ADVERTISEMENT

Doug Smocks list of great football wins

Interesting, he notes nothing since 03. 8 of these were under the Pruett era.

Really, I would have a hard time putting any wins from the last 17 years in the top 12 all time... Maybe beating Maryland in the bowl game? Maybe the one CUSA title game we won?... Other than that its pretty slim picking.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
That list is silly. To say the ECU win is bigger than the C-USA title win in 2014 , no way. ECU was a 6-6 school in C-USA that season. Granted it was one heck of a comeback and exciting. There was nothing extra special about that other than a nice win that created some buzz on a highlight reel that weekend.. Beating Maryland, an ACC and now Big 10 school, in a bowl not better than Louisville in 98? Good grief. UL was in C-USA and had a 7-5 record. A nice win to cap off a good season but in no way a better win. I would suggest the win over UL in 2011 was a bigger win for the program at that time. UL was in the Big East and had a 7-6 record. How about the Purdue win at home in 2015? That was a win over a Big 10 school something we had not done before.Granted Purdue did not have a great season. In my world that was a bigger win than Miami in 02 who was 7-5 in the MAC. I get people wanted Doc gone but this is silly to exclude any win since 03. I get the placement of Xavier and ETSU on the list but the exclusion of any win since 03 is dumb

That list is silly. To say the ECU win is bigger than the C-USA title win in 2014 , no way. ECU was a 6-6 school in C-USA that season. Granted it was one heck of a comeback and exciting. There was nothing extra special about that other than a nice win that created some buzz on a highlight reel that weekend.. Beating Maryland, an ACC and now Big 10 school, in a bowl not better than Louisville in 98? Good grief. UL was in C-USA and had a 7-5 record. A nice win to cap off a good season but in no way a better win. I would suggest the win over UL in 2011 was a bigger win for the program at that time. UL was in the Big East and had a 7-6 record. How about the Purdue win at home in 2015? That was a win over a Big 10 school something we had not done before.Granted Purdue did not have a great season. In my world that was a bigger win than Miami in 02 who was 7-5 in the MAC. I get people wanted Doc gone but this is silly to exclude any win since 03. I get the placement of Xavier and ETSU on the list but the exclusion of any win since 03 is dumb
Agree, this is one man's list, and it states he had to eliminate some very good wins to get to "his" list.

The reason why Louisville in 98 was put on there was due to the fact that it was our first bowl win in our school history. They also had a future NFL QB in Chris are’s man as their QB.

The 2 I would take off would be ECU in 01 and Miami 02. The ECU game was one of the most exciting bowl games in history but at the end of the day we were favored in this game and it took an incredible comeback for us to beat a 500 level CUSA team. The Miami 02 game I get why it was a big win. We beat them without Byron. It won us the MAC East which in turn allowed us to win the MACC. It also let Byron go undefeated against Ben Rothlesberger in college. But it was a home game and it wasn’t a monumental upset that we won. Considering we lost 1 game that year.

I would replace those 2 games with the 2014 championship game win against La Tech and the beat down of Maryland in the Armed Forces Bowl. I think this was the best win of the Doc era. We dominated MD in all facets of the game on a national stage.

Reactions: ohio herd
A lot of those old wins (like Clemson) benefit from time and distance. Clemson that year was probably on par with Purdue in 2015; just wins over "name" schools when their teams were completely atrocious.

Reactions: The Real SamC
When I put a list like that together, the 99 MACC game is always on top, or at least number two on the list. The 71 Xavier game is a special game and that will always go on everyone's list. The 92 NC game was really the beginning of things to come and will always be one of the three greatest football games ever in Marshall football history in my opinion.

Maryland And Purdue were both good wins and the Purdue game was electric.

Spot on with your post, can’t ignore the positive games during Doc’s tenure.

Reactions: ohio herd

List looked good to me

Maryland And Purdue were both good wins and the Purdue game was electric.

Spot on with your post, can’t ignore the positive games during Doc’s tenure.

Doc's most impressive win might be the Win down at Louisville on Cato's late TD pass. True road win and I believe they either were Big East co-champs that season, or one of the top 2 or 3 teams in that League!!

A lot of those old wins (like Clemson) benefit from time and distance. Clemson that year was probably on par with Purdue in 2015; just wins over "name" schools when their teams were completely atrocious.
I don’t think so at all. Clemson record was not impressive but three of their losses were to the three undefeated teams that year. FSU, Va tech and Marshall. They lost to the national champs by same score they did Marshall that year (same field too). I don’t see that Purdue team staying within 3 of national champs

Sorry licious I don’t believe that’s true. Clemson had a good team that year. 3 of their losses were FG losses to the 3 undefeated IA teams FSU, Va Tech and Marshall.

South Carolina SEC in 98 is a better comparison. They were 1-10.

When you have to prop up the competition through measuring how many points they lost to others by, just to strengthen your case about your own team, you're covering for a weak base to begin with.

When you have to prop up the competition through measuring how many points they lost to others by, just to strengthen your case about your own team, you're covering for a weak base to begin with.

A little different in this case. 50% of Clemson's losses were at the hands of the 3 regular season undefeated in Div I A football. Two of the three were in the National Championship.

If you can't accept validity to that then I'm not sure if you are being deliberately naive and/or just wanting to devalue Pruett's accomplishments.

silly comment. Nothing there to strengthen case about "your own team". The comment was in rebuttal to saying the Clemson win was comparable to the Purdue win. It was a foolish statement by a variety of measures.

I don’t have to prop up anything. If you can’t see the difference between a 6 win Clemson team who had 3 close losses to that years national champion, that years runner up and the other undefeated and top 10 team that year vs a terrible Purdue team that we played at home then I don’t know what to tell you.

What’s funny is you ignored my genuine comparison which was the 98 win over South Carolina. It was a great win for us because it was a SEC school but they won 1 game and the only thing that makes it notable is that they are in the SEC. Purdue was terrible but it was exciting because they were in the Big 10 but like South Carolina if they had a non P5 helmet nobody would have been impressed.

Last edited:
I don’t have to prop up anything. If you can’t see the difference between a 6 win Clemson team who had 3 close losses to that years national champion, that years runner up and the other undefeated and top 10 team that year vs a terrible Purdue team that we played at home then I don’t know what to tell you.

What’s funny is you ignored my genuine comparison which was the 98 win over South Carolina. It was a great win for us because it was a SEC school but they won 1 game and the only thing that makes it notable is that they are in the SEC. Purdue was terrible but it was exciting because they were in the Big 10 but like South Carolina if they had a non P5 helmet nobody would have been impressed.

Never said anything bad about Purdue or South Carolina.
I'm saying Clemson was a .500 team that year, not particularly good. Plenty of bad teams hang with National Champion teams all the time, some even win.
Clemson didn't.

A little different in this case. 50% of Clemson's losses were at the hands of the 3 regular season undefeated in Div I A football. Two of the three were in the National Championship.

If you can't accept validity to that then I'm not sure if you are being deliberately naive and/or just wanting to devalue Pruett's accomplishments.
Unless you bet on those games, scores and results don't matter. Wins are wins, losses are losses.
Nobody's going to look at Clemson's 6-6 season and measure it as any sort of a positive because they lost to teams they were supposed to.

Marshall University beating Clemson on the road as a member of the MAC in the start of their 3rd season in IA was a big win, and no W/L doesn’t always tell the story. Marshall was 12-1 in 1998 but because of the schedule I have no idea how good they were that year. I think we were good because of the amount of pros that ended up in the NFL and CFL from that team but because of how weak the schedule I don’t know.

Clemson lost 5 regular season games in 1999. Their losses were to the number 1 team in the country at home by 3, the number 2 team in the country away by 19 (their worst loss), the number 10 team in the country at home by 3, away at the number 13th ranked team in the country by 3 and finally at NC State by 4.

They then lost the Peach Bowl to number 15 Miss State by 10.

They played 6 ranked teams and lost to 5 of them. The 5 losses were by an average of 7 points. They lost to the 3 undefeated regular season DI teams, one being the National champs.

All 6 of their wins were against P5 teams including beating a ranked Virginia team.

My point is all records are not created equal and Clemson had a good football team in 1999 and it easily on the list as one of our better wins.

Marshall University beating Clemson on the road as a member of the MAC in the start of their 3rd season in IA was a big win, and no W/L doesn’t always tell the story. Marshall was 12-1 in 1998 but because of the schedule I have no idea how good they were that year. I think we were good because of the amount of pros that ended up in the NFL and CFL from that team but because of how weak the schedule I don’t know.

Clemson lost 5 regular season games in 1999. Their losses were to the number 1 team in the country at home by 3, the number 2 team in the country away by 19 (their worst loss), the number 10 team in the country at home by 3, away at the number 13th ranked team in the country by 3 and finally at NC State by 4.

They played 6 ranked teams and lost to 5 of them. The 5 losses were by an average of 7 points. They lost to the 3 undefeated regular season DI teams, one being the National champs.

All 6 of their wins were against P5 teams including beating a ranked Virginia team.

My point is all records are not created equal and Clemson had a good football team in 1999 and it easily on the list as one of our better wins.

It's funny, details like this mattered a great deal when they were used to justify Holliday's losses. Hell, at least Pruett won against this traditional college football powerhouse.

Clemson in 1998 had 3 wins. As you said, MU was 12-1 and even with a weak schedule that is good.
Wouldn't MU have been favored to win over Clemson in 1999?

Clemson in 1998 had 3 wins. As you said, MU was 12-1 and even with a weak schedule that is good.
Wouldn't MU have been favored to win over Clemson in 1999?
Deflection. Winning in Death Valley is a hell of a feat. We ran the table in 1999 and were a hell of a ball team. Nothing you can say can take away from that. We were a damn good team and I will not let you tarnish that with poppycock.

Reactions: caliherd
ADVERTISEMENT