ADVERTISEMENT

Football schedule released

We get a program we have always hated (Little Miami) and one we are now hating (WKU) at home, plus a friendly rivalry that we like in Southern Miss. That's a pretty decent home lineup.

agree

i'm fine having Cryami on the schedule every year. and we should go ahead and start lubing up for the ACC refs in Raleigh.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Considering we have no home game with a "power 5" or even an AAC team, a great home schedule from a ticket office perspective. No I-AA game. Not thrilled with 3 weeks with no home game in a row, but NBD. Never two weeks in a row at home, which cuts the gate usually.

Miami (not the real one, the one in Ohio) will always be the object of hate for Herd fans of a certain age. Labor Day weekend is always a good crowd.

Kent State is the generic MACer this year. Whatever.

ODU or FIU look like Homecoming. Either one is fine. FIU is probably the low gate of the year, especially if we don't bounce back if it is not homecoming.

Save the two best tests for last, WKU and USM.

As to the away schedule, 4 of the 6 are driveable (and, yes, Cincinnati tickets are esentually given away if you know where to look) , the other two are in vacation destinations (Palm Beach County, FL and San Antonio). BTW, the fiasco at Raleigh was when we were I-AA, generally I-A vs. I-AA use the home refs, but generally in I-A games the visitor's conference provides the refs, for what it is worth.

Seeing 5-6 wins all things staying the same.

Wish the bye week was later in the season.

BTW, the fiasco at Raleigh was when we were I-AA, generally I-A vs. I-AA use the home refs, but generally in I-A games the visitor's conference provides the refs, for what it is worth.

aren't the Refs still a "negotiating" point of the contract? i know P5 vs P5 is almost always "visitor brings the Refs". not sure about us lowly G5 plebs.

6 with a maybe 7 , far too many variables to go any higher and without any changes to the staff that in an of itself makes it doubly tough to go higher than the maybe 7 , heck realistically it could only be 4.

Will be interesting to see (without a marquee team coming to town ala a Louisville) what the end total will be with regards to the number of season tickets sold. Take the under when someone post an O/U. With nothing taking place as in removing the problems from the staff , nothing as far as QB , suspect DB's again it will be interesting to see just how many will actually purchase or renew season tickets or if they do will it be the same number of season tickets they generally order and have maintained for years or will there be major reductions especially with the chair backs.

After the debacle of a season we had , the lack of staff changes and questions galore with will the QB show up , stay out of trouble , figure out that in the game of football you are liable to get hit or sacked and learn to take a hit , as well as learn not to telegraph his passes or pass to an area where the only players there are the opposition ..a lot of questions , should be interesting.

6 with a maybe 7 , far too many variables to go any higher and without any changes to the staff that in an of itself makes it doubly tough to go higher than the maybe 7 , heck realistically it could only be 4.

Will be interesting to see (without a marquee team coming to town ala a Louisville) what the end total will be with regards to the number of season tickets sold. Take the under when someone post an O/U. With nothing taking place as in removing the problems from the staff , nothing as far as QB , suspect DB's again it will be interesting to see just how many will actually purchase or renew season tickets or if they do will it be the same number of season tickets they generally order and have maintained for years or will there be major reductions especially with the chair backs.

After the debacle of a season we had , the lack of staff changes and questions galore with will the QB show up , stay out of trouble , figure out that in the game of football you are liable to get hit or sacked and learn to take a hit , as well as learn not to telegraph his passes or pass to an area where the only players there are the opposition ..a lot of questions , should be interesting.

I could see 4 being the high point as well. The players didn't seem to care last year, why would they this year? Same players, same coaches.

I wish I had your optimism.

G
Well give us your total on W's and L's

It is what it is and that is pretty much what was there last year will be here again , from players to the stellar staff we have along with an AD that apparently does not see a problem or is oblivious to the problem(s) we all see or is in the hunt for a new venue as in moving on to train wreck his 4th program ( UNLV , ECU , MARSHALL and a school to be named at a later date.

Seriously , why would anyone really expect to see anything more than what we suffered through last season. I guess 4 wins would be an improvement and The Great One will reward Holliday with another contract extension.

4 wins tops (that's optimistic). Kool aid drinking super fans will brag about improvement over this season as a justifier to not give up on yet another "young" team.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Schedule has good mix of conference and non-conference games. Annual game in Florida which, until very recently, was utilized very well by coaches in our recruiting efforts down there. Only one other "long" road trip, to UTSA, where Herd gets to play in a very modern and major venue.

Home schedule plays well with 2 MAC teams to open. Herd needs a MAJOR EFFORT AND PERFORMANCE against Cryami at the outset, if only for their own psyche and to win back and/or excite skeptical fan base. Lay an egg in the opener and then get seriously outclassed and beat down the next week in Raleigh, the season could easily go down the tubes by mid September. Doc and staff should pull out all the stops in game one, make a "super bowl" type emphasis on the game; utilize the whole playbook, sparse as it may be. Hell, they'll have the whole preseason to prepare for the Dead Skins, so the game should have the Herd running a few trick plays, IMO.

Rest of schedule plays well: If team's fortunes are proceeding better than many expect, Herd fans can make reasonably easy road trips to MTSU, Cincy and Charlotte. As noted game dates could change for tv, and times are yet to be determined. Cincy game probably will be at night. I've heard area around UC is not in the better part of the Queen City, so I, and others, may be a little reluctant to wander around that part of the city at night for a game. Charlotte is very easy trip from southern WV, and look forward to trip there. Stadium somewhat small, but well laid out and fan friendly. Parking was not a problem last time Herd was there, and, unless the 49ers have a serious uptick in fan numbers this season, shouldn't be again.

Time to put the 2016 season disaster behind us folks and get behind our football team to support and help them have more success in 2017! Go Herd!!

I am not going to make a guess at our w/l record. We could have another year like the last or we could have something more similar to 2015 if the guys decide they want to play. As far as coaching changes, I wouldn't expect to see one period till after signing day, if any at all. Guess we will find out all answers at the start of the season.

Yep another schedule full of bottom 100 programs. A OOC schedule with a mediocre ACC team, a bad AAC team, 2 MAC schools, one terrible and one mediocre. We should win 8 with our eyes closed but we should have last year and we didn't. Nothing changed in the off season so color me cautiously pessimistic.

Looks like I don't have to plan my holiday around bowl season again next season. It'll be another season below .500.

My way to early guess on how the season will go.....

Sept. 2 MIAMI (OHIO) - Close Win
Sept. 9 at NC State - Loss
Sept. 16 KENT STATE - Win
----Looks like we are turning things around---
Sept. 23 Bye
Sept. 30 at Cincinnati - Loss
Oct. 7 at Charlotte - Loss
Oct. 14 OLD DOMINION - Win
Oct. 21 at Middle Tennessee - Loss
Oct. 28 FIU - Win
Nov. 4 at Florida Atlantic - Loss
Nov. 11 WKU - Loss