ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN predicts Marshall to go 8-4 in 2021

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
ESPN's spring preview began today with CUSA East... If you aren't an ESPN insider and can't read the whole article it boils down to they think the division will finish.

1. Marshall 8-4
2. FAU 7-5
3. Western Kentucky 6-6
4. Charlotte 5-7
5. MTSU 5-7
6. ODU 5-7
7. FIU 5-7

The ESPN predictor model has our "likely wins" as NC Central, ODU, MTSU, FIU, Charlotte and WKU. The "tossups" as ECU, Navy, UAB, North Texas and FAU. The only "likely loss" is at Appalachian State.

Personally, I think they are giving way to much credit to the CUSA East bottom feeders. There's little to no chance the worst team in the division goes 5-7 or that four teams finish with that record. Also, I think there will be less parity than what the ESPN predictor indicates. My guess, MU wins the division at 9-3 and either ODU or FIU (or both) finish 3-9.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...e-usa-east-college-football-offseason-preview

FIU, unless dramatically improved, won't win five games. Four should be the ceiling. They have three OOC games that will likely be losses - Texas State, Texas Tech, and Central Michigan, with TSU being the only one they stand a chance at winning. They also play Long Island, like WVU is doing, and that may be the worst FCS team in the country. I'm assuming they're FCS now.

ESPN's spring preview began today with CUSA East... If you aren't an ESPN insider and can't read the whole article it boils down to they think the division will finish.

1. Marshall 8-4
2. FAU 7-5
3. Western Kentucky 6-6
4. Charlotte 5-7
5. MTSU 5-7
6. ODU 5-7
7. FIU 5-7

The ESPN predictor model has our "likely wins" as NC Central, ODU, MTSU, FIU, Charlotte and WKU. The "tossups" as ECU, Navy, UAB, North Texas and FAU. The only "likely loss" is at Appalachian State.

Personally, I think they are giving way to much credit to the CUSA East bottom feeders. There's little to no chance the worst team in the division goes 5-7 or that four teams finish with that record. Also, I think there will be less parity than what the ESPN predictor indicates. My guess, MU wins the division at 9-3 and either ODU or FIU (or both) finish 3-9.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...e-usa-east-college-football-offseason-preview
I'll take us at 9-3

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I’d say App, FAU and possibly ECU or UAB will be our potential losses.
I think we’ll be fine at Navy and don’t expect a brain fart game like Rice - as we have had in the past.

Reactions: ohio herd
Fair assessment. We have no idea what coach Huff can/can’t do yet. And with the epic failure the last few games of these season with the previous staff I’m not sure why anyone would expect much more.

If we get the progression to a sophomore season the guy who started our first 7 games at QB was headed into, I bet we outperform this estimate. If he goes the other way, and we don't have some last minute transfer from a P5, I bet we do worse.

Reactions: Marine03
Just wondering if the Vegas folks have come out yet with an early over/under line on how many times in 2021 the Herd under Coach Huff will punt from the opponent's 30 yard line? The 35? My take is there could be a LOT OF ACTION on such bets around these here parts this fall! :D

ADVERTISEMENT