ADVERTISEMENT

FIRE BILL LEGG

That was the first time I've heard a crowd chant at a particular coach. Of course we did run an inside dive on 3rd and 11.

I mean, I agree it was a bit extreme. But what the hell else can people do?

After the debacle last season fans made it clear a season like that was unacceptable and expected better. And the only thing we got were essays on how bad we want to win and how we were going to get back to work.

The protection of Legg reminds me of the first episode of the Andy Griffith Show. Opie only keeps Aunt Bee because he's afraid she can't make it somewhere else.

Reactions: Herd Fever
I don't think chanting fire bill legg was classless. Our AD needs to hear how displeased the fans are. The fans are the ones paying the bills and providing the scholarships for the players. When the ticket sales and donations begin to decline maybe he will take action. This high school offensive play calling must come to an end. Holiday and Hamrick covered it up before the season. If they can't take action I guess the fans will. It started last night by chanting fire bill legg. Time to man up!

What else are fans supposed to do?
Media members won’t address it
AD is too arrogant and nutless to address it
Radio shows would never let you on to ask a question about it
Staff on this site sticks their head in the sand
Doc needed to hear it and so does Hamrick, and they did. Now we will see just how serious they both are about moving this program forward.

I was not at the game so I going off what I've read in this thread. I been going to live sporting events for over 45 years, Pro, Collegiate, HS you name it, but I've never heard a crowd in person chant to have a coach fired. Marshall has the reputation of begin some of the most cordial fans in college sports, so that should be a huge eye opener as to how frustrated this fan base is.

Reactions: cottrell75
I was not at the game so I going off what I've read in this thread. I been going to live sporting events for over 45 years, Pro, Collegiate, HS you name it, but I've never heard a crowd in person chant to have a coach fired. Marshall has the reputation of begin some of the most cordial fans in college sports, so that should be a huge eye opener as to how frustrated this fan base is.

I’ll name a few just in Htgn.

Jule Rivlin
Bob Daniels
Bob Zuffelato
Charlie Snyder
Perry Moss
Frank Elwood

The average fan doesn't know assistant coaches' names. However, Bill Legg seems to have become a household name.
I wonder how that happened?

IMO the chant just represents no class. What can you do? Call the AD Office, take your fight to Social Media. There are many more ways to show your frustration than as a mob. Then again, it's in line with society today. You can call for the firing of anyone you like and this year still comes down to the players and execution. In the 4 Conference games we lost we were -10 in Turnover Margin leading to -36 points (either direct score or the ensuing drive resulted in points). Our average losing margin (over those 4 games) was -4.5 points and the points off of our Turnovers was -9. We averaged -2.5 Turnovers per loss reducing our chances of winning by 37.5% per game. Sorry, you can't execute like that against decent teams.

this year still comes down to the players and execution. In the 4 Conference games we lost we were -10 in Turnover Margin leading to -36 points (either direct score or the ensuing drive resulted in points). Our average losing margin (over those 4 games) was -4.5 points and the points off of our Turnovers was -9. We averaged -2.5 Turnovers per loss reducing our chances of winning by 37.5% per game. Sorry, you can't execute like that against decent teams.

I'm confused, are you implying the coaching staff shouldn't be held responsible for the poor performance of the players?

From another sire but still topic related. This has gone on ling enough. This was Catos freshman year and he masked quite a bit while he was here. Before and definitely after him has been terrible.

Quote from: kjh on October 09, 2011, 09:56:42 PM
Since you all who want Legg replaced are experts, why don't you enter his office and express your feelings to him. Gutless fans like you turn to social media rather than other avenues of expression. C'mon, it was raining cats and dogs. Playing close to the vest was dictated by the weather conditions. Be supportive or go home experts. You expect a big time program, yet act like a small time loser.

Last edited:
I'm confused, are you implying the coaching staff shouldn't be held responsible for the poor performance of the players?
Tell me how a coach stops a kid from fumbling? Throwing an interception? Now, you could bench the player (after the fact); however, if you think they represent your best chance to win, you can only coach him up, see the progress in practice, and hope he executes in game. When asked what concerned him most going into the Iron Bowl this year Nick Saban said: "I'm most concerned about our players remaining focused and executing." Once a player (of any sport) enters the field of play, it's up to them to perform how they were coached. The fumble, interception, a missed block, or blown coverage is on them (the player).

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Tell me how a coach stops a kid from fumbling? Throwing an interception? Now, you could bench the player (after the fact); however, if you think they represent your best chance to win, you can only coach him up, see the progress in practice, and hope he executes in game. When asked what concerned him most going into the Iron Bowl this year Nick Saban said: "I'm most concerned about our players remaining focused and executing." Once a player (of any sport) enters the field of play, it's up to them to perform how they were coached. The fumble, interception, a missed block, or blown coverage is on them (the player).

No but he can not call a run up the middle on 3rd and long.

Unreal....

Unreal....
Well...this ain't X Box! We lost games under Coach Pruett due to turnovers AND I remember the same argument about coaching being responsible for in-game turnovers then. Look, fire everyone! If that's what you want I say go for it!

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Well...this ain't X Box! We lost games under Coach Pruett due to turnovers AND I remember the same argument about coaching being responsible for in-game turnovers then. Look, fire everyone! If that's what you want I say go for it!

Aaron Perkins, is that you? Go stick your head in the sand. We are talking reality here.

X Box? Our coaches couldn’t figure out Atari playbook

Last edited:
Reactions: cottrell75
Well the chant was something new. I think the fans are somewhat in the right direction by expressing their dislike for Legg, but going to the AD directly would be the best option. 2+2 =5 in WV but its a step better than 7, which is what it was 10 years ago.

In either case, I can't be too mad, nobody expected us to win 4 games this season.

Name a coach that has saved his job with this excuse. One game or a few over a long period is going to happen. But, .590 winning percentage, one conf championship in 8 seasons, 3 losing seasons, and two total collapses in the last two season is not exactly stellar.

And by the way using Doc and Saban in the same reference is ludicrous.

I would add Doc didn't inherit a fine tuned engine that Pruett got and Pruett did adjust much better and faster than Doc, which is very rare.
Doc had to put his kind of players in first before he could win and in year 2 he actually won. Which isn't easy to do.

One can also speculate how Pruett would have done for 2 more years when the NCAA sanctions set in. He left before they came and really affected us.
Its easy to say Pruett was better because he got a very good team already, never had to re-build, and was in the MAC. Doc had to completely overhaul the team he got.

I would add Doc didn't inherit a fine tuned engine that Pruett got and Pruett did adjust much better and faster than Doc, which is very rare.
Doc had to put his kind of players in first before he could win and in year 2 he actually won. Which isn't easy to do.

One can also speculate how Pruett would have done for 2 more years when the NCAA sanctions set in. He left before they came and really affected us.
Its easy to say Pruett was better because he got a very good team already, never had to re-build, and was in the MAC. Doc had to completely overhaul the team he got.

Bullshit, Doc inherited a bowl team with 5 NFL players on it.

Pruett could take less talent and beat Doc 90% of the time. It is not even close.

I think of one huge difference between Doc and Pruett.

Doc stepped down in competition (with the rewash C-USA 2.0) and coincidentally started winning, albeit even that was only for a brief period of 3 years, until the conference starting to improve ever so slightly.

Pruett, on the other hand, stepped up not only in conference, but from Div I-AA to Div-IA and kept on winning, even as the MAC started to improve with Toledo, BGSU, Miami, and Western Michigan all having seasons ranked in the top 25.

Big difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT