ADVERTISEMENT

Early Line on the Miami Game

3 points for home field right? So doesn’t that mean it’s .5 points in our favor home field giving them the pick?

That's mostly a myth. Oddsmakers don't automatically adjust a line by three points based on where the game is. All sorts of factors are considered about the location of the game including the weather at that location, travel time for the away team, attendance, environment, etc.

Playing a night game at LSU, Clemson, or Oregon is going to have more of a factor on the line than if Akron is playing at Buffalo. Compared to those first three schools, factors such as noise will be non-existent at a game in Buffalo.

Sagarin's predictor thread automatically adds 3.31 for home field advantage, but that is not how oddsmakers do it, because Sagarin's computers cannot manipulate the prediction of each game based on those things I listed each week.

I agree, and I’m not to percise on Miami’s returnees, but honestly it’s going to be like the East Carolina game of 2013. They remember how close they were last year on the road. Now, in Oxford for the first game it’s going to be a dog fight. Gus Ragland is starting to urk my nerves, similar to Tyler Tettleson. Then again Stockstill is still eligible and breathing.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
We have no qb replaced both coordinators and struggled to beat them at home last year. That line isn’t shocking
I agree completely. We are way to attached. If you were a betting man in Wyoming and you look at this game. You say, let's see, the game is in Oxford. Marshall won last year on 2 90+ yard KO returns. Miami has most back. Marshall lost a QB , 2 coordinators. ?????????

We have no qb replaced both coordinators and struggled to beat them at home last year. That line isn’t shocking

Yep.

Plus, Miami should be pretty decent.

The ESPN Power index has them at 6.5 wins.

Athlon has them at 6-6.

Phil Steele has them 2nd in the MAC East and in a bowl game.

We're going to have to play well to win.

Our last trip to Oxford was anything but easy (2014). The final score looked better than the game that was played on the field and that was with Cato under center. We will have to play a good game to win.

Whatever this game could set the tone for the season for both teams. Miami will be ready. It’s a MAC team - Doc better be ready.

That's mostly a myth. Oddsmakers don't automatically adjust a line by three points based on where the game is. All sorts of factors are considered about the location of the game including the weather at that location, travel time for the away team, attendance, environment, etc.

Playing a night game at LSU, Clemson, or Oregon is going to have more of a factor on the line than if Akron is playing at Buffalo. Compared to those first three schools, factors such as noise will be non-existent at a game in Buffalo.

Sagarin's predictor thread automatically adds 3.31 for home field advantage, but that is not how oddsmakers do it, because Sagarin's computers cannot manipulate the prediction of each game based on those things I listed each week.

Makes sense. Surely in November games weather factors like ice and snow are considered in games played in Buffalo, while such factors are nonexistent at places like LSU, Clemson and even at Oregon on most days.

Yep.

Plus, Miami should be pretty decent.

The ESPN Power index has them at 6.5 wins.

Athlon has them at 6-6.

Phil Steele has them 2nd in the MAC East and in a bowl game.

We're going to have to play well to win.

All of which tells me that we all better hope that the Herd's defense is ever bit as good as it is expected to be, . . . or even better!!

I haven't looked at their schedule but Hamrick told me that only had 2 Saturday home games,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT