ADVERTISEMENT

Geezer, lawn mower.

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
I have an older Troy Bilt push mower. I would say it is about 13 years old or so. I haven't used it in about 4 years. Not sure if I have started it or not. Put some gas in it and tried to start it. Pulled it the thing and keep pulling. It would turn over and fire but, then it would just stop. Took the spark plug out and put a new one in. Same thing. Checked the air cleaner and it was good. I was guessing the carburetor was gummed up. I didn't really want to take it off and clean it up or put a new one on. The Briggs and Stratton engine on it has one of those auto chokes and throttle and you don't have to prime it. I went and bought some starter fluid and sprayed in the carb. It would fire a little better but was quickly dying. Like it was running off the cleaner. Then, i got some of the SeaFoam spray carb cleaner and shot it in there and it would do just a little better. but, kept doing the same thing.

I was like well, do I rebuild the carb(you just put another on there) or just pony up and buy a new mower. Push mowers now are expensive. So, I started watching these videos about how to get them started. Put a new carb on it, Rebuild the carb, take it off and clean it they all said.

I will be damned, if I didn't find this video of a lady who owns a small engine repair shop out in the midwest somewhere. She said take the mower and lift it up the back wheels and few times and kind of bounce it before you do any other replacements of the carb. She says many times the float is just stuck after they have set for awhile. I did that a few times and it was trying even harder to run. I think turn it on its side and bam thing fired up and ran. Smoked like a freight train for about 3 minutes. I guess it was all the sea foam and gunk in it. Stopped smoking and runs like a champ now. Going to put me a new blade on it and ordered some new front wheels.

A woman had the simplest fix. I was getting ready to pull that carb off of there and take it apart. Almost said screw it and was going to buy a new one but, the inflation on the mowers is stupid right now.

This happened to me after I didn't winterize and went a year without starting one of my cheap gas powered mowers....and I switched to battery powered and couldn't be happier. I gave up after trying a few simple fixes.

With that said, I have a small yard and if the grass gets too high it struggles.

Reactions: mlblack16.
All that ethanol in gas ruins the mower fuel lines. I always use a gas stabilizer at the end of the season. I’ve also tried that mower bouncing trick that the lady advised, but I didn’t get it from her. I have watched a couple of her videos and like her style.

This happened to me after I didn't winterize and went a year without starting one of my cheap gas powered mowers....and I switched to battery powered and couldn't be happier. I gave up after trying a few simple fixes.

With that said, I have a small yard and if the grass gets too high it struggles.
I have thought about one of those battery powered mowers. Does it do ok in wet grass? Plus, that lady says the problem they are seeing out them are some of the plastic decks cracking and some of then have a plastic type fly wheel where the blade attaches and they are cracking.

All that ethanol in gas ruins the mower fuel lines. I always use a gas stabilizer at the end of the season. I’ve also tried that mower bouncing trick that the lady advised, but I didn’t get it from her. I have watched a couple of her videos and like her style.
That lady that fixes the chains saws? Man, she can fix anything. I like it when she runs the chain saw in her tank top.

Reactions: greengeezer
Not sure what kind of mower I would get if I were buying a new one. Bought a Honda push mower a few years ago so I am good for another decade. California made Honda angry with all their mower mandates so they got out of the lawn care business. I’m not going electric.

Not sure what kind of mower I would get if I were buying a new one. Bought a Honda push mower a few years ago so I am good for another decade. California made Honda angry with all their mower mandates so they got out of the lawn care business. I’m not going electric.
Honda is pulling out and Husqvarna has announced they are pulling out of gas push mowers as well. I don't mind battery for some things like a small weed eater around the house. Or a small blower to blow a porch off. Not good for many leaves in yard. I have a small yard but a ton of leaves. I bought the big Stihl 2 stroke for that. I am not sold on the battery mowers yet.

Honda is pulling out and Husqvarna has announced they are pulling out of gas push mowers as well. I don't mind battery for some things like a small weed eater around the house. Or a small blower to blow a porch off. Not good for many leaves in yard. I have a small yard but a ton of leaves. I bought the big Stihl 2 stroke for that. I am not sold on the battery mowers yet.
I said I wouldn’t go electric, but Stihl has a nice looking electric mower I might consider. The main thing I hate is the clutter of different batteries and chargers and never having a fully charged unit when you need it. Also, I’m still very untrusting of lithium batteries. I never go off and leave them charging. I worry about fire.

One thing I've always appreciated about my self-propelled Honda is the pre-installed fuel shut off valve. Makes it easy to burn up what's in the bowl, and then I can go smoke a bowl.

• Haha
Reactions: i am herdman
I said I wouldn’t go electric, but Stihl has a nice looking electric mower I might consider. The main thing I hate is the clutter of different batteries and chargers and never having a fully charged unit when you need it. Also, I’m still very untrusting of lithium batteries. I never go off and leave them charging. I worry about fire.
They are starting to making some Lithium Phosphate batteries which are supposed to be better in terms of safety and life span. The issue that I see that will happen is all the manufacturer's have to do is change battery styles and they can plan obsolescence. You could have a 30 year old mower with a Briggs and Stratton and with enough effort you could make it run. But, with the battery powered if they stop making a certain battery then, you will be hosed. The batteries will go bad after time or they will lose capacity. For a small yard they might be ok and some of them are getting more appealing. But, I don't think there will be any fixing them.

100% it does. I live near a lake so I have ethanol free gas readily available. On the advice of a local landscaper, I made the switch around eight years ago and it's astounding how much better my mower and weedeater run. I swap out the air filter a couple times a year and it too makes a big difference.

I switched and promptly switched back. I have Zoysia which is a lot tougher than Fescue, St. Augustine or Bluegrass. The electric couldn't maintain the torque I needed to get a clean cut.

i've used the same type of technique on a weed eater multiple times. pull that damn cord until i'm seeing red. wind mill the bastard as far down through the yard as i could. go drink a beer and calm down, then walk down, pick it up, pull the damn cord once and it fires right up.

i've used the same type of technique on a weed eater multiple times. pull that damn cord until i'm seeing red. wind mill the bastard as far down through the yard as i could. go drink a beer and calm down, then walk down, pick it up, pull the damn cord once and it fires right up.

• Haha
Reactions: WV-FAN
100% it does. I live near a lake so I have ethanol free gas readily available. On the advice of a local landscaper, I made the switch around eight years ago and it's astounding how much better my mower and weedeater run. I swap out the air filter a couple times a year and it too makes a big difference.
There is one station in the vicinity that has ethanol free gasoline. Like you, I have heard landscapers recommend that type gas for yard machinery.

The issue that I see that will happen is all the manufacturer's have to do is change battery styles and they can plan obsolescence.
I have already experienced that. I have a couple old Craftsman electric tools that use the battery that has a vertical stalk on one end. Now they have switched to a flat style battery. My old battery fits nothing and the new battery doesn’t fit my old tools.

I have thought about one of those battery powered mowers. Does it do ok in wet grass? Plus, that lady says the problem they are seeing out them are some of the plastic decks cracking and some of then have a plastic type fly wheel where the blade attaches and they are cracking.

Struggles with thick, wet grass. Definitely not as much power as a gas mower. Got to be careful not to let the grass get too thick.

Iif it's a hot, wet summer I have to mow about every 5 days. I can mow my yard though in 18 minutes though.

Mine is starting to fall a part but i've had it 10 years. Same initial batteries too. Never had to do a thing to it other than sharpen the blades.

Struggles with thick, wet grass. Definitely not as much power as a gas mower. Got to be careful not to let the grass get too thick.

Iif it's a hot, wet summer I have to mow about every 5 days. I can mow my yard though in 18 minutes though.

Mine is starting to fall a part but i've had it 10 years. Same initial batteries too. Never had to do a thing to it other than sharpen the blades.

^^Chooses medicine as a career so he can enjoy the finer things in life.

• Haha
Reactions: -CarlHungus-
The key is to pour 1 ounce of stabilizer per 2.5 gallons of gas. For those with limited mathematical skills, that's 2 ounces of stabilizer per 5 gallon tank. I pour before filling up my tanks, and use it continuously. My outdoor equipment always starts right up. Now jackass wv-fan and his trimmer woes is probably due to not understanding the ratio when it comes to gas/oil mix, which is why he can never successfully own such equipment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT