ADVERTISEMENT

Hamrick Done

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
This from President Gilbert today:
Dear Marshall students, faculty and staff,

This message is to inform the university community that long-time athletic director Mike Hamrick will be stepping down June 30 to assume a new role here at Marshall.

Mike has done an excellent job as athletic director and I am disappointed he is no longer able to serve in that capacity.

On July 1, Mike will assume the role of special assistant to the president for one year, where he will be focused on fundraising and facilities planning for the previously announced baseball stadium project.

I have appointed Jeff O’Malley, associate director of athletics and chief of staff, to serve as interim athletic director, effective July 1.This interim appointment will permit the university’s next president to participate in the selection process for a new athletic director.

Jeff is an outstanding athletic administrator and someone who is highly capable of directing our athletic department in an interim basis over the next year or more. I look forward to working with him to continue the process of planning for a baseball stadium and other additions and improvements in athletics. When the next president starts a search for a permanent athletic director, I have indicated to Jeff that he will be allowed to apply if he is interested.

Please join me in welcoming Mike and Jeff to their new roles.

Sincerely,

Jerome A. Gilbert, Ph.D.

President

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
This from President Gilbert today:
Dear Marshall students, faculty and staff,

This message is to inform the university community that long-time athletic director Mike Hamrick will be stepping down June 30 to assume a new role here at Marshall.

Mike has done an excellent job as athletic director and I am disappointed he is no longer able to serve in that capacity.

On July 1, Mike will assume the role of special assistant to the president for one year, where he will be focused on fundraising and facilities planning for the previously announced baseball stadium project.

I have appointed Jeff O’Malley, associate director of athletics and chief of staff, to serve as interim athletic director, effective July 1.This interim appointment will permit the university’s next president to participate in the selection process for a new athletic director.

Jeff is an outstanding athletic administrator and someone who is highly capable of directing our athletic department in an interim basis over the next year or more. I look forward to working with him to continue the process of planning for a baseball stadium and other additions and improvements in athletics. When the next president starts a search for a permanent athletic director, I have indicated to Jeff that he will be allowed to apply if he is interested.

Please join me in welcoming Mike and Jeff to their new roles.

Sincerely,

Jerome A. Gilbert, Ph.D.

President

Whoever made this decision has rocks for brains. Mike has done a remarkable job as AD. Let's not sugar coat this announcement. I know his contract is up at the end of the month, but he was forced out of the athletic department, plain and simple. Best wishes to Mike Hamrick in his new position.

So most of the BOG was not happy with Mike as AD where he spearheaded fundraising drives among other things, thus they did not extend him. But wait, Marshall NEEDS somebody to spearhead the drive for the baseball stadium that was interrupted by covid. So, who do they call? Mike Hamrick, of course, who has done more than any other person in Marshall history to raise funds and build facilities. It's like "we don't want you but do us a favor and help us out. We're in a tight spot." Where did these people get their sense of reasoning?

Wouldn’t it be refreshing for a change to have a press release that skips the niceties and tells the truth?

“Mike Hamrick was terminated today because he stepped on the wrong toes and pissed off the wrong people. He did a few good things with facilities so we will give him a pity position for a year. We anticipate the new Director won’t be much of an improvement, but at least he will be in tight with the people who really run things in our State.”

The AD position may not be filled due to needing the money to pay the soccer coach. Unprecedented in NCAA history. Lols.

Wouldn’t it be refreshing for a change to have a press release that skips the niceties and tells the truth?

“Mike Hamrick was terminated today because he stepped on the wrong toes and pissed off the wrong people. He did a few good things with facilities so we will give him a pity position for a year. We anticipate the new Director won’t be much of an improvement, but at least he will be in tight with the people who really run things in our State.”
Your response says it better than mine did.

Mike improved Herd sports in multiple areas, most notably soccer. Hired coaches who have been successful on the field/court/pitch. Best we’ve had in our lifetimes imo. Hope the BoG doesn’t screw up hiring the next gal……

I’m not local and not a big donor so I don’t have any first hand info, but from what I have heard the main complaint with Hamrick was his attitude toward fans and all but the highest donor base. He also seemed to either be part of or complicit in the alienation of former athletes.

I think he has done some really good things as far as facilities go. He gets credit for hiring DD and Grassi and Doc (which I think was a good hire at the time but just stayed too long).

I don’t like the animosity between Gilbert and the BOG. I don’t want the BOG to just pick someone among their good ol’ boy list who has no clue what he/she is doing. If Huff turns out to be a great coach the new AD is going to be shopping for a new FB coach early in their tenure.

Reactions: AmeriKenny
Read between the lines.

This interim appointment will permit the university’s next president to participate in the selection process for a new athletic director.

MU president's searches generally have a year or more of an interim fill in. I have heard nothing that says they are really working on this. This is not going to be a direct transfer of power like in politics or the military. So it will probably be 23 before we get a president. He, or she, SHOULD have a lot more important things to do than athletics, so we are looking at 24 or 25.

Which brings us to who is really running things. Danny D'Antoni. The de facto AD, and basketball coach. Answering to the de facto president, Patrick Ferrell.

I’m not local and not a big donor so I don’t have any first hand info, but from what I have heard the main complaint with Hamrick was his attitude toward fans and all but the highest donor base. He also seemed to either be part of or complicit in the alienation of former athletes.

I think he has done some really good things as far as facilities go. He gets credit for hiring DD and Grassi and Doc (which I think was a good hire at the time but just stayed too long).

I don’t like the animosity between Gilbert and the BOG. I don’t want the BOG to just pick someone among their good ol’ boy list who has no clue what he/she is doing. If Huff turns out to be a great coach the new AD is going to be shopping for a new FB coach early in their tenure.
He didn't want to hire Danny. He did it due to pressure and frustration. They have never gotten along

Last edited:
He didn't want to hire Danny. He did it due to pressure and frustration. They have gotten along
I heard that a lot more around the ncaa tourney win. Typical DD seasons most don’t bring that up or push it

Read between the lines.

This interim appointment will permit the university’s next president to participate in the selection process for a new athletic director.

MU president's searches generally have a year or more of an interim fill in. I have heard nothing that says they are really working on this. This is not going to be a direct transfer of power like in politics or the military. So it will probably be 23 before we get a president. He, or she, SHOULD have a lot more important things to do than athletics, so we are looking at 24 or 25.

Which brings us to who is really running things. Danny D'Antoni. The de facto AD, and basketball coach. Answering to the de facto president, Patrick Ferrell.
Who is Patrick Ferrell? Even an alum?

This and the fact Hamrick backed the wrong horse in the football coaching search twice. Doc and Lambert.

Reactions: Elkview
So..... An AD's contract should be renewed despite not supporting either the MBB coach or the hiring of the new football coach? He needed to be renewed because he "led" the fundraising for an indoor football practice facility (Cline & Pennington), oversaw the buildout of women's softball and soccer facilities?

Which brings us to who is really running things. Danny D'Antoni.
tenor.gif

So..... An AD's contract should be renewed despite not supporting either the MBB coach or the hiring of the new football coach? He needed to be renewed because he "led" the fundraising for an indoor football practice facility (Cline & Pennington), oversaw the buildout of women's softball and soccer facilities?
It’s called politics.

Hamricks job was to raise monies for Marshall athletics. He did ok with that

He failed at fan support, keeping a coach waaay too long that almost destroyed football progress, shutting out former players and refused to look at the basketball side. So hell no he did not do the complete job he was hired to do!!
Don’ let the door knob get hung in your arse on the way out!!!!

Bottom line. Coach Huff will not be here after his contract is up. We are about to see success like never before with Huff. Then some big money University will buy his contract out.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT