ADVERTISEMENT

Hamrick and Baseball Facility

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Basically MH now has one more year to try to get the money to build the long, long, way past due, baseball facility. Not sure where he will find the $$$. None from the state since they imposed a $6 million dollar budget cut upon Marshall this year. Big donor Chris Cline sadly passed in helicopter crash. So who’s left? Hoops and Justice? Not sure MH can pull this one off. For certain there are coaches who will not miss him and men’s basketball is one.

Dumbest statement I have ever read. It’s the other way around, the BOG has just ran off several large donors they will never be able to replace.
No that’s a dumber statement. In case you are unaware the BOG is made up of pro-Marshall people and I don’t think the “big” donors are not goi g to give anymore. Do you give because MH asks or do you give because Marshall needs you?

You may want to go look at the make up of the BOG and how many have no prior tie to MU. In fact the chairman is an Air Force Acad grad. Another a UK grad lobbyist from Chas. As far as my giving I give because I want to, and that may change, because of the BOG, and yes there are a lot of behind the scenes talking/ emails by people who give a ton of $$$ about the overreach of this BOG and are not happy. A board is supposed to set policy - this board wants to govern everyday activities. That is why Gilbert said screw this and decided to “retire”. Just watch. You are not going to like it.

Josh we have heard this before under previous ADs (before your time) who made unpopular changes that upset the fan base and people would say “not giving another cent”. Time will tell.

Fact is, the chances of MU having a baseball park just went from 50-50 to 90-10 against. MH is a good fund raiser, but fund raising is really a QPQ, and MH will be gone and thus really has nothing to offer potential donors, large or small.

It is time to consider dropping the sport and, since we are at the NCAA minimum for men's sports to be in Division I, what to add. Wrestling would make the most sense.

i don't know if bowling is considered a sanctioned sport but if it is then I say that would be a perfect sport to replace baseball.

It is time to consider dropping the sport and, since we are at the NCAA minimum for men's sports to be in Division I, what to add. Wrestling would make the most sense.

From wiki:

Schools must field teams in at least seven sports for men and seven for women or six for men and eight for women, with at least two team sports for each gender. Teams that include both men and women are counted as men's sports for the purposes of sponsorship counting.

DI college wrestling has lost almost half of its programs since 1982.

A personal side note - I wonder how much Title IX has effected US men's performances in the Olympic sports?

Basically MH now has one more year to try to get the money to build the long, long, way past due, baseball facility. Not sure where he will find the $$$. None from the state since they imposed a $6 million dollar budget cut upon Marshall this year. Big donor Chris Cline sadly passed in helicopter crash. So who’s left? Hoops and Justice? Not sure MH can pull this one off. For certain there are coaches who will not miss him and men’s basketball is one.
Jim Justice ? He please does he have an money left?? At last count he owes $ 1.1 Billion

Reactions: putnam green
i don't know if bowling is considered a sanctioned sport but if it is then I say that would be a perfect sport to replace baseball.
It is a big college sport. I would drop womens basketball and pick up bowing.
Women’s bball is a much bigger drain than baseball.

I only have one word for people that pull money from the school because their guy didn’t get this or that - LOSER!
Twolf you and I have been around Marshall for a long time. We would have a lot of money if every time somebody says well I give zillions of dollars and if this doesn’t happen I’m stopping. Pardon me while I eye roll.

The fact they say it’s a 7 figure donor leads me to call BS because Marshall doesn’t even have very many 7 figure donors, what do we have 4 or 5? So it wouldn’t be that tough to figure out who it is. Secondly there is not a chance that the BOG did not talk to our 7 figure donors and let them know what was happening and get their support. People really think we have a governing body that would alienate a 7 figure donor over an AD? I don’t see it happening unless they had a new 7 figure donor to take that ones place.

Mike Hamrick was a solid AD( not a miracle worker) let’s thank him for the good that he did and let him move on gracefully. Let’s hope we get an AD who can take the reigns and lead Marshall to something even better.

You may want to go look at the make up of the BOG and how many have no prior tie to MU. In fact the chairman is an Air Force Acad grad. Another a UK grad lobbyist from Chas. As far as my giving I give because I want to, and that may change, because of the BOG, and yes there are a lot of behind the scenes talking/ emails by people who give a ton of $$$ about the overreach of this BOG and are not happy. A board is supposed to set policy - this board wants to govern everyday activities. That is why Gilbert said screw this and decided to “retire”. Just watch. You are not going to like it.

just because Pat Ferrell went to the AFA (where he graduated #1 in his class, then flew jets where he was rated the top pilot in both air to air and air to ground combat, then got his masters from the Fuqua Business School at Duke, where is was again top of his class) doesn’t mean he doesn’t have ties to Marshall and Huntington, where he grew up. He’s one of the smartest and driven people I’ve met and an exceptionally nice guy.

I think it's the relationship that Mike has with that person as well as another former employee of the athletic program.
Time will tell Josh. You give to the university - not the man. Yes he may ask - and so nay the next. It comes down to the individual and if they are really so upset they choose not to give or be practical and see who the next AD is and then decide if they wish to continue donating.

Why not? Just switching out women’s sports? Would it be a scholarship numbers issue?
Women’s basketball is the largest female sport we have along with volleyball followed by swimming and tennis. Not going to see basketball dropped IMO.

we need guys like Justice money not his $0.02! If he aint got no money why mess with him at all.
We agree on that. I have no admiration for donors who try to strong arm decisions based on what they give/want. He shouldn't be involved. jmo

No that’s a dumber statement. In case you are unaware the BOG is made up of pro-Marshall people and I don’t think the “big” donors are not goi g to give anymore. Do you give because MH asks or do you give because Marshall needs you?
You can be pro-Marshall and still have zero clue regarding whats best for it.
How many on here are pro-Marshall but would admit they'd be in over their heads if they tried the AD gig?

Reactions: Elkview
From wiki:

Schools must field teams in at least seven sports for men and seven for women or six for men and eight for women, with at least two team sports for each gender. Teams that include both men and women are counted as men's sports for the purposes of sponsorship counting.

DI college wrestling has lost almost half of its programs since 1982.

A personal side note - I wonder how much Title IX has effected US men's performances in the Olympic sports?
To your question...I wouldn't say much since the Pac-12 is basically the Olympic training conference.

Fact is, the chances of MU having a baseball park just went from 50-50 to 90-10 against. MH is a good fund raiser, but fund raising is really a QPQ, and MH will be gone and thus really has nothing to offer potential donors, large or small.

It is time to consider dropping the sport and, since we are at the NCAA minimum for .

Interesting that last night on the news, MH told Keith Morehouse that he expects multiple big donors to come on board in the next few months regarding the baseball project. We'll see if that comes to fruition.

Your answer is to drop the sport! We should just drop out of the conference too. CUSA has had some success in baseball and there is no reason Marshall cannot join them. I was promised a baseball stadium when I was recruited in 1975, and I'll be damned if I give up now.

Reactions: goherd73
Your answer is to drop the sport! We should just drop out of the conference too. CUSA has had some success in baseball and there is no reason Marshall cannot join them. I was promised a baseball stadium when I was recruited in 1975, and I'll be damned if I give up now.
CUSA ha 4 teams out of 64 in the CWS.

How many do you think make it to the CWS, or the regionals for that matter. We did it and we practiced with taped up baseballs. Give them proper equipment and give them the chance.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Interesting that last night on the news, MH told Keith Morehouse that he expects multiple big donors to come on board in the next few months regarding the baseball project. We'll see if that comes to fruition.
That would be a really embarrassing thing for the MU BoG...seeing Hamrick had been able to raise funds for a project absolutely NOBODY believed nor thought could have been done, even when he really doesn't need to be involved anymore...and they let him walk away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT