crap programs has to be questioned heavily. All one can hope for this year is Doc learned and dealt with the issues, the new infused talent will help, and the new faces last year grew up.

ADVERTISEMENT