ADVERTISEMENT

G5 Playoff

Dreh_Nagi_HC_IM

Gold Buffalo
Feb 22, 2017
Found this article online, and found it to be pretty enticing.

Everybody knows that the G5 has less than a snowball's chance in hell of reaching the CFB, and an even lesser chance at actually winning one, if by chance, a team were to ever get in.

I'm a playoff expansion guy, so I would go to 8 or 16, but I like the idea this guy presents.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...inal-four-teams-and-a-2018-national-champion/

Good find.

Here are my issues with the article:
#1 - The independents are not a part of the G5 so they cannot be included
#2 - Any G5 playoff not including all G5 conference champions is invalid as this allows bias in the selections
#3 - An 8-team playoff would be better, but a G5 playoff will never happen. The only way a G5 school is ever in a playoff game again is if the G5 move back to FCS.

The best the G5 can hope for is an 8-team CFP with an auto-bid spot for the top G5, which will be selected from the AAC or MWC regardless of how much better the champions of CUSA, SB, or MAC might be. Perception and your TV contract is everything in the CFP selections.

I have mixed feelings about that. If we do that we might as well merge back to the FCS. I understand hell would freeze over before a G5 got in the final 4. However it is still nice to be able to say we finished in the Top 25 or #10 one year(1999). Most of my friends who went to P5 schools understand that a school like Marshall can actually field a really good team, so they respect a G5 school that has a good year. What they don't respect is a UCF acting like they are national champs cause they won one big game in a season. Is it fair? I say no. Is it the reality? Yes.

Nobody wants to go back to 1-AA (yes, I intentionally used 1-AA). The Herd has its problems, but personally I like going to a bowl. I like a chance to crack the top 25 as stated by another poster. I like having P5 teams come in here and we beat them on occasion. All of that goes away with FCS not to mention going back to 65 schollies.

There are few schools currently who have the resources to be able to transition to P5 IF invited. We are where and who we are: A small university in a lower-tier conference. It is what it is.

The only way a G5 school is ever in a playoff game again is if the G5 move back to FCS.

G5 school presidents, ADs, and conference commissioners were already discussing a G5 playoff back with the first round of realignment began.

If the P5 had gotten their way the first time around of having 4 super conferences of 16 teams a G5 playoff was a reality already had early designs.

One of the CUSA ADs was on the Tim Brando show discussing it.

Remember ADs like Oliver Luck were also pushing for P5s to cease in scheduling G5s once realignment concluded.

Frankly I'd love it. The NY6 game is a pat on the head because a G5 will never be in their playoff. The bowl games are meaningless garbage games. They used to hold more value, but now there are so many we have had 5-7 teams getting bids based on team GPA.

At least there would be something to winning a championship. Whether it's a G5 or not.

Fact is CFB is going to become more lopsided and the G5 is going to get squeezed out. ESPN is driving the bus and they greatly overvalued and overspent on the conference tv deals. Couple that with the ratings dips.

There was a write up back when Disney was forcing them to layoff big names and trim expenses. The next go around would see the big conference deals either go away completely or be renegotiated down greatly. The push for a more a la carte deal for ESPN was the most popular option. They'd just bid on the games they thought would draw which would take CFB TV coverage back to the 70s and 80s. That is why all this FB and Stadium streaming is such a blessing no matter how much some of our fans complain about it.

Look at how much we've debated how horrible CUSA's bowl options were. You can't tell me being in a situation where we'd be able to have a shot at playing Boise, UCF, and other top G5s where something of substance on the line wouldn't be more enticing than the Bad Boy Lawnmowers Gasperilla Bowl.

Nobody wants to go back to 1-AA (yes, I intentionally used 1-AA). The Herd has its problems, but personally I like going to a bowl. I like a chance to crack the top 25 as stated by another poster. I like having P5 teams come in here and we beat them on occasion. All of that goes away with FCS not to mention going back to 65 schollies.

There are few schools currently who have the resources to be able to transition to P5 IF invited. We are where and who we are: A small university in a lower-tier conference. It is what it is.

The P5 will never invite another G5. The push is for 4 super-16 conferences. It's what this current CFB Playoff was originally designed for. There is talk of the B1G pushing for Texas and OU to join. By 2025 CFB is going to look a lot different.

One could argue that the continued expansion of the bowls has eroded the Marshall Football program.

With the I-AA Playoffs and the early days of the MAC with only the conference champs getting a bowl it pushed us as a program. Now with a 6-6 season granting post season play the "Sense of Accomplishment" bar for the administration has dropped. It's allowed complacency to easily set in.

I would rather see the G5 pressure the system to model itself after the 1AA playoff system. If we go off and do our own thing, we might as well be a part of the FCS, it would be viewed as such.

Reactions: pdbailey
I would rather see the G5 pressure the system to model itself after the 1AA playoff system. If we go off and do our own thing, we might as well be a part of the FCS, it would be viewed as such.
With the exception of a handful of teams, the G5 is pretty much viewed as FCS, and 100% treated as such. Instead of potentially competing against the likes of Boise State, Fresno State, Utah State, Central Florida, and Navy, to win a championship, the Herd is competing against the likes of a bunch of alphabet schools, UAB, UTEP, NTU, UTSA, FIU, FAU, in hopes of winning at least six games, in order to compete with another alphabet school, USF, in hopes of winning a lawn mower trophy, a mower that nobody seems to know anything about. Not sure about you, but I'm going to read that thread about the lawn mower again, because I might just be interested in scoring one for the old lady.

Well they could always be like 98 and have 1 bowl for the conference champ for us. Not that it was a bad thing,but I do remember the excitement when the mobile bowl wanted us, then there was 2.... There really is no win win unless all of the G5 band together and force a real playoff to involve all champs, and give all those at large to P5 in order to shut their pie hole.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT