ADVERTISEMENT

Five Things - MTSU

Josh Stowers

Staff Writer
Jan 19, 2007
1. Entering the 2017 season, there were plenty of concerns regarding Marshall’s rush defense. Friday night, Marshall took a major step in continuing to silence those doubters. Marshall held MTSU to 53 yards on 31 carries (1.7 yards/rush). I can’t emphasize how much pressure that puts on opposing offenses considering how athletic we can be on 3rd downs.

2. Kaare. Freaking. Vedvik. Marshall’s senior punter flipped the field all night long averaging 48 yards/punt (three were 50+). He also pinned three kicks inside the 20 yard line. I predicted at the beginning of the year that Vedvik would lead C-USA in punting and he’s making me look more and more like Nostradamus.

3. Marshall’s Defense/Special Teams have been a fantasy owner’s dream this season. With Artis Johnson’s “pick-six,” Marshall has now scored five (Keion Davis 2x, Chris Jackson 2x, and Johnson) non-offensive touchdowns in seven games. I was unable to find the single-season record for most non-offensive TD’s, but I’d be willing to bet that Marshall is on pace to rival that number or surpass it.

4. T. K. Ohhhhhhh. I’m not a huge boxing fan, but Tyler King technically scored more points than MTSU’s entire team. A lot of people discounted King’s previous 100-yard performance against Kent State, but Friday night he announced his arrival.....LOUDLY. Following his 22-yard gain that included a #SCTop10 hurdle, Herd Nation could only smile at the red-shirt freshman’s performance. King finished with 129 yards and two TD’s. Keep in mind, this guy has three more years.

5. Growth. No, I’m not talking about the size of my Herd-On following Friday’s game. I’m talking about this team’s growth. I don’t know that there’s an aspect (life and/or football) you could look at, that this team hasn’t made exponential strides in. I would like to single out Chase Litton. Two years ago, yes I said two years, I wasn’t his biggest fan. The guy has seen his fair share of adversity and through that, he’s won me over. I don’t think I could’ve said the following during the last couple of years, but kudos to OUR quarterback.

Yes, Marshall's rush defense is really good. I think they will shut down FIU's run. No problem!!
The big test will be against FAU.
If we can stop there rushing attack, I'd say we're really really good!!!

Reactions: pdbailey
I kept saying all last year that this is not going to be a trend. That 2016 was just not a good year. In every aspect of the damn game, we lacked.
However, in just an offseason, we've made a complete 180.

I was laughed nearly off this board because I said Legg would improve the offense as would Doc improve the team and Chase improve himself.

So far so good...

3. With Artis Johnson’s “pick-six,” Marshall has now scored five (Keion Davis 2x, Chris Jackson 2x, and Johnson) non-offensive touchdowns in seven games. I was unable to find the single-season record for most non-offensive TD’s, but I’d be willing to bet that Marshall is on pace to rival that number or surpass it.

Alabama had a ridiculous amount last year, 15 I believe per this article.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...son-touchdown-alabama-peach-bowl-playoff-2016

"Anderson’s score was the Tide’s 15th non-offensive touchdown of the year. They’ve also gotten four on special teams, further simplifying life for Lane Kiffin’s offense. Of Alabama’s defensive touchdowns, six have come on interception returns, and five have come off opposing fumbles."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT