ADVERTISEMENT

Group of six?

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007
Pete Thamel is reporting that the WAC will reform as a I-AA football league made up of: Abilene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston, Stephen F. Austin. Southern Utah, Tarleton State and Dixie State, with two more members TBA. Will start play this year and will work to be a I-A "group of 6" conference within five or six years, joined by New Mexico State, which is an orphan, playing as a I-A independent.

If this happens, we should kick UTEP to the curb, if not all the Texas schools.

Reactions: HerdFan2018
Would be pretty interesting to see if UTEP would voluntarily head that direction (a new league where they could be competitive and save money). North Texas would be the other team I would send them.

Drop UTEP and NT... Add App State and Coastal to CUSA.

• Haha
Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
G5 would be wise to follow P5's lead and create its own arbitrary line of demarkation that likewise establishes an even lower division, and relegates every program below that line to it.

Already G5 runs the entire spectrum from schools who are superior to the bottom 10% of P5 to schools who are ostensibly FCS.

Every year, only one G5 team gets to play for anything, and all that team is playing for is to be the name the announcers say over and over again as they say, "Man, this ______ team really proves the G5s can hang with the big boys, and that we shouldn't spend all season saying otherwise......which we will of course again do all next season to whatever team replaces this one."

New G5 in 5-6 years? So, add 2-3 years to that, so around 2030 this new conference will also pass up C-USA.

Need to do the math here, and figure out if I'll be dead by then. If not, that's sure to place the banana peel by the grave.

ADVERTISEMENT