ADVERTISEMENT

Electric vehicles

greengeezer

Platinum Buffalo
Dec 25, 2007
I am in the market for a new vehicle. I was looking online at some of the total electric cars and find them looking like something from a science fiction movie, very expensive, and having a somewhat limited range. I’m also aware that at present, we only have one or two recharging stations in the whole county.
Anyone own an electric vehicle? If so, share your experience.

I am in the market for a new vehicle. I was looking online at some of the total electric cars and find them looking like something from a science fiction movie, very expensive, and having a somewhat limited range. I’m also aware that at present, we only have one or two recharging stations in the whole county.
Electricity prices in Europe are approaching $1/kwh which would translate to approximately $100 to fully charge a full size EV. Those energy prices are coming here thanks to the designed and purposeful destruction of western civilization.

Some of you guys get a mulligan for falling for the first hoax to enslave humanity. Falling for the climate change hoax is truly next-level idiocy, and if you fall for it you deserve what you get.

The climate change hoax and push for EVs by governments which will overwhelm the grid and kill millions are only two problems with EVs. Next you have the planned obsolescence nature of battery-powered anything. All batteries start losing storing capacity immediately, and your $65,000 EV will be sitting in a landfill in a decade if you choose not to replace the $25,000 battery.

Rox is right. We are going to go down this road and it is going to be a mistake and a financial catasrophe for some.

Electric vehicles right now are not a good deal at all and not practical at all. Even if gas is $5 a damn gallon(needlessly by the way), I would still not buy an electric care.

First, the cars are expensive and unproven in the long run. We have been buidlig the internal combustion engine for decades and the moder engines are very reliable. Electric cars are basically still in the early stages and being tested. Second, they are going to be disposable cars. Replacement batteries right now for the vehicle you are buying are exensive to replace. When the car is 7 years old are you going to spend thousands and thousands on new betteries or just get rid of it? Third, it limits your lifestyle. Want to drive to Florida? Add another day practically. Want to drive from Huntington to Morgantown and back? Add 2 or 3 hour, maybe more to charge and good luck in some spots finding a charging station. Fourth, see where this goes as rox pointed out. The next 18 months are so are going to be interesting. We will enter economic recession(we are actually in the early stages now) and your electric bill might double in the next 18 to 24 months,

Finally, those thing are just not practical and are a terrible investment.

Rox is right. We are going to go down this road and it is going to be a mistake and a financial catasrophe for some.

Electric vehicles right now are not a good deal at all and not practical at all. Even if gas is $5 a damn gallon(needlessly by the way), I would still not buy an electric care.

First, the cars are expensive and unproven in the long run. We have been buidlig the internal combustion engine for decades and the moder engines are very reliable. Electric cars are basically still in the early stages and being tested. Second, they are going to be disposable cars. Replacement batteries right now for the vehicle you are buying are exensive to replace. When the car is 7 years old are you going to spend thousands and thousands on new betteries or just get rid of it? Third, it limits your lifestyle. Want to drive to Florida? Add another day practically. Want to drive from Huntington to Morgantown and back? Add 2 or 3 hour, maybe more to charge and good luck in some spots finding a charging station. Fourth, see where this goes as rox pointed out. The next 18 months are so are going to be interesting. We will enter economic recession(we are actually in the early stages now) and your electric bill might double in the next 18 to 24 months,

Finally, those thing are just not practical and are a terrible investment.
All cars are a terrible investment as they are meant for transportation not to make money on. California has been using more electric cars than other state I believe and I have not heard of any complaints about the cost of using them but gasoline will always be high for the combustion engines because the oil companies will forever gouge us. Go green and Go Herd you big Green.

All cars are a terrible investment as they are meant for transportation not to make money on. California has been using more electric cars than other state I believe and I have not heard of any complaints about the cost of using them but gasoline will always be high for the combustion engines because the oil companies will forever gouge us. Go green and Go Herd you big Green.
How long has it been since you’ve driven?

• Haha
Reactions: mlblack16.
Well, I don't want an electric go kart. I want to drive to Florida and stop and get gass and take a piss. Out in a few minutes. I don't want to try to find a charging station in BFE and sit there for an hour or two.

I don't own a F250 quad cab but, by god, if I want to I have the choice.

Leave us the hell alone.

EVs are meant to be charged primarily at home. If you can’t home charge you shouldn’t get one. If you regularly take trips longer than the car’s range and there isn’t a ICE car in your family you shouldn’t either.

I like my electric car. I don’t have to stop for gas ever, I just plug it in when I get home every day and it automatically charges at night when the electricity is cheapest. Additionally, there is no oil to change, and the brake pads wear out a lot slower since most of your braking will be regenerative instead of using the pads. Low maintenance is the #1 reason I got an EV.

I think they’ve done a better job of making them look like regular cars lately. Some do still look funky. In terms of price, when I got mine used it was pretty close to the price of a used ICE of about the same class/features. That may have changed over the last two years. Make sure you factor in savings from gas and savings from maintenance when considering the price though.

Lots a bugs to work out for the EV's. Charging stations mostly. Too costly now. I won't buy one until the grid charging stations are more complete. Juts overhyped now. jmho

Lots a bugs to work out for the EV's. Charging stations mostly. Too costly now. I won't buy one until the grid charging stations are more complete. Juts overhyped now. jmho
It depends on use case. Besides the day I bought mine I’ve never once had to use a charging station. If you regularly would have to then yeah I would wait.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
my network guy has a tesla and loves it. went for a drive with him the other day and that son of a bee will set you back in your seat and hold you. 0-60 in like 4 seconds. he indicated it's costing him about $58/month to charge it at home in comparison to spending approximately $200/mo on gas in his prior vehicle. he said he tries to keep it between 20% and 80% charge for optimum battery life.

it has a GPS on it that shows how much charge he'll have remaining after he gets to the location and shows charging stations along the route with the number of chargers available for use, which is pretty cool.

he said he took it to the beach a while back and factored in the time he would need to spend at charging stations. while waiting for it to charge, you can watch netflix or do other tasks on the large screen. he said he had to stop and charge for about 20 minutes on the way and about the same on the return trip.

i think it boils down to fear of change, although i get the infrastructure issue. i'd go buy a new EV silverado today if i could find one AND if they weren't >$100K; hell, i wasn't pleased with myself for paying $65K for the last one, no way i'm shelling out that much for a vehicle (unless I had that kind of FU money laying around, which I'd then likely buy a new corvette z06 that i could kill muhself in).

Well, I don't want an electric go kart. I want to drive to Florida and stop and get gass and take a piss. Out in a few minutes. I don't want to try to find a charging station in BFE and sit there for an hour or two.

I don't own a F250 quad cab but, by god, if I want to I have the choice.

Leave us the hell alone.
You still have a choice you buy whatever you want in a vehicle. Some others might want to buy an electric car. Amazon is buying 100 thousand electric vans from Rivian.

EVs are meant to be charged primarily at home. If you can’t home charge you shouldn’t get one. If you regularly take trips longer than the car’s range and there isn’t a ICE car in your family you shouldn’t either.

I like my electric car. I don’t have to stop for gas ever, I just plug it in when I get home every day and it automatically charges at night when the electricity is cheapest. Additionally, there is no oil to change, and the brake pads wear out a lot slower since most of your braking will be regenerative instead of using the pads. Low maintenance is the #1 reason I got an EV.

I think they’ve done a better job of making them look like regular cars lately. Some do still look funky. In terms of price, when I got mine used it was pretty close to the price of a used ICE of about the same class/features. That may have changed over the last two years. Make sure you factor in savings from gas and savings from maintenance when considering the price though.
Well. i made it to your second sentence.

I should not get one, good advice.

You still have a choice you buy whatever you want in a vehicle. Some others might want to buy an electric car. Amazon is buying 100 thousand electric vans from Rivian.
Well if I lived in California Nazi Newsome says I can't for much longer.

You drive a Nissan Leaf. Your opinion is irrelevant

• Haha
Reactions: ThunderCat98
I hate the thought of being away from home and having to spend twenty minutes at some thug filled 7-11 charging my vehicle.

Reactions: Jartard
You drive a Nissan Leaf. Your opinion is irrelevant
I give 0 shits about what car I drive as long as it gets me from point A to B. Before this I drove an Oldsmobile Alero with hand crank windows and a Suzuki SX4 with a ticking time bomb CVT under the hood. It’s the last thing I would spend extra money on.

