ADVERTISEMENT

Hail to the King?

WV_Celt

Silver Buffalo
Jul 27, 2014
Barboursville
So, let's look at a positive for a change.

Tyler King went off in the second half of last weekends game, with most of his damage coming in the fourth. Could this be the beginning of a rushing attack that's been missing since Rock Head graduated? I'm excited to see what he can do going forward.

This could turn out to be a strong positive for our rushing attack, but keep in mind our offense line has to be at there all time best every snap for anyone to gain yards... we are a well conditioned team, the end of the Kent game showed me that. So between a well conditioned team, a very eager new kid on the block, and a worn out beat Kent state defense our NEW rushing attack could be there or we just took advantage of the situation.... but I think all of our running back are very good and I like the attitude they play with, and I hope that was the start of something positive in the rushing department.

This is my opinionated statement with no substance. Sorry I didn't list actual facts but I thought everyone would enjoy my safe soft reply..

My real answer that I'm sure josh wants to hear is..... our rushing game only gained traction cause bill leggs idea was to lull the defense for three quarters and just when they thought, wow this offense keeps running the same crap over and over again, he throws in a fresh set of legs and hands him the ball... and TOTALLY REDEEMED HIMSELF!!!!!!! Such a smart offensive coordinator he is.......

Reactions: WV_Celt
IMO, key to how successful our rushing attack will be regardless of whom is in the backfield with Litton will be getting some of our veteran injured linemen back. Hopefully, one or more of them will be available next week in Cincy. I'm sure, however, Doc and staff will be very tight lipped re: their status. Keep the Bearcats guessing and no reason to give them any information on these players prior to game time.

You gotta give him another game or two before making any judgments, good or bad. You can't overlook the fact that he came in fresh against a defense that had been out there all game, and his big TD run came after the result of the game had essentially been decided. At the same time, it was his first live action in years, and he looked good for a guy getting his first D-I carries.

Our problem at HB is we have a room full of guys who all have a strength and a weakness, but nobody who is the all-around answer. Keion Davis is an incredibly fast straight-line runner, who can rip off big gains so long as the hole is big enough, but if someone is waiting on the second level, it stops his momentum and he struggles to evade/adjust. Anthony Anderson is a big back, a wrecking ball you throw right at the d-line, but is never going to outrun anybody. Trey Rodriguez is shifty, but he's either too much in his own head or has really poor field vision, because he can't seem to find a line.

Hopefully King can emerge and stay healthy and be that all-around back. I am usually one to say its presumptuous to imply we know something as fans that Bill Legg doesn't know as a coach, but one thing he does that baffles me is the seemingly random way in which the backs are used. Every once in a while, you'll see Anderson in a short yardage situation, but sometimes it feels like they just have bingo balls churning next to the Gatorade cooler, and whoever Doris pulls out of the trap is who goes into the game.

This could turn out to be a strong positive for our rushing attack, but keep in mind our offense line has to be at there all time best every snap for anyone to gain yards... we are a well conditioned team, the end of the Kent game showed me that. So between a well conditioned team, a very eager new kid on the block, and a worn out beat Kent state defense our NEW rushing attack could be there or we just took advantage of the situation.... but I think all of our running back are very good and I like the attitude they play with, and I hope that was the start of something positive in the rushing department.

This is my opinionated statement with no substance. Sorry I didn't list actual facts but I thought everyone would enjoy my safe soft reply..

My real answer that I'm sure josh wants to hear is..... our rushing game only gained traction cause bill leggs idea was to lull the defense for three quarters and just when they thought, wow this offense keeps running the same crap over and over again, he throws in a fresh set of legs and hands him the ball... and TOTALLY REDEEMED HIMSELF!!!!!!! Such a smart offensive coordinator he is.......

That last paragraph is some good humor. Thanks for the chuckle.

It will be interesting to see what we do with Cinci... Another team with a good defense but a weak offense... Conventional wisdom would be to go with what worked last week (King at tailback in the single back set, or with Anderson at FB in short yardage). But conventional wisdom seems to be an issue at times within our offense.

I'd expect another 20-17 type of game, which is honestly okay with me as long as we end up with the 20.

You gotta give him another game or two before making any judgments, good or bad. You can't overlook the fact that he came in fresh against a defense that had been out there all game, and his big TD run came after the result of the game had essentially been decided. At the same time, it was his first live action in years, and he looked good for a guy getting his first D-I carries.

Our problem at HB is we have a room full of guys who all have a strength and a weakness, but nobody who is the all-around answer. Keion Davis is an incredibly fast straight-line runner, who can rip off big gains so long as the hole is big enough, but if someone is waiting on the second level, it stops his momentum and he struggles to evade/adjust. Anthony Anderson is a big back, a wrecking ball you throw right at the d-line, but is never going to outrun anybody. Trey Rodriguez is shifty, but he's either too much in his own head or has really poor field vision, because he can't seem to find a line.

Hopefully King can emerge and stay healthy and be that all-around back. I am usually one to say its presumptuous to imply we know something as fans that Bill Legg doesn't know as a coach, but one thing he does that baffles me is the seemingly random way in which the backs are used. Every once in a while, you'll see Anderson in a short yardage situation, but sometimes it feels like they just have bingo balls churning next to the Gatorade cooler, and whoever Doris pulls out of the trap is who goes into the game.
V05q3.gif

Well, since wd don't have Rockhead anymore, who basically was all 3 into one, this may be better since it will give us more depth and different looks.

Reactions: herdalicious

This is exactly the way I feel, especially when we were trying to get a first down on 3rd and short and pounding T-Rod up the middle instead of Anderson. There's a reason why you don't play a round of golf with only club. You let the club do the work based on the yardage needed.

IMO, key to how successful our rushing attack will be regardless of whom is in the backfield with Litton will be getting some of our veteran injured linemen back. Hopefully, one or more of them will be available next week in Cincy. I'm sure, however, Doc and staff will be very tight lipped re: their status. Keep the Bearcats guessing and no reason to give them any information on these players prior to game time.

Oh, you know Chuck Landon will use his insider sources to gain as much info as he can for many reasons; Being he just likes to stir stuff up, breaking the story first, or hoping the info can help Cincy to beat Marshall so he can have more to rag on Doc with...
However, it'll come out as accurate as using a free translator app while conversing with a native foreigner.

Cincy gave up almost 600 yards on the ground... I would imagine that King, Davis and Anderson will all get some touches with King carrying the majority of the time.

Any word on who will be playing on the offensive line? It would be nice to get a couple of the more experienced guys back for this week.

Something to consider more...its not like Cincy wasn't aware Navy runs the ball. Navy runs it an insane amount...yes, that Triple Option is damn tough to prepare for, but no way should Cincy have been that bad against it.
Hopefully Marshall really exposes this issue with Cincy and runs all over them.

Something to consider more...its not like Cincy wasn't aware Navy runs the ball. Navy runs it an insane amount...yes, that Triple Option is damn tough to prepare for, but no way should Cincy have been that bad against it.
Hopefully Marshall really exposes this issue with Cincy and runs all over them.

I agree I hope we run all over them, but we have had about 1 quarter of a good rush attack, against a beat and wore out defense. But again I hope we find a way ( bill legg ) to run all over them.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT