ADVERTISEMENT

Grant Wells

Jartard

Platinum Buffalo
Oct 29, 2019
Played well with no contact. This story is going to change big time once 4 and 5 star recruits start pounding him.

• Sad
Reactions: putnam green
He’s always had the

or doing exactly what we did here which was get all excited during spring ball and camp because wells looked like Brady Montana elway etc only to have him completely implode midway through the season
I’m sure Cramsey had nothing to do with that. He couldn’t develop IG and didn’t help Wells.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
He lost track of the sticks and stepped out a yard short, on an early down, one time and all the sudden the narrative becomes he was scared of contact.

I don’t blame him one bit for leaving.
Cato did that A Lot. He didn't start running without fear until he broke that long run against Rhode Island. Half time times he slid he looked to be in a panic.

Barring injury, Columbi will be the starter this fall (Im guessing he wouldn't leave Texas Tech via the portal and come to Marshall unless he had some assurance he would have the starting job).

Im not going to root against Wells, unless he's in the game against us. Sometimes a mutual divorce is good for everyone... Hopefully Columbi comes in and leads us to a good year, and Wells gets the turnovers under control and VT has a good season.

Barring injury, Columbi will be the starter this fall (Im guessing he wouldn't leave Texas Tech via the portal and come to Marshall unless he had some assurance he would have the starting job).

Im not going to root against Wells, unless he's in the game against us. Sometimes a mutual divorce is good for everyone... Hopefully Columbi comes in and leads us to a good year, and Wells gets the turnovers under control and VT has a good season.
Nah, never will happen.
The old people on here would never admit a 20 yr old college athlete proved them wrong.
They'll find someone to blame if Wells has success as a means to deflect that they don't know sh*t about being a college athlete, let alone the logistics of college football programs themselves.

Nah, never will happen.
The old people on here would never admit a 20 yr old college athlete proved them wrong.
They'll find someone to blame if Wells has success as a means to deflect that they don't know sh*t about being a college athlete, let alone the logistics of college football programs themselves.
I know all about being a college athelete. I have one.

Reactions: Jartard
Did you not watch the Western Kentucky game this year to see what our team looked like with and without Grant Wells?
Did you watch the Rice game the year before and see how the team looked with him? Same for most games after that.

Reactions: herd66
If you remember, when Cato turned the corner on a run he would most always "slip" just about the time he was about to be hit by the defense.
Yup. That one guy from CBSCS that always did our games. I think his name was Randy Cross. He used to comment on how violent Cato "slid" and he was going to hurt himself if someone didn't correct it.

People often forget Wells had only been starting two years. Yes I know he had a RS year, but in live action he was only two seasons in. He showed flashes both good and bad. Which is typical of his stage in development.

If this board and fan base had its way Cato never would have seen his JR let alone his SR season.

Whoever the next QB is here will be the greatest thing since sliced bread when he starts, but he'll soon lose favor the first time he struggles.

One thing that Wells sorely missed that every great QB has had. A true #1 threat that could make plays consistently and draw coverages. Wells never had that. He also had a TE that was anything but dependable. He always had the support of good backs in Knox and Ali, but Cramsey often forgot they even existed and I lost count on how many critical 3rd downs Knox and Ali were pulled from the game for Evans which usually ended up in a play for no yards or negative yards.

I really hope that Trickett doesn't stay with personnel rotations over game glow.

Grant was/is a pretty good runner and certainly not afraid to get hit.

2021 he ran 44 times for 164 (excluding sack yardage for both years) an of average of 3.73 with a long of 15 and 7 touchdowns.

2020 he ran 43 times for 254 an average of 5.91 and a long of 25 with 2 TDS.

Not bad for a drop back pro style QB

Grant is gone. No need to relive mistakes made. Wish him all the success at Va Tech and we will be able to see if - and how much, he improved when Tech comes to Huntington next season.
I too wish him the best, in fact I wish he had stayed as we were invested in him through the growing pains! If he does well at VPI, maybe we should send them a bill?

For the life of me I don't get why some of you are so hard on Grant. He did a solid job here under center. Was he the Second Coming of Chad or Byron? Of course not. But good grief he was as good as or better than most of the QB's I have seen here since I started going to games in 1972. Time to move on- hope the Texas Tech kid works out and buys us a year to develop the 4-5 kids we have behind him.

For the life of me I don't get why some of you are so hard on Grant. He did a solid job here under center. Was he the Second Coming of Chad or Byron? Of course not. But good grief he was as good as or better than most of the QB's I have seen here since I started going to games in 1972. Time to move on- hope the Texas Tech kid works out and buys us a year to develop the 4-5 kids we have behind him.
It was him and his families attitude. When you were hearing that he was transferring in the middle of a bowl game you lose respect for someone. His dad would wear WVU apparel to games that’s very bizarre behavior.

Grant Wells...D1 QB, currently in a P5 conference.
Posters on here...never a D1 athlete, currently on an online forum hoping someone, a fraction of their age, to fail.

It was him and his families attitude. When you were hearing that he was transferring in the middle of a bowl game you lose respect for someone. His dad would wear WVU apparel to games that’s very bizarre behavior.

Same can be said for fans who, in the middle of a game where he struggles, give up on him, demand he be benched, and burn the redshirt of someone else.

Same can be said for fans who post bloated BS like, "he's the worst QB ever. He sucks. He'll never succeed" all the while touting fandom and loyalty to MU and the program.

You're basically no different.

Same can be said for fans who, in the middle of a game where he struggles, give up on him, demand he be benched, and burn the redshirt of someone else.

Same can be said for fans who post bloated BS like, "he's the worst QB ever. He sucks. He'll never succeed" all the while touting fandom and loyalty to MU and the program.

You're basically no different.
Shhhhh. Players should have undying devotion no matter what. Grant has absolutely no right to be sour about his time here. None. How dare he be offended by his own "fans" yelling at him that he sucks.

You would have thought with him being a local kid and the first starting QB in several decades that was born and raised in WV you'd think the fans would have been in his corner more. Nope. Instead stupid rumors and character bashing of his family.

I will never understand when the shift in our fan base happened. We used to harshly criticize wvu fans for how they treated their players after losses. Now as soon as one of our players struggles their labeled and booed. The kid was a RS SO who made underclassman mistakes. Shocker. What's really going to suck is if he excels at VT and we're sitting here holding the bag with an unstable QB situation. Fact of the matter is even if Colombi is all world we're still stuck starting over next season with yet another unproven QB.

Also anyone that openly roots against Grant and hoping he fails you really have an empty life.

Shhhhh. Players should have undying devotion no matter what. Grant has absolutely no right to be sour about his time here. None. How dare he be offended by his own "fans" yelling at him that he sucks.

You would have thought with him being a local kid and the first starting QB in several decades that was born and raised in WV you'd think the fans would have been in his corner more. Nope. Instead stupid rumors and character bashing of his family.

I will never understand when the shift in our fan base happened. We used to harshly criticize wvu fans for how they treated their players after losses. Now as soon as one of our players struggles their labeled and booed. The kid was a RS SO who made underclassman mistakes. Shocker. What's really going to suck is if he excels at VT and we're sitting here holding the bag with an unstable QB situation. Fact of the matter is even if Colombi is all world we're still stuck starting over next season with yet another unproven QB.

Also anyone that openly roots against Grant and hoping he fails you really have an empty life.
That's weird, I seem to recall a basketball player this year who easily could transferred out but instead apologized and is returning. Last time I checked Marshall loves him and his dedication to the program. It's not like grant was some super star, he choked two seasons in a row, saw the writing on the wall and left.

Reactions: Jartard and 19MU88
Grant will continue on and have a nice college career as he did at Marshall. No pleasing some people.
looking forward to seeing him QB in the Joan next year,
For the love of Christ, leave this kid alone … he’s gone … you got what you wanted … now start behaving like a real Marshall fan who makes a wonderful impressions with visitors.

That's weird, I seem to recall a basketball player this year who easily could transferred out but instead apologized and is returning. Last time I checked Marshall loves him and his dedication to the program. It's not like grant was some super star, he choked two seasons in a row, saw the writing on the wall and left.
Yep. Hell with him. I don't care 🤷‍♀️ f he's great or sucks. I mean the only reason I know who he is is because he came to my school to play ball. I certainly don't care what some clown on a message board thinks about what makes a fulfilling or pathetic life.

Reactions: HerdBy100
Wells needed a good coach to guide him and show him corrective steps to help keep him under control and making correct decisions.

Wells was good not great, but could have been better at a lot of things, making correct reads, not forcing passes, knowing when to run and not letting the game and fans get to him are some.
We are fans so when someone makes silly decisions we what change lol.

litton was the same way. Cato was just a Smart QB and athletic enough to create when things were breaking down and had Tony Petersen for nearly 2 years as a coach.

I think the change should have been coaching and well that’s what we got, now let see if the unproven guy works out…

we had Bill Legg and his 3 play playbook, then we had BillLegg2.0 and his 15 play playbook, neither guy developed A great great QB, now we have a unproven guy that brings who knows what, with a new unproven QB. Should be fun to watch.!

Go Herd!!

For the love of Christ, leave this kid alone … he’s gone … you got what you wanted … now start behaving like a real Marshall fan who makes a wonderful impressions with visitors.
How old was that “kid”? Like 15 or 16?

Grant's inconsistency was a direct result of his inconsistent development (coaching) and inconsistent WR play. He seemed to never gel with anyone particular WR, which most great QBs have. Someone they can trust to run the correct route and catch what is thrown to them. He seemed to never fully recover from the previous season's (locker room) meltdown.

As someone who defended him endlessly on this board, I saw something in him that made me question his desire to be here as the season went on. His overall lack of leadership, and quiet demeanor isn't what you necessarily want from your "field general". His late season "concussion".....well, I'm not saying it wasn't , but.....regardless, he was on the way out the door and knew it at that point. He didn't want hurt. His half assed effort during the bowl game was also discouraging.

With that said. I wish him the best. Good luck. Moving on is the best for both parties.

ADVERTISEMENT