ADVERTISEMENT

HERDNATION.COM Game Two: 2018-2019 (#4) basketball versus 1999-2000 (#5)

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
Game Two: 2018-2019 (#4) basketball versus 1999-2000 (#5)

Upset Alert! Truth be told the outcome of this game did not surprise me at all. I assumed Tamar Slay would be an impossible match-up for the 2018-2019 squad and that's exactly what happened. The 2nd round NBA pick poured in 25 points and snagged 10 rebounds while fellow all-time-great J.R. Vanhoose also recorded a double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds. As a team the 1999-2000 team dominated on the glass, winning the overall rebound battle 48-38.

Jon Elmore scored 26 points for the 2018-2019 team (on 23 shots) but received very little help from his teammates. Taevion Kinsey, Jarrod West and Jannson Williams all combined to only score 16 points.

Click box score to enlarge:

basketball.jpg

Travis Young was a heckuva player as well and an even better dude! He lived on my floor in Hodges Hall one year.

Hard to remember who played on those "old" teams! The '99-'00 squad's secret weapon? Corny Jackson!!

How is a guy who started as a freshman in the SEC, was the starting point guard and captain for Marshall all three years he was there, and led the MAC in assists in both his junior and senior years a "secret weapon"?

A secret weapon is somebody who doesn't see the court as much, has a specific role that comes into play in key situations, and isn't the focus of anything on defense.

That would have been Joda Burgess, a guy who could quickly pour in 6-10 points in the last five minutes of each half when he comes off of the bench on fire.

Joda Burgess from out CK way was one of MU's better long range bombers that many folks forget about. Believe he would have thrived "big time" in the D'Antoni system!

Reactions: herd2believe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT