ADVERTISEMENT

Final 3

MU may have to boost the HC salary to get either Huff or Ledford.
Per Grant this morning Huff made $800k in 2020 and will get $825 in 2021. Ledford made $750k in Louisville

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
I think most of this board is rooting for Huff... Nothing against the other two finalists, but he would be my pick as well. I would think we will know the answer by Monday.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Come on guys, show some sensitivity here - I applied for the job through Indeed and never got a call. NGL it hurts a little bit.
That's weird. I too applied on Indeed, but I simply did so by attaching a link to rifle's facebook page. I got an immediate reply, requesting names and cell phone numbers to all the hot babes that follow his facebook page. No word though if they're moving forward with a formal interview.

..........proving the adage you can't please some of the people all of the time....

well, I mean we all have our preference based on our limited information. did you think the entire fan base would be in total agreement?

I wonder why Sarkasian didn't take Huff to TX as he did two other assistants and he could get more money at TX.

Meanwhile, during heavy staff turn over at Bama Saban doesn't promote Huff to coordinator but gives recommendation to us for HC.

One thing is for certain Saban didn't want Huff to even be his OC at Bama and Sarkasian didn't even want Huff to be his OC at TX or a position coach. But, I'm sure he'll be fine here running the entire show.

well, I mean we all have our preference based on our limited information. did you think the entire fan base would be in total agreement?

I wonder why Sarkasian didn't take Huff to TX as he did two other assistants and he could get more money at TX.

Meanwhile, during heavy staff turn over at Bama Saban doesn't promote Huff to coordinator but gives recommendation to us for HC.

One thing is for certain Saban didn't want Huff to even be his OC at Bama and Sarkasian didn't even want Huff to be his OC at TX or a position coach. But, I'm sure he'll be fine here running the entire show.
Good point

Reactions: Elkview

I don't think you realize that being the OC for Saban is probably a better gig than several NFL OC jobs. If you're Saban's OC you are going to be a head coach at the P5 level within a couple of years if you want to be.

So the fact that Saban doesn't promote him is probably because he's planning to hire Bill O'brian as his OC, or another big name. This will be the 3rd "reclamation" project for Saban at OC. He did it with Kiffin, Sark, and now possibly O'brian.

If I'm Saban, no matter how good I think Huff is going to be I am going with the big name reclamation project because it is proven and he can do it. By the way, you could make the argument that being Alabama's OC is a more pressure packed position than Marshall's Head Coach.

Reactions: HerdFan73
oh I get it.

none of that changes the fact that based on resume Huff is Doc 2.0 only younger. if we hire him, I hope he proves that he isn't Doc 2.0 as a HC.

Reactions: mlblack16.
I'm just saying given our current options, he's probably the most promising.

He may be a home run or a strike out. I think it's about the same gamble we took on Doc. I'm not thrilled with our list but certainly prefer Ledford or BL.

I understand the desire to have a Head coach who has been a coordinator but many of the top coaches in college football were Head Coaches before they were ever coordinators. Don't let one bad experience change your view of a pretty common practice in college football.

Reactions: Elkview and ru4_mu2
The more I read and hear, seems to me Ledford brings more than Huff. The fact that App extended their job to him really brings cred in my book.
Not sure if Huff is ready to be an HC

Reactions: 19MU88
..........proving the adage you can't please some of the people all of the time....I believe Sam is organizing a football enders 2030 club.......

jesus christ. can we not express our opinions? I won't bitch and moan after the hire no matter who it is. I'll support and hope for the best.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
I don't think you realize that being the OC for Saban is probably a better gig than several NFL OC jobs. If you're Saban's OC you are going to be a head coach at the P5 level within a couple of years if you want to be.

So the fact that Saban doesn't promote him is probably because he's planning to hire Bill O'brian as his OC, or another big name. This will be the 3rd "reclamation" project for Saban at OC. He did it with Kiffin, Sark, and now possibly O'brian.

If I'm Saban, no matter how good I think Huff is going to be I am going with the big name reclamation project because it is proven and he can do it. By the way, you could make the argument that being Alabama's OC is a more pressure packed position than Marshall's Head Coach.

your comments made me curious about what our fellow CUSA members have done since that is our peer group. looks like a mix of former HC and coordinators and some position coaches. Looks like the majority of hires have had greater responsibilities than position coach. success varies.

FAU - Kiffen - former NFL HC, P5 HC, P5 coordinator. Had success.
FAU - Partridge - position coach and co-coordinator.. failure

FIU - Davis - former NFL HC, P5 HC. success
FIU - Turner - P5 HC, G5 HC, NFL coordinator. failure.

WKU - Taggart - position coach. success but only there one year.
- Petrino - former NFL, P5 HC - success
- Brohom - former coordinator - success

ODU - Wilder - position coach. not much success.

MTSU - Stockstill - position coach and recruiting coordinator. mild success. stagnant.

No Texas - Littrell - former OC. - success

Rice - Bailiff former HC and coordinator - success.
- Bloomgren - former assistant in P5 and NFL. failure.

UTSA - Coker - former P5 HC - success
- Wilson - RB coach and recruiting coordinator - failure
- Traylor - position coach and recruiter. good first year.

UTEP - Kugler - NFL and college assistant coach. failure
- Price - fromer FCS HC, P5 HC, P5 coordinator. mixed success and failure.

So Miss - Hopson - FCS HC. mixed success.
- Monken - former coordinator. failure.

UAB - Clark - former HC, former coordinator. success.

Charlotte - Lambert - former P5 coordinator
- Healy - former HC at lower level.

I wasn't looking at C-USA coaches. I was referring to guys like: Saban, Dabo, Urban Meyer, Pat Fitzgerald, PJ Fleck, Ed Oregeron, etc.

Obviously those guys had varying levels of success in their first job. But your statement that Huff's resume is too similar to Doc's (because he has never had a coordinator position) is not fair. Maybe, he will be great and maybe he won't. My only point is that just because someone has never been a coordinator doesn't mean they won't turn out to be a great coach.

Also I'll say this: I hope we don't take the route of most C-USA schools in just about anything we do.

your comments made me curious about what our fellow CUSA members have done since that is our peer group. looks like a mix of former HC and coordinators and some position coaches. Looks like the majority of hires have had greater responsibilities than position coach. success varies.

FAU - Kiffen - former NFL HC, P5 HC, P5 coordinator. Had success.
FAU - Partridge - position coach and co-coordinator.. failure

FIU - Davis - former NFL HC, P5 HC. success
FIU - Turner - P5 HC, G5 HC, NFL coordinator. failure.

WKU - Taggart - position coach. success but only there one year.
- Petrino - former NFL, P5 HC - success
- Brohom - former coordinator - success

ODU - Wilder - position coach. not much success.

MTSU - Stockstill - position coach and recruiting coordinator. mild success. stagnant.

No Texas - Littrell - former OC. - success

Rice - Bailiff former HC and coordinator - success.
- Bloomgren - former assistant in P5 and NFL. failure.

UTSA - Coker - former P5 HC - success
- Wilson - RB coach and recruiting coordinator - failure
- Traylor - position coach and recruiter. good first year.

UTEP - Kugler - NFL and college assistant coach. failure
- Price - fromer FCS HC, P5 HC, P5 coordinator. mixed success and failure.

So Miss - Hopson - FCS HC. mixed success.
- Monken - former coordinator. failure.

UAB - Clark - former HC, former coordinator. success.

Charlotte - Lambert - former P5 coordinator
- Healy - former HC at lower level.

Couple things. I mostly agree with you list. I'm curious as to why you had Hopson as mixed success after the way his tenure ended.

Also you have Coker as a success, but you don't give a grade for Lambert? Both took over startup programs. One coach managed two winning seasons (at the FBS level 8-4, 7-5) peaking at t-2nd in the west and the other never finished .500 or better.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but do you have some connection with Lambert because you seem to protect him a lot and are hesitant to give him the burden of those losing seasons.

I wasn't looking at C-USA coaches. I was referring to guys like: Saban, Dabo, Urban Meyer, Pat Fitzgerald, PJ Fleck, Ed Oregeron, etc.

Obviously those guys had varying levels of success in their first job. But your statement that Huff's resume is too similar to Doc's (because he has never had a coordinator position) is not fair. Maybe, he will be great and maybe he won't. My only point is that just because someone has never been a coordinator doesn't mean they won't turn out to be a great coach.

Also I'll say this: I hope we don't take the route of most C-USA schools in just about anything we do.
Actually Huff has been a coordinator.

As coach:

Maybe Saban and Sark knew Huff was looking for a HC job.

I agree. He may be great HC we don't know based on his resume. As far as fair? numerous professionals in coaching and in all careers are turned down for jobs due to lack of experience for the position. I feel like this is a pretty significant hire at a very significant time for our program so I guess it depends on your thinking do you want to roll the dice or not? or do you have other insight beyond the experience on the resume that makes you feel more certain of his success.

He may be great, but he's a risk for sure, but with risks can come big payoffs or big losses.

As coach:

I think most of us are meaning either side of the ball. But yes, he has been special teams coordinator.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
oh I get it.

none of that changes the fact that based on resume Huff is Doc 2.0 only younger. if we hire him, I hope he proves that he isn't Doc 2.0 as a HC.
Just watch him in practice encouraging and motivating his players. Does that resemble Doc? Watch and listen to his press conference. Does that resemble Doc?
I'd hardly consider them the same.

As coach:

He doesn’t let any grass grow under his feet. 9 programs in 14 years.

That’s doesn’t scream longevity to me.

Some of you guys would rather have Jim Harbaugh over John Harbaugh... "Coordinator experience! Previous head coach!"

Huff's resume is as good or better than the other two finalists and he was just part of the program that won the national championship.

Any of the three could be a winner, and any could be an absolute trainwreck. All you can do is pick the best candidate among your options and hope they are ready.

He doesn’t let any grass grow under his feet. 9 programs in 14 years.

That’s doesn’t scream longevity to me.

In the world of coaching, it screams ambition and working his way up the chain. Now then, if he was being let go from all of those positions, I'd be concerned.

Reactions: Elkview and ru4_mu2
In the world of coaching, it screams ambition and working his way up the chain. Now then, if he was being let go from all of those positions, I'd be concerned.

You're right and that sucks for MU.
If Huff is as driven as he can be, he'll be the first on every open job after the 2021 season concludes.

How many games would Huff need to win to gain interest from a program he could jump to next?

I doubt its as many as people may want to think and if true, MU will be stuck once more with no HC and no CUSA title.

If Huff is as driven as he can be, he'll be the first on every open job after the 2021 season concludes.

How many games would Huff need to win to gain interest from a program he could jump to next?

I doubt its as many as people may want to think and if true, MU will be stuck once more with no HC and no CUSA title.

It doesn’t suck for us. We need to bring in coaches that have ambition. We are not a destination right now. And maybe one day we will be. But right now we need an ambitious coach. If schools are taking your head coach, it’s usually because you are winning.

I agree. He may be great HC we don't know based on his resume. As far as fair? numerous professionals in coaching and in all careers are turned down for jobs due to lack of experience for the position. I feel like this is a pretty significant hire at a very significant time for our program so I guess it depends on your thinking do you want to roll the dice or not? or do you have other insight beyond the experience on the resume that makes you feel more certain of his success.

He may be great, but he's a risk for sure, but with risks can come big payoffs or big losses.

All I am saying is it’s not a roll of the dice. Look at many of the top coaches, they had similar starts. All I’m saying is it’s common for guys to be a head coach before they are a coordinator. It seems to have worked out for a lot of them. It hasn’t worked out for others.It’s not a roll of the dice anymore than rolling the dice on a previously failed head coach.

You're right, we should've let poor ol' Holliday stay as our HC up until his 70's. No matter how many times he fell flat on his face.

Go hug Aaron and Stowers. They could use it right about now.

I'm not sure about Huff. If the Alabama OC leaves and doesnt take Huff and the head coach picks someone else over Huff to take the vacant OC job, it sounds like they have more confidence in someone other than Huff to get the job done. Being a great recruiter doesnt mean you are a great coach. Sounds a bit like Doc Holliday 2.0

Its one thing being able to get 5 and 4 star recruits to Alabama or Penn State. That is not going to happen at Marshall. Marshall needs a coach that can spot the 3 star or 2 star talent, understand their potential and be able to coach those players up. Jim Donnan or Bob Pruett 2.0

If it is Huff, I will support him 100% and hope he can take the program to the next level

I'm not sure about Huff. If the Alabama OC leaves and doesnt take Huff and the head coach picks someone else over Huff to take the vacant OC job, it sounds like they have more confidence in someone other than Huff to get the job done. Being a great recruiter doesnt mean you are a great coach. Sounds a bit like Doc Holliday 2.0

Its one thing being able to get 5 and 4 star recruits to Alabama or Penn State. That is not going to happen at Marshall. Marshall needs a coach that can spot the 3 star or 2 star talent, understand their potential and be able to coach those players up. Jim Donnan or Bob Pruett 2.0

If it is Huff, I will support him 100% and hope he can take the program to the next level
This. We need a coach. We can get kids in the program, we know that. Doc just couldn’t take what he had and make them better.

ADVERTISEMENT