ADVERTISEMENT

Fan Accountability

herd4life5 (HN)

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
How should we address fans leaving early? We had, maybe, 15k in the stadium in the second half. Embarrassing. Thousands in the parking lot, not in the game.

Sure, sucks to lose that way. Also, sure, it sucks to play in front of no one. What a let down that must be. And when did our stadium seats become a couch? Our fans are worthless in the stands. It is not difficult to win at Marshall anymore. There’s zero excitement, only expectations. Most people could do the same, cheaper and more comfortably, by watching the game on TV.

How should we address fans leaving early? We had, maybe, 15k in the stadium in the second half. Embarrassing. Thousands in the parking lot, not in the game.

Sure, sucks to lose that way. Also, sure, it sucks to play in front of no one. What a let down that must be. And when did our stadium seats become a couch? Our fans are worthless in the stands. It is not difficult to win at Marshall anymore. There’s zero excitement, only expectations. Most people could do the same, cheaper and more comfortably, by watching the game on TV.
How should we address fans staying in the lots the whole game? We can't. I don't like it but can't do a darn thing about it.

There are ways to encourage fans to get into the game, including giving countdowns or something over loud speakers in the parking lots both before the game and at halftime. That’s a no brainier.

Simple fans encouraging others to come in would be helpful.

I’m sure there are ways to put a dent in this. Jehovah’s Witness style have you heard the good news, the games about to start surely would generate something

Reactions: BleedsGreen33

Pass out a "buy one hot dog, get one free coupon" to people leaving the stadium. Don't start passing the coupons out until there are all zeros on the clock. Coupon is only redeemable at the stadium, which will also encourage people to come to the next home game.

Pass out a "buy one hot dog, get one free coupon" to people leaving the stadium. Don't start passing the coupons out until there are all zeros on the clock. Coupon is only redeemable at the stadium, which will also encourage people to come to the next home game.
Reminds me of the movie Semi-Pro where the Russian center who doesn't speak English accidentally scores the 100th point in the game, entitling fans to a free corndog... "Damnit, Zicaidis, we don't even sell corndogs."

As has been said above, there is no remedy for fans leaving at halftime and not returning... If they would rather drink free Busch Lights next to their SUV with the game on radio, as opposed to watching the actual game, then so be it. Same thing for big money folks who buy season tickets in the chair backs and come to one game all season -- they paid their money, their lack of vested interest is no longer governable.

Whoa there… we’re having enough trouble with the hot dog inventory as it is.

We can’t start distributing wieners all willy-nilly.

Guys please watch the Jehovas Witness jokes. Our Special Teams Coach Emeritus and Quarterback Coach Emeritus is dating a Russian Jehova Witness and we have other cult members on here.

This isn't a locker room or the 1950s anymore. We all need to try to do better.

Mark Twain said: “Everybody wants to talk about the weather, but nobody is willing to do anything about it!”
If the AD cleared the lots and made everyone come in the stadium or leave, there would be so much whining and crying, it would flood 20th street. lol!

$2.00 Beers in the 3rd quarter and $1.00 Beers in the 4th quarter. 🍺
Honestly, this is an idea but you would have to get the beer sponsor/supplier on board and change the timing since beer isn't sold in the 4th quarter.

Could go with $4 beers during halftime and $2 in the third quarter.

Reactions: MUAlum2004
Attendance will increase when the team wins games and doesn't blow 17 point leads in 7 minutes and 30 seconds. Any attendance jump is still going to occur through us having a good team and having a good opponent. ECU was not thought of as a good team because they aren't. We haven't proven we are a good team. We also got minimal help from travelling ECU fans.

I do think we'd have had MUCH worse attendance if Doc was brought back, though. The last several years have done major damage to Marshall Football. We have a whole lot of building to do, and I don't mean recruiting players. We have to restore the brand.

Attendance will increase when the team wins games and doesn't blow 17 point leads in 7 minutes and 30 seconds. Any attendance jump is still going to occur through us having a good team and having a good opponent. ECU was not thought of as a good team because they aren't. We haven't proven we are a good team. We also got minimal help from travelling ECU fans.

I do think we'd have had MUCH worse attendance if Doc was brought back, though. The last several years have done major damage to Marshall Football. We have a whole lot of building to do, and I don't mean recruiting players. We have to restore the brand.

Funny thing about your first statement. It makes zero sense.
Marshall was 2-0, thus never having blown a lead before ECU.
The loss didn't happen until the literal last play of the 4th quarter.
You're saying the crowd will increase when MU doesn't blow 17 pt leads in the 4th quarter, using hindsight, when the post was discussing literally everything before that.

MU fans blame MU and Huff for losing a 17 pt lead deep in the 4th quarter as an excuse to justify why they didn't show up in the first place...or left early before it happend.

My only question is...are you still using a DeLorean or is it a newer vehicle?

I was in the green seats for the game and I was looking around and a lot of people just talking laughing and not evening paying attention to the game! There to socialize. I was so P.O! Ridiculous! Just stay home if your not there to cheer for Marshall !

I was in the green seats for the game and I was looking around and a lot of people just talking laughing and not evening paying attention to the game! There to socialize. I was so P.O! Ridiculous! Just stay home if your not there to cheer for Marshall !
Sadly, I used to get dirty looks when I would cheer from Sec. 110, Row 32. I'm saying to myself - its a flippin football game not a bridge club meeting. Most of the students don't care either - certainly more of a social event for them.

Funny thing about your first statement. It makes zero sense.
Marshall was 2-0, thus never having blown a lead before ECU.
The loss didn't happen until the literal last play of the 4th quarter.
You're saying the crowd will increase when MU doesn't blow 17 pt leads in the 4th quarter, using hindsight, when the post was discussing literally everything before that.

MU fans blame MU and Huff for losing a 17 pt lead deep in the 4th quarter as an excuse to justify why they didn't show up in the first place...or left early before it happend.

My only question is...are you still using a DeLorean or is it a newer vehicle?
You're missing my point...

Create entertainment value late in the game beyond the game itself. Whether that be giveaways of some kind, fireworks after the game or something along those lines, or other simpler ideas like a tradition of the fans singing a song to start the 4th quarter something that grows. Really anything to get fans who are on the fence to stay. Also, don't allow re-entry. Leave the stadium and you're gone. Widen the concourse so that people don't feel like they have to leave to get a drink or food and that they can do that quickly.

Create a sense of surprise in your customers. Do things unexpected during the 4th quarter so that your fans have a reason to stay. Mix that with tradition and you will see more fans stick around.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Just read the 47 comments to Chucks article about MU attendance.

Based on the comments, the reasons most dont attend are -

1. Ticket prices to high. Area is depressed and families can't afford it.
2. CUSA teams aren't an exciting draw
3. Lack of success - winning big games
4. Need more name opponents
5. Marshall alienated fans with the seating issue and other slights.

Just repeating what I read. Don't shoot the messenger.

They need to get over that seating arrangement thing. What was that, like 8 years ago?
Ticket prices too high, yet somehow when ticketsl revenue keeps MU afloat for things, the fans want more exciting stuff...they forget COSTS MONEY.
Given 2020 and what MU has been through and ECU, that's as good as you'll get this year.

Reactions: The Real SamC

Over the next 5 seasons we have exactly 1 "big name" opponent at home on the schedule... Virginia Tech in a couple years. Boise is the only other one on the list and they are tentatively scheduled for 2027, and who knows how either program will look by then.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I'll be honest, unless we just blow the doors off this thing in the next 2-3 years, I don't see us ever averaging over 25-26K again.

Reactions: Ninegate
I'll be honest, unless we just blow the doors off this thing in the next 2-3 years, I don't see us ever averaging over 25-26K again.
The only way to do it will be in years like 2023 when VT comes to Huntington... Sell out that game, hopefully have a good team that year, and average 24k at the other 5 home games (get to a 28k or so average).

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Whoa there… we’re having enough trouble with the hot dog inventory as it is.

We can’t start distributing wieners all willy-nilly.
We complain about only 24k attendance, yet we run out of hot dogs. I suppose virtually everyone else in CUSA has the opposite situation. Lots of available hot dogs, but few fans present to buy them. A whole lot of lonesome weenies in CUSA, but not us.

Last edited:
1. Ticket prices to high. Area is depressed and families can't afford it
Will always be the excuse. Fact is, most people claiming this probably never checked to see what a season ticket actually costs and dropped more $$$ over the last year on beer, cigarettes, and Big Macs. They would be more honest if they just admitted a football game on Saturday just isn't a priority.

We have one of the oldest fan bases in America. Sadly, it will stay that way until the stadium is 25% full because Marshall is terrible at reaching alumni under 40.

Reactions: HuntersvilleHerd
Will always be the excuse. Fact is, most people claiming this probably never checked to see what a season ticket actually costs and dropped more $$$ over the last year on beer, cigarettes, and Big Macs. They would be more honest if they just admitted a football game on Saturday just isn't a priority.
100% agree.
You mean to tell me you can save up, drive 6 hrs, and stay for a week in Myrtle Beach, with all the expenses that comes with but can't find money to save for 6 saturdays a year in an area less than 30 mins away?

Reactions: raleighherdfan
They need to get over that seating arrangement thing. What was that, like 8 years ago?
Ticket prices too high, yet somehow when ticketsl revenue keeps MU afloat for things, the fans want more exciting stuff...they forget COSTS MONEY.
Given 2020 and what MU has been through and ECU, that's as good as you'll get this year.
GHMY - I see you use the term “they” a lot. When MU screwed long, long term season ticket holders, it was almost a visceral reaction. Something like that sticks in your craw. You never forget it! It’s like your spouse cheating on you; you might take her back, but that trust relationship is forever weakened. Eventually, those fans will die off, but imo no ? it negatively impacted that group, which led to bitter feelings about the new fans who took over the old fans cherished seats.
Dismiss me if you will, but it is a real thing….8 years might as well be 8 hours to them. As to your other complaints: Get over yourself. You can’t change the minds or spending habits of lifelong Huntingtonians. Period.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
GHMY - I see you use the term “they” a lot. When MU screwed long, long term season ticket holders, it was almost a visceral reaction. Something like that sticks in your craw. You never forget it! It’s like your spouse cheating on you; you might take her back, but that trust relationship is forever weakened. Eventually, those fans will die off, but imo no ? it negatively impacted that group, which led to bitter feelings about the new fans who took over the old fans cherished seats.
Dismiss me if you will, but it is a real thing….8 years might as well be 8 hours to them. As to your other complaints: Get over yourself. You can’t change the minds or spending habits of lifelong Huntingtonians. Period.

It's called making money. MU does it, wvu does it, osu, Michigan, USC, etc. All of their purpose in this world is to make money. Hamrick did what anyone who's making money for the program would do and is doing.

Did I agree with it? No. Unlike you and others, I did see what they were doing and if it meant hurt feelings from (what can now be seen) a weak minded group, so be it. The fans will put anything in front of going to a game, demamd MU be the best is can be, then get mad when finances are short and the program makes changes.
No, I can't change their spending habits, but don't be shocked or mad when MU changes theirs.

Now, you can be dismissed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT