ADVERTISEMENT

Even Thought I'm Not a Fan of Country Music, Sturgill Simpson Is Good

wisemaniac

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 4, 2007
Walden, check out a guy by the name of Sturgill Simpson. He's starting to get some national recognition. Pretty good songwriter (reminds me of Jerry Reed) and sounds like Waylon. I've got both his albums & they're pretty damn good.

I discovered him about a year and a half ago, he's REALLY good!! The guy is pure country. He does sound a lot like Waylon, but his writing and performing are more along the line of Merle or Lefty Frizell or even the Stanley brothers. He did a segment on Sirius Outlaw Country with Steve Earle a week or so ago, it was good.

He was in town recently. I didn't go check him out, but I heard him on one of the local live music programs. Louisville is blessed to have probably the greatest radio station of any town its size. Great variety, with just enough local music thrown in. They're also active as far as hosting events and outdoor concerts throughout the summer, and produce great live music programs.

Sturgill on WFPK

he was born in eastern kentucky and grew up there and just outside of lex.

Originally posted by imherdfan:

I discovered him about a year and a half ago, he's REALLY good!! The guy is pure country. He does sound a lot like Waylon, but his writing and performing are more along the line of Merle or Lefty Frizell or even the Stanley brothers. He did a segment on Sirius Outlaw Country with Steve Earle a week or so ago, it was good.
The sounding like Waylon thing doesn't bother me. It's not that close. To me, it's a lot like how Hank Jr. made millions by copying Jerry Lee Lewis' vocal style.

Originally posted by HRHF:
Originally posted by imherdfan:

The sounding like Waylon thing doesn't bother me. It's not that close. To me, it's a lot like how Hank Jr. made millions by copying Jerry Lee Lewis' vocal style.
Honestly, thats what pulled me in originally, then I as I listened to him more, the other influences started coming out.

Best of luck to him trying to make a go of it in this N'Sync age of country. For whatever reason, I no longer have much capacity or ability to enjoy anything unfamiliar. This was a lot better than the pop garbage though.

At least he didn't sound like he was faking a country accent. These new singers are really a bunch of yanks trying to act southern. It's just pitiful like that Buckwild bullshit was. Shipped in the actors from New York and tried to pass them off as rednecks. Lame as hell.

David "chico" prince intoduced me to Sturgill. He is country. I posted this earlier about him. I DIidnt know he was anyrhing big and then Pow he was on letterman. He is friends with Larry Cordle.Ya'all check out the steeldrivers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT