ADVERTISEMENT

EKU lands and Herd player.

Williams joins Bennett at EKU...
All the best to both of them! I was a bit surprised to see Williams go to EKU, I thought he was a solid player for us and could have been a contributor at a place like UGA or GT. But A. W. probably a hard guy to say no to and they seem to be building. Bennett is an enigma, a ton of potential ( no pun intended) that was unrealized at Marshall. Maybe a new coach and atmosphere will be beneficial to him, seems to be a nice kid that simply struggles to put down the fork. If A.W. can reach him where Danny couldn't they will have a presence around the basket that will be tough in OVC play. Wish them success!

Speaking frankly I think it stinks.
Going to a Power conference program I totally get.

Going to a power school in a non power conference i.e. Dayton or Xavier etc. I get.

Going to a mid major that’s at the same level or lower level than Marshall but much closer to where you grew up I totally get.

But going to a lower level mid major (yeah I know AW is John Wooden and EKU is now UCLA) that is 2 hours away from a school that you were a 3 year starter and 4 year contributor I don’t get.

I wish him well and thank him for his time at MU but I don’t care at all what his career at EKU is like.

It certainly sets up an interesting historical view down the road of our all-time blocks leaders.

One set the record in only one year of play, and then left for the NBA. The other set the record after a four year career, and then left for the Atlantic Sun Conference.

Reactions: caliherd
It certainly sets up an interesting historical view down the road of our all-time blocks leaders.

One set the record in only one year of play, and then left for the NBA. The other set the record after a four year career, and then left for the Atlantic Sun Conference.
I'd forgotten they left the OVC after being a member for 75 years it seems. I guess Williams is a couple hours closer to home in Richmond as opposed to Huntington. I really thought he'd end up in Athens or Atlanta being a role player off the bench. Maybe that's not what the wanted or he never got offered that chance. Certainly he has a right to be self-directed but EKU does seem a bit curious although A.W. could sell ice to an Eskimo!

Maybe he is like honey badger and don't give a shit. He gave us his time and did what was best for him. Could be a host of reasons. From athletic to academic to personal. More power to him. I see no harm in it.

EKU had a good season, and almost went to the big dance. Should be even better next year.

Can't blame Williams for going to a better program to finish out his career, with a legitimate shot at making it to the big dance.
Can't agree they're a better program than MU...would have been a tough dogfight of a game between us last season if the matchup hadn't been cancelled due to COVID. They haven't beaten us in several years but that doesn't mean they couldn't beat us. EKU biggest basketball's problem is being 20 miles from Rupp arena, UK get's all the ink and TV coverage , Colonels are an after thought.

So, EKU is in the same boat as the Herd, in regard to ink and TV coverage.
Very different...MU gets all the ink and TV coverage in Huntington, EKU gets no love from the Lexington Media, lucky to find their scores in the Herald-Leader.

EKU had a good season, and almost went to the big dance. Should be even better next year.

Can't blame Williams for going to a better program to finish out his career, with a legitimate shot at making it to the big dance.
Not so sure EKU will be better next season. Two of their best players transferred (Tre King Georgetown and Wendell Green to Auburn) and Brandon Knapper left school.

Not so sure EKU will be better next season. Two of their best players transferred (Tre King Georgetown and Wendell Green to Auburn) and Brandon Knapper left school.
I'm guessing they'll be close to the same. They did bring in the guard from NC State who should be pretty good for them, as well as Williams. Regardless, just a low mid-major school whose main objective is to win their conference tournament to get to the dance.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
I'm guessing they'll be close to the same. They did bring in the guard from NC State who should be pretty good for them, as well as Williams. Regardless, just a low mid-major school whose main objective is to win their conference tournament to get to the dance.
Agree they'll still be pretty good. I bet the Beverly kid has a big time season.

Agree they'll still be pretty good. I bet the Beverly kid has a big time season.
Haven't seen the 2021-22 basketball slate yet ( guess it's still under construction) but I'm slightly more afraid of Morehead than EKU. They too have a tough big man, he didn't back down from the WVU bunch!

ADVERTISEMENT