Yes oil has many great uses, many of which don’t involve lighting it on fire.

I give 0 shits about what car I drive as long as it gets me from point A to B.
this i can agree with. it took me years to figure it out but this is the way. i'm currently driving a 2017 cruze that had been totaled in the front but had the entire front clip replaced by the body shop that bought it from the owner so has a clean title, i.e. not a salvage title. paid cash for it and it gets me from point A to B; no lease/loan payment. while i do get 35+ mpg, i am a bit jealous of yore EV leaf.

if i could only talk the wife into the same frame of mind . . . as i plan to take her to the local dealer and order a new tahoe. :(

I give 0 shits about what car I drive as long as it gets me from point A to B. Before this I drove an Oldsmobile Alero with hand crank windows and a Suzuki SX4 with a ticking time bomb CVT under the hood. It’s the last thing I would spend extra money on.

Yes oil has many great uses, many of which don’t involve lighting it on fire.
Well of this irrelavant personally to me because I wont be driving anymore. My old eyes have made me retire from driving.

my network guy has a tesla and loves it. went for a drive with him the other day and that son of a bee will set you back in your seat and hold you. 0-60 in like 4 seconds. he indicated it's costing him about $58/month to charge it at home in comparison to spending approximately $200/mo on gas in his prior vehicle. he said he tries to keep it between 20% and 80% charge for optimum battery life.

it has a GPS on it that shows how much charge he'll have remaining after he gets to the location and shows charging stations along the route with the number of chargers available for use, which is pretty cool.

he said he took it to the beach a while back and factored in the time he would need to spend at charging stations. while waiting for it to charge, you can watch netflix or do other tasks on the large screen. he said he had to stop and charge for about 20 minutes on the way and about the same on the return trip.

i think it boils down to fear of change, although i get the infrastructure issue. i'd go buy a new EV silverado today if i could find one AND if they weren't >$100K; hell, i wasn't pleased with myself for paying $65K for the last one, no way i'm shelling out that much for a vehicle (unless I had that kind of FU money laying around, which I'd then likely buy a new corvette z06 that i could kill muhself in).

If all you do is drive around town, no long trips an EV is perfectly fine. Most of the country outside the very large cities - 1 million or more - for most people an EV is not practical with the present technology. People who live in the flyover states drive much longer distances. My boss has an 70 mile drive each way to get to work (1.5 hours with the traffic). He would be lucky to be able to make the round trip some days if there is a wreck. 30% of the people I work with are that distance of more from work. They like living in the country and do not mind the 1 to 2 hour drive each day. An EV would not be anything they could have. And for those who don't understand the center of our country, that is a large number of the people who live there.

If all you do is drive around town, no long trips an EV is perfectly fine. Most of the country outside the very large cities - 1 million or more - for most people an EV is not practical with the present technology. People who live in the flyover states drive much longer distances. My boss has an 70 mile drive each way to get to work (1.5 hours with the traffic). He would be lucky to be able to make the round trip some days if there is a wreck. 30% of the people I work with are that distance of more from work. They like living in the country and do not mind the 1 to 2 hour drive each day. An EV would not be anything they could have. And for those who don't understand the center of our country, that is a large number of the people who live there.
Your boss could pull some strings and get a charger put in your parking lot.

And 300+ mile ranges are getting more common now, which would leave him with 0 risk driving 140 miles a day.

I live in a state with fewer than 2 million people, in a county with fewer than 12000 population. I drive 10 mile to work. I'm thinking I'd be a prime candidate for an EV.

304951351_5727594507252857_299395672031195122_n-1-1-640x480.png

proves nothing...cars also can run out of gas.
Yes, cars run out of gas, and you call someone to bring more, or you walk to the closest station, or hope a courtesy vehicle comes by.
What are you going to do with an EV? Wait for someone to hand you the end of a ten mile long extension cord?

Yes, cars run out of gas, and you call someone to bring more, or you walk to the closest station, or hope a courtesy vehicle comes by.
What are you going to do with an EV? Wait for someone to hand you the end of a ten mile long extension cord?
Maybe do what a normal person would do for many other breakdowns....call a tow truck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT