ADVERTISEMENT

First practice today

Another great practice. Not being on the floor for 3 weeks was tough on us regulars who are there everyday.
Stevie Browning was there practicing with them as well.

Every one looks terrific.

Beyers was there but on the sidelines in street clothes. He was late in starting his summer JUCO classes and won't be finished in time to go to Nassau. He has one more 2 week class to take.
He will be working out with the team but can't be in organized practice with a coach since he isn't enrolled and can't be until he graduates from JUCO

Reactions: herdinatl
Another great practice. Not being on the floor for 3 weeks was tough on us regulars who are there everyday.

Beyers was there but on the sidelines in street clothes. He was late in starting his summer JUCO classes and won't be finished in time to go to Nassau. He has one more 2 week class to take.
He will be working out with the team but can't be in organized practice with a coach since he isn't enrolled and can't be until he graduates from JUCO
meister how did Bennett look today? specifically how is the shoulder and how is he moving?

meister how did Bennett look today? specifically how is the shoulder and how is he moving?
He looked as good as ever. No pain or noticeable problems. He had told me about 10 days ago he had gained 5 pounds due to inactivity but we saw no evidence of that today.
What is expected to be the first team worked together extensively today. Jon, CJ, Jannson, West and Iran.

Danny, as you know, likes to only play 7-8 guys. He said today it will be tough to limit the count to 10 players with all the skills we have.

thanks meister.. great info... I know he has been good sticking to his diet plan. now just needs to hit the exercise hard

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

I thought practice was at 2:30 today and missed it. Do you know when is the next practice?

I thought practice was at 2:30 today and missed it. Do you know when is the next practice?
All remaining practices are at 10am, including today (Tuesday).The lone exception is Sunday Aug 5 at noon.
After today next week is Monday and Tuesday in the Cam. Off day Wed and then Thurs and Friday in the Rec. All practices after next Tues will be in the Rec

'Meister has done a nice job of summing things up. Sustic is improving and will contribute. Bennett is in reasonable shape after his shoulder injury; get him down to about 320 -- he WILL get there -- and he will be awesome. Jannson is the quiet comer.

Even the walk-on talent is improved. The kid from St. Joe had a great move around the basket off an alley oop.

Mike will be there today. He likes Taveon -- these two kids from Ohio are really athletic.

'Meister has done a nice job of summing things up. Sustic is improving and will contribute. Bennett is in reasonable shape after his shoulder injury; get him down to about 320 -- he WILL get there -- and he will be awesome. Jannson is the quiet comer.

Even the walk-on talent is improved. The kid from St. Joe had a great move around the basket off an alley oop.

Mike will be there today. He likes Taveon -- these two kids from Ohio are really athletic.
how does the WV freshman kid look so far?

I can see the possibility of a "Fab 5" type of pattern substitution where Danny just changes out the "line" (a Hockey term I believe) for 3-5 mins. Gives the starters a break & a very different look for the opponents....

how does the WV freshman kid look so far?
He is looking good. I spent some time talking to him today. He has transformed his body since coming in June. Like I told him, he looked like a tight end when he arrived. With time in the weight room working with Duval he's starting to look like a basketball player now.
He will NOT be a wow 'em type player. Very much controlled and heady player. We will leave "showtime" to Kinsey.

He is looking good. I spent some time talking to him today. He has transformed his body since coming in June. Like I told him, he looked like a tight end when he arrived. With time in the weight room working with Duval he's starting to look like a basketball player now.
He will NOT be a wow 'em type player. Very much controlled and heady player. We will leave "showtime" to Kinsey.

Not being a smart ass but how can Dillon make such changes to his physique in such a short time at Marshall (a few months) but Peneva couldn't in a year or so? Or at the least get the desired result?

Not being a smart ass but how can Dillon make such changes to his physique in such a short time at Marshall (a few months) but Peneva couldn't in a year or so? Or at the least get the desired result?
Ajdin ate like a horse, I know I've eaten with him, but could NOT gain a pound. Actually Dillon has lost weight and weight training has toned him up

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
As for Tuesday's practice, Jeremy is coming along well. I told him that, when he starts down the road, he must be introduced as being from Delbarton, W. Va. -- NOT Mingo Central...Ha! I remember the Delbarton Boxing Club at the old Golden Gloves.

These two Ohio kids are real gems. I still don't understand how UC, X, Dayton and OSU didn't snap them up. Taveon has 35-inch arms -- I pulled out the tape and teased him that he doesn't quiet measure up to Mike D', who sported 37-inch sleeves.

Yesterday, I told Mike what a joy it was having someone from the family back. Kathy is even back in the kitchen out in Barboursville! All the tragic comedy of errors: Firing Ellis, the ineptness of Stewart Way, McMullen not giving Tacy the $4,000 raise he asked for, Aberdeen dying, Nitschke firing Huck, Moon and Marcum shunning him, etc., etc, etc.

This time, it looks like we finally got it right with Danny. I can tell you it has unexpectedly brought a lot of joy to two old men -- myself and Henry Hammond -- during the Autumn years of our life.

Sustic and Iran are working hard -- sweat rolling off of everyone. I'll tell you who had a good practice: Christian Theinemen. Best I've ever seen him play!

We are going to have so much depth. Danny's kids love one another and the veterans are all taking the youngsters under their wings. So great to see, vis-a-vis Herrion's misfits.

Jansonn and CJ have a bug, but should be fine when practice resumes at 10 a.m. next Monday.

As for Tuesday's practice, Jeremy is coming along well. I told him that, when he starts down the road, he must be introduced as being from Delbarton, W. Va. -- NOT Mingo Central...Ha! I remember the Delbarton Boxing Club at the old Golden Gloves.

These two Ohio kids are real gems. I still don't understand how UC, X, Dayton and OSU didn't snap them up. Taveon has 35-inch arms -- I pulled out the tape and teased him that he doesn't quiet measure up to Mike D', who sported 37-inch sleeves.

Yesterday, I told Mike what a joy it was having someone from the family back. Kathy is even back in the kitchen out in Barboursville! All the tragic comedy of errors: Firing Ellis, the ineptness of Stewart Way, McMullen not giving Tacy the $4,000 raise he asked for, Aberdeen dying, Nitschke firing Huck, Moon and Marcum shunning him, etc., etc, etc.

This time, it looks like we finally got it right with Danny. I can tell you it has unexpectedly brought a lot of joy to two old men -- myself and Henry Hammond -- during the Autumn years of our life.

Sustic and Iran are working hard -- sweat rolling off of everyone. I'll tell you who had a good practice: Christian Theinemen. Best I've ever seen him play!

We are going to have so much depth. Danny's kids love one another and the veterans are all taking the youngsters under their wings. So great to see, vis-a-vis Herrion's misfits.

Jansonn and CJ have a bug, but should be fine when practice resumes at 10 a.m. next Monday.

Thank you, @Tim Hensley!

@ Tim Hensley - thanks for that post! I may not be as old as you, but have lived through all of the mistakes, half-truths & unfortunate events you referred to. It’s hard to describe to younger fans just how unique this season “could” be! The word that keeps coming to mind is Magic. I know, I know - can’t get ahead of the season playing out, but we are entering rare air here people!!
Dan is the Man. Also entire coaching staff is quality thru & thru. If anybody can keep the kids grounded, it’s the Maestro from Mullins!
Go Herd!!

nice to see excitement!!!!

I've been to a few practices as well and have to admit that this is one of the more athletic squads I've seen at MU in a while. The players appear to be coachable and most of them have a pretty good stroke from outside. Surprisingly, Bennett has a very soft shot for a big guy. Do not be surprised by anything you see form Beyers. Just my observations.

I've been to a few practices as well and have to admit that this is one of the more athletic squads I've seen at MU in a while. The players appear to be coachable and most of them have a pretty good stroke from outside. Surprisingly, Bennett has a very soft shot for a big guy. Do not be surprised by anything you see form Beyers. Just my observations.
From his workout a couple months ago, Danny thinks Beyers is the best shooter on the team. He says it will be tough to keep him out of the starting 5. Once he gets on the floor with the coaching staff I guess we will know more.

From his workout a couple months ago, Danny thinks Beyers is the best shooter on the team. He says it will be tough to keep him out of the starting 5. Once he gets on the floor with the coaching staff I guess we will know more.
The last practice I was at, after all was over and the court was clear, I was talking with Dave Walsh and Byers picked up a ball and walked out just a few feet on the court, let one fly and ... SWISH! This is one big that can score.

MU can have a front line of three 6'10" guys at one time if needed. No one can say the win over WSU didn't help. This could be a very good season.

The last practice I was at, after all was over and the court was clear, I was talking with Dave Walsh and Byers picked up a ball and walked out just a few feet on the court, let one fly and ... SWISH! This is one big that can score.

MU can have a front line of three 6'10" guys at one time if needed. No one can say the win over WSU didn't help. This could be a very good season.
At his workout a couple months ago, I saw him make 16 of 17 shots from behind the arc. He can flat out stroke it!

Tim I boxed once for the delbarton boxing club at a Boxing tournament. Didn't know dad and tommy diamond a coach at Delbarton had penciled me in. If I didn't box they lost a certain amount of points because each team has to represent Each weight class. So I boxed. Had a 3 hr basketball practice at old Blaine High School that day.. Tim mentioned Delbarton and my mind started raising.

Tim Hensley, you should come up for the Maryland game. It would be good to see you again.

Hey Tiny Tim (Hensley).
.......folks like us told the non-believers 4 years ago...Dandy Dan was the correct selection to get HERD Hoops going in the right direction. Now they are all over him with roses & wine & cheese-----sucking up. I guess some of them are really from Missouri.

C U at the HERD---NC State game in Sept.

HerdZilla22 (Gary Sweeney) in Charlotte

Reactions: Elkview
I am coming to the Maryland game. Also going to Charlottesville for UVa. I can ride the train to both games for free.

Also planning to drive down to Eastern (only two hours).

Also will attend several conference road games.

Boys, it will be just like when we were back in school following Mike, Russell and randy!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Sisters, didn't Cary Lee Hatfield box for Delbarton? If he connected, he would knock you dong stiff !!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT