ADVERTISEMENT

Green is CUSA co-FOY

He’s what we’ve got. Don’t blame the kid, blame the staff for not developing him more and constantly having to press a freshmen into duty.

I guess we can hope he improves greatly for 2019 or Thomson’s shoulder miraculously heals to where he is 100%.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
He’s what we’ve got. Don’t blame the kid, blame the staff for not developing him more and constantly having to press a freshmen into duty.

I guess we can hope he improves greatly for 2019 or Thomson’s shoulder miraculously heals to where he is 100%.

I think we need to keep recruiting QB’s

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Problem is, do we let another Freshmen take over? According to some, the good Juco and Grad Transfer QB’s are out of our reach. I don’t agree with that but i’m just a fan.

Name Championship G5 teams with JUCO Qbs. And to be specific JUCO QBs that came in during their 1st season and won a conference title because that is what we're wanting here. Someone to come in and win the conference.

Remember everyone freaking out on Doc for losing Kai Locksley to UTEP. Boy he sure set the world on fire.

Reactions: pdbailey
Speaking of QB's, we have two committed for this class. Does anyone know anything about Maurice Underwood and or Grant Wells such as skill set or has seen them play?

I'm just not sold he is the QB of MU's future.

Lets not kid ourselves. This is Doc's guy moving forward. Marshall could luck out and sign a high caliber QB prospect, but until Green gets hurt, quits, or transfers...nothing will change his starting status. The prospect will ride the bench.

Cato (2011): 182-for-304, 59.9%; 2059 yards, 6.8 YPA; 15 TDS, 11 INTS, QBR: 125.8
Green (2018): 155-for-280, 55.4%; 2060 yards, 7.4 YPA; 15 TDS, 10 INTS, QBR: 127.7

Cato (2011): 182-for-304, 59.9%; 2059 yards, 6.8 YPA; 15 TDS, 11 INTS, QBR: 125.8
Green (2018): 155-for-280, 55.4%; 2060 yards, 7.4 YPA; 15 TDS, 10 INTS, QBR: 127.7
GREAT STATS HERDA!!!
Looks like Greens going to be ok!!!
GO HERD!!!!

Name Championship G5 teams with JUCO Qbs. And to be specific JUCO QBs that came in during their 1st season and won a conference title because that is what we're wanting here. Someone to come in and win the conference.

Remember everyone freaking out on Doc for losing Kai Locksley to UTEP. Boy he sure set the world on fire.

I don’t have time to look up that shit. I like Green, you can look at past posts. But, it doesn’t hurt to continue mine the schools for someone.
All I know is it’s on this staff to make sure the young man improves.
Going on 5 years now of having questionable QB play.
That shouldn’t happen here.

Lets not kid ourselves. This is Doc's guy moving forward. Marshall could luck out and sign a high caliber QB prospect, but until Green gets hurt, quits, or transfers...nothing will change his starting status. The prospect will ride the bench.
Disagree. Green is on a pretty short leash with the coaching staff. He lost his job mid-way through the year to AT.

Reactions: pdbailey
Disagree. Green is on a pretty short leash with the coaching staff. He lost his job mid-way through the year to AT.
Thought Green was injured/hurt not disciplined! No practice no play! You don’t lose your starting position due to injury. You heal up, go to practice and get your job back!!

Glad he is on a short leash. CL should have been.
But I thought the injury was the issue he didn’t play.
According to those close to AT, they didn’t even want him to play this season due to his shoulder still being a mess.

Anybody that watched Thomson play could tell he wasn't ready to go this year, and probably shouldn't have been out there.

If there is one legitimate criticism of Doc Holliday, it's that he has a tendency to play players who shouldn't be out there, sometimes exacerbating the prior injury to where it permanently harms the player.

In some ways (that I personally feel bad about myself about) I sympathize with Holliday's desperation to win games and keep the fanbase happy, because despite winning a conference championship and coaching at Marshall longer than anybody but Cam Henderson, he's still considered to be on a permanent hot seat.

However, there is a recent story that I think shows what this sort of thing can lead to, and its unfortunate to the point of being tragic.

First, he said JUCO AND transfer. You're limiting your criteria to only JUCO. You're also being just a little too specific with your criteria. You want it to be a G5 team. You want it to have a starting QB who was at a JUCO and not another type of transfer. You want that JUCO transfer to be in his first year. You want it to be on a team that won a conference championship.

How about this: show me all of the G5 teams with a first-year starting JUCO transfer. There aren't many - Georgia State, Southern Miss, UNLV, Kent State, UTSA?

If Marshall had signed Southern Miss' QB out of a JUCO last year, they almost assuredly play for a conference championship. He threw for nearly 300 yards per game at 73%. Suddenly, you don't have a one-dimensional offense and can keep the chains moving with a high completion percentage.

If Marshall had signed Georgia State's QB, they most likely play for a conference championship. His passing numbers were very similar to Green's, but he didn't have the turnovers that plagued Green or his reluctance to gain yards on the ground.

The same exact thing can be said had Marshall signed Woody Barrett out of Auburn/JUCO instead of Kent State.

Reactions: minvikfan1
If there is one legitimate criticism of Doc Holliday,

One?

despite winning a conference championship and coaching at Marshall longer than anybody but Cam Henderson, he's still considered to be on a permanent hot seat.

Uhh, yeah.That's the point. He has been at Marshall as long as all but one coach, yet he only has one championship. That's why he's considered on a permanent hot seat.

Well he ain’t all that good
He's not bad either for a FR QB. He was middle of the pack in QBR and seemed to improve throughout the season. I have a feeling he will be one of the best QBs in the conference next year.

GREAT STATS HERDA!!!
Looks like Greens going to be ok!!!
GO HERD!!!!
Green needs to get a lot better on the short and intermediate routes, but he throws a good and accurate deep ball. Improvements in his mechanics and footwork should help with all three.

Reactions: chuck1069
Uhh, yeah.That's the point. He has been at Marshall as long as all but one coach, yet he only has one championship. That's why he's considered on a permanent hot seat.
In Holliday's defense, the coach he is likely being compared to had his own set of distinct, unquestionable advantages.

People don't like to look at it this way, but its unfortunately accurate - Marshall football in the last 30 years can be broken down into distinct eras - Pre-Sanction, and Post. Marshall football since 2003 has been largely flat and uneventful, and we haven't come close to where we were....but for reasons that are obvious if we're honest with ourselves.

In Holliday's defense, the coach he is likely being compared to had his own set of distinct, unquestionable advantages.

People don't like to look at it this way, but its unfortunately accurate - Marshall football in the last 30 years can be broken down into distinct eras - Pre-Sanction, and Post. Marshall football since 2003 has been largely flat and uneventful, and we haven't come close to where we were....but for reasons that are obvious if we're honest with ourselves.

You can’t blame something that happened 10 years ago on our current state. We’ve had many classes cycle through since then.
Yes, Times are different but we have better facilities since then, spend more money, recruit higher rated kids as well.

Holiday is his own worst enemy. He has been known as a recruiting guru and built his career off that. I think we’ve had the most talent year in year out in this conference but have very little to show for it. He’s always going to be judged along with Pruett, just like every other successful coach at every other college or university has been and will be judged by their most successful coach. You don’t think BAMA fans are going to spend 30 years after Saban leaves judging their coaches off his success? It’s laughable if you think they won’t, we are no different. The issue here is Doc apologists blaming Pruett for Docs lack of success, that’s what is laughable. He’s been gone 15 years, Doc has been for nearly 10, this program and its lack of success is solely on him and no one else. And the fact you wish 1996-2002 never happened based off this is one of the more stupid things I’ve read on here in quite some time.

If Green gets some decent coaching, or he works at it like Cato, I think he will be very good.

Stars mean very little when not developed.
You guys are giving up on a seasoned QB coach in Cramsey when he has been here for only about 8-9 months. We don't have an OL coach as our QB coach anymore so I suspect we will be fine the next few years at the position.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
You don’t think BAMA fans are going to spend 30 years after Saban leaves judging their coaches off his success?

No doubt, and if I were an alien from Deep Space, sent to the Earth to establish first contact and somebody told me about the Crimson Tide, I'd be like, "Wait, and how many other teams are playing? With the same money? And they win every year? That's some Lance Armstrong shit right there. Them boys is cheatin'."

That's what I'm trying to say here - we were paying players. Butchie Wallace drove an Escalade. You want Doc to recruit more Butchie Wallaces? Get him some Escalades.

No doubt, and if I were an alien from Deep Space, sent to the Earth to establish first contact and somebody told me about the Crimson Tide, I'd be like, "Wait, and how many other teams are playing? With the same money? And they win every year? That's some Lance Armstrong shit right there. Them boys is cheatin'."

That's what I'm trying to say here - we were paying players. Butchie Wallace drove an Escalade. You want Doc to recruit more Butchie Wallaces? Get him some Escalades.

Some may know the gory details but wasn’t it Marshall Reynolds companies that paid the players more than normal for the jobs they were “given”.
And did this mops for props program get kids in here that we can say without a doubt made the difference between a victory and a loss?
I don’t recall getting any high rated superstar player to come here because we paid them. Did we?
I honestly don’t recall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT