ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone know what our current media deal is?

We have always HERD........¨We do more with little at Marshall.¨

Assume this will be your answer from the AD´ś Administration office.

HerdZilla22

Zilla, believe that was a take on highpockets Klueless Kayo Marcum's "slow dime, fast nickel" philosophy!!

This is correct, and also something I always think about when I'm sitting through a TV timeout in a conference game.

What are you thinking? I'm thinking that for only $200,000 we should skip the commercials. It can't work out to more than a couple grand per commercial break. The Big Ten teams get our entire year pay out for each commercial break of each game.

Reactions: sistersville
What are you thinking? I'm thinking that for only $200,000 we should skip the commercials. It can't work out to more than a couple grand per commercial break.

One of the road games last year - I think it was Charlotte - was commercial-free. I think all C-USA conference games should be. Do the advertising with live reads and graphics, and just let the game flow. Focus the experience on the people paying for tickets to see it live, hopefully to give those folks a better experience and make them want to come back to whatever C-USA stadium they went to.

The whole thing is built off a fallacy - when media reps sell TV advertising, they multiply the audience by the number of times your ad is shown. So if there's only 5,000 people watching, they give you 10 ads in an hour and call it "50,000 impressions." Its a much more impressive number, but the reality is most folks only watch the ad 1-2 times before tuning it out completely, especially when shown in rapid succession.

One of the road games last year - I think it was Charlotte - was commercial-free. I think all C-USA conference games should be. Do the advertising with live reads and graphics, and just let the game flow. Focus the experience on the people paying for tickets to see it live, hopefully to give those folks a better experience and make them want to come back to whatever C-USA stadium they went to.

The whole thing is built off a fallacy - when media reps sell TV advertising, they multiply the audience by the number of times your ad is shown. So if there's only 5,000 people watching, they give you 10 ads in an hour and call it "50,000 impressions." Its a much more impressive number, but the reality is most folks only watch the ad 1-2 times before tuning it out completely, especially when shown in rapid succession.

I think most if not all of the games shown on FB are commercial free. Instead you get 25 minutes of "immersive" "never before seen" access to the production trailer.

Reactions: herdalicious
I avoided this topic, as I knew the “it sucks, I want to have every game on ESPN mothership, like we did when dshoe was alive and BP was winning national championships” false memories were exercised.

In numbers terms, the ODU beat writer from the Virginian-Pilot, who seems to have a grasp on this (and hates CUSA with a passion) reports it is about $400K/school/year.

Football breaks down like this:
- CBSSN - 9 games plus championship
- Facebook, produced by CBSSN - 3 games. These are the ones show with the “extra content” and no commercials.
- NFL Network - 10 games
- Stadium, 8 games
- Facebook, produced by Stadium - 7 games. These seven games replace whatever is on the local Stadium channel (WVAH 11.2) and have locally sold (Dutch Miller, hospitals, etc) commercials.
- ESPN - ESPN3 (free internet) or ESPN+ ($5/month) carry the rest.

As to men’s basketball, it is split between Stadium, CBSSN, their two Facebook pages, and ESPN3 and +. CBSSN gets first choice, more or less. school covers production costs, other sports can show up on various internet feeds as well.

Every MU football game and all but one MU basketball game, was on some sort of video this year, and seems that this will continue.

ADVERTISEMENT