ADVERTISEMENT

Future QB?

Jan 1, 2018
Any ideas of the front runner at the QB spot? (Jackson White, Isaiah Green, and Garet Morrell) or has anyone heard of any big time JUCO players? With 9 returning offensive players it seems like a perfect fit for a big time transfer player.. hopefully this new OC has some good ties recruiting!

White has no chance

Green, Morrell, and Gaines will battle it out.

Also there is talk of the Grad Transfer QB from Wagner.

There is no way to know this yet since the team hasn't been on the field since Litton announced that he was going pro, but the speculation from most on this board based on what they saw last fall, is that Green is the frontrunner with Morrell having the second best chance to win the job... As for grad transfers, there are some out there but nothing is official yet.

Gaines is no longer a QB. Moved to TE last fall. As for the Wagner grad transfer. From what I hear there are some big time programs after him. There are 2-3 other grad transfers that we in the hunt for.

Wagner QB is mediocre IMO. His stats are nothing to buzz about. I'd rather take my chances with Green. Now if we can get a really good graduate transfer QB then yea lets go for it. I wish doc would have given green some playing time last year so we wouldn't be in this situation. I really think green can right our ship!

Reactions: sistersville
Wagner runs a triple option and that’s part of the reason he wants to go somewhere else he’ll flourish

Wagner QB is mediocre IMO. His stats are nothing to buzz about. I'd rather take my chances with Green. Now if we can get a really good graduate transfer QB then yea lets go for it. I wish doc would have given green some playing time last year so we wouldn't be in this situation. I really think green can right our ship!

You realize that he has some pretty big name schools after him and he's getting some attention as a possible NFL prospect?

FIU just picked up a grad transfer QB as well - according to the CUSABBS Board.

You realize that he has some pretty big name schools after him and he's getting some attention as a possible NFL prospect?
Yes I realize he has some big programs after him but what has he done other than have the prototypical body size that the nfl wants. I'm just not reading much into it. I believe 100% that are next start is Isaiah Green. Now the smartest thing that doc could have done last year is to play green a little, I inderstand they wanted to red shirt him but the kid needed that playing time for this year. Maybe if we picked up a graduate transfer to back him up would be nice.

Last edited:
Yes I realize he has some big programs after him but what has he done other than have the prototypical body size that the nfl wants. I'm just not reading much into it. I believe 100% that are next start is Isaiah Green. Now the smartest Hong that doc could have done last year is to play green a little, I inderstand they wanted to red shirt him but the kid needed that playing time for this year. Maybe if we picked up a graduate transfer to back him up would be nice.

If you 100% believe Isaiah Green is our future you should be kissing Doc's feet that he decided not to burn a year of eligibility for a few garbage time snaps.

Think about what Green would have been last year as a true freshman versus what he could be as a red-shirt senior in 2021.

Kids dont stick around that long anymore
I'd agree with you in general, but it's pretty rare that a mid-major QB would get draft consideration as a junior. I'm not sure Chase Litton makes the decision he makes if Josh Allen's draft stock isn't there as a motivating force. The whole team hating his guts was probably a factor too, as well as his mother's love for giant, tacky diamond earrings.

I think you plan for the most common occurrence, which is a QB who plays out their eligibility. It's worth noting that both Leftwich and Pennington - unquestionably the most successful NFL QBs to come out of Marshall - were both here for the full five years.

If you 100% believe Isaiah Green is our future you should be kissing Doc's feet that he decided not to burn a year of eligibility for a few garbage time snaps.

Think about what Green would have been last year as a true freshman versus what he could be as a red-shirt senior in 2021.
Doc should be kissing Green's feet for staying with the program. Thank god he didn't transfer or else we would be in deep deep trouble! Now I am glad we got him to red shirt but it would had been nice for him to pick up some very valuable time playing in a real game. I do agree with you on the years of eligibility. Now that he's still here it would be nice to see him start and make some noise in the record books.

Doc should be kissing Green's feet for staying with the program. Thank god he didn't transfer or else we would be in deep deep trouble! Now I am glad we got him to red shirt but it would had been nice for him to pick up some very valuable time playing in a real game. I do agree with you on the years of eligibility. Now that he's still here it would be nice to see him start and make some noise in the record books.

Its frustrating how dumb some people are...

I really hope we get a transfer who at the very least can push our QBs. The QB spot just doesn't seem deep and with all the talent on both sides of the field this has potential to be an amazing year!

Reactions: THUNDER8718
I know your not referring to me guy?

I am.
You complained that Doc did, what pretty much every coach in America does...he plays the starting QB.
All you did was contradict yourself and complained...multiple times.
First off, the Wagner QB is not as bad as you're making him out to be. He isn't playing in a very notable conference, I'll give you that, but many top tier schools have him on their radar, to dismiss that is foolish.
But let's stick to MU...
Why on Earth would Doc want to burn a redshirt for a guy who isn't going to get any significant playing time? Barring injury, there's absolutely no reason for him to play Green, especially burning a redshirt for him to get what amounts to glorified scrimmage time.
Oh, and now, we have a new OC...so Green would have to re-learn the playbook. I'd much rather him learn a whole new scheme that he hasn't actually used on the field.
Litton leaving was sort of icing on the cake since he wouldn't have to undo an entire offense, instead, the next guy in line, learns it and uses it.
I can't believe you haven't thought of this.

Reactions: JC102
First of all bud. I don't go around in a message board talking down to my fellow marshall fans. I have more respect for people than you do.You can take that crap somewhere else. I don't complain about your comments and stupidity. So for you to talk smack on my comment is pretty petty. I'm entitled to my OWN opinion on here and as YOU are too. But don't go talking that little guy crap to me. I don't know you and you don't know me, keep it that way. Now looking back yes I did contradict myself, It happens. Now looking at your analysis on Green it does make since, I can't disagree with what your saying. I'd just hate to see another solid QB transfer out if he didn't get his chance to play that's all I meant.

First of all bud. I don't go around in a message board talking down to my fellow marshall fans. I have more respect for people than you do.You can take that crap somewhere else. I don't complain about your comments and stupidity. So for you to talk smack on my comment is pretty petty. I'm entitled to my OWN opinion on here and as YOU are too. But don't go talking that little guy crap to me. I don't know you and you don't know me, keep it that way. Now looking back yes I did contradict myself, It happens. Now looking at your analysis on Green it does make since, I can't disagree with what your saying. I'd just hate to see another solid QB transfer out if he didn't get his chance to play that's all I meant.

I think the very reason he stayed was because of who we were pursuing to replace Legg.

If Green is the man let’s roll him out, but I’m still high on trying to get Joe Burrow to Huntington after he graduates in May if he loses out the starting job at Ohio State. Docs connections to Urban could lead Joe our way and the fact it’s just down the road from Athens.

Lol! Green only stayed because this or that. Isaiah Green was a 2017 signee who signed with the knowledge he would be redshirted and in all likelihood sitting out in 2018 as Litton plays his senior season. Leaving him with 3 seasons to be the starter.

Yea we should have also burnt his RS so he could come in a take 3 handoff snaps in the 4th quarter. I mean how many games this season did we actually have garbage time that he would have played. Not many.

Almost everyone on this board were saying in 2014 how great it could have been if Cato had got his RS season.

You know what if Green would have transferred for his lack of PT then we don't need him here anyways. That would be a huge sign of immaturity and selfishness.

Because he did get redshirted if he wins the job he gets 4 seasons of being a starter.

Don't mind him 718. He likes to play resident bad ass. Must be trying to compensate for something.

Don't mind him 718. He likes to play resident bad ass. Must be trying to compensate for something.

I don't post on these message boards much but when I do, I like to voice my own opinion that's all. And I don't mind criticism but I can't stand being talked to like I'm below someone. I don't do that to others and I damn sure don't appreciate it. Anyway carry on with the topic lol.

Marshall fans shit on each other. Especially the young fans who crap on older fans. I love the herd. Been a fan for 45 yrs. Didnt know until the net how many assholes there are and they talk about wv fans. 0-12 and bash Them.

Why on Earth would Doc want to burn a redshirt for a guy who isn't going to get any significant playing time? Barring injury, there's absolutely no reason for him to play Green, especially burning a redshirt for him to get what amounts to glorified scrimmage time.
Oh, and now, we have a new OC...so Green would have to re-learn the playbook.
This.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Wagner runs a triple option and that’s part of the reason he wants to go somewhere else he’ll flourish
Thomson average about 28.5 pass attempts per game in 2016 and 2017. I believe they quit running the triple option after 2015 when he averaged 15.25 attempts per game.

Morrell was not that impressive in 2016. Certainly not close to Litton. Im not sure why people are so high on him. He will need to make major strides. Spring will be interesting to say the least.

Reactions: kdbherdon
Morrell was not that impressive in 2016. Certainly not close to Litton. Im not sure why people are so high on him. He will need to make major strides. Spring will be interesting to say the least.

To be fair to the kid, he had one week to prepare for UL and one week to prepare for WKU because Chase bailed on the team. And after the team had basically given up.

To be fair to the kid, he had one week to prepare for UL and one week to prepare for WKU because Chase bailed on the team. And after the team had basically given up.

Well how long does a QB usually get to prepare for an opposing team? We play a different team every week. In any event there should be no excuses this year for whichever QB wins the job.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
Ask Alabama about that...

Generally speaking, I think what I said was correct. Some teams have QBs they feel are more like 1A than a true 2nd teamer, and may get them more game ready. Other staffs may just do that as a common practice because of their coaching philosophy. I can say though, that Morrell was not in either of those positions. In responding to @sportsphantom1, I was pointing out that for most backup QBs, that one week of game prep is rarely enough to get them ready. Morrell was totally handcuffed in his games. Whether that was because he wasn't ready for more, or just that the coaching believed he wasn't, the result was the same. I don't know how good Morrell will be this coming year. But I do know it's unfair to judge him based on those two appearances in 2016.

Oh, and Tua was the #1 dual threat QB in the country coming out of HS. I have a feeling that if he was our backup our staff would have had him ready to go.

You are aware that when the starting QB is injured and is out for the next game the backup gets more reps?

I hope I didn't sound harsh before. I was just defending Morrell's game performance. And yes, a backup would get more reps going into a game where the starter is out. And it still isn't the same as Litton preparing as the starter all the way through camp and every other game on the schedule. It is still overall far fewer reps for Morrell who most likely needed far more. Comparing the one-week game prep for Litton and Morrell is not apples to apples.

Generally speaking, I think what I said was correct. Some teams have QBs they feel are more like 1A than a true 2nd teamer, and may get them more game ready. Other staffs may just do that as a common practice because of their coaching philosophy. I can say though, that Morrell was not in either of those positions. In responding to @sportsphantom1, I was pointing out that for most backup QBs, that one week of game prep is rarely enough to get them ready. Morrell was totally handcuffed in his games. Whether that was because he wasn't ready for more, or just that the coaching believed he wasn't, the result was the same. I don't know how good Morrell will be this coming year. But I do know it's unfair to judge him based on those two appearances in 2016.

Oh, and Tua was the #1 dual threat QB in the country coming out of HS. I have a feeling that if he was our backup our staff would have had him ready to go.

But given one of our backups seemed to do quite well when he transferred (I honestly forgot who it was), he did quite well. In fact, Froh did good also.

ADVERTISEMENT