ADVERTISEMENT

Hanging Arm Test

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
As kids, you (or female classmates) probably did the hanging arm flex test. When on Fremont Street, one of the booths had a $200 challenge. If a guy could hang (not flexed, simply hang) from a bar for two minutes, he would win $200. If a woman could do it for 1:40, she'd win $200.

Entry was $20 each.

I sat there and watched about a dozen people try it, and the maximum time I saw was 1:08. I had no idea how long I'd be able to do it, so I tried it after my arm workout yesterday. I made the GF try it, too. The thicker and slicker the bar, the harder it likely is.

How long do you think you could hang from a bar with both hands? The hands can face either way, but they both have to be facing the same way. The guy in the video did it for 1:04:

Two minutes is tough. Don’t think I could do it. Coincidentally, my kids have been wanting to do this very thing on their monkey bars, so I have been timing them this week. They have made a competition out of it. My son, who is 8, made it to about 1:30 or so. My daughter, who just turned 5, made it just over one minute.

I'd pay murox's $20.00 entry fee, if he would split the winnings with me, because I bet he could do it.

Agreed. As Big Dummy showed, people with the build of a 12 year old girl tend to do very well in this event. My 103 lbs. GF was able to do 1:56 in her first try.

The Fremont Experience is...uh...different. It really attracts a different element. But I admit I had fun there. I could watch those spray can painters all day. I wouldn’t buy any of the pictures mind you, but they’re fun to watch. I’m more into the cheap prime rib at Tony Roma’s than anything.

I bet these elite rock climbers could do it while whistling a tune. If Adam Ondra or Alex Honnold walked up to try it, would the booth operator recognize them? And if he did, would he not let them try?

The GF is a rock climber. I think that played a big part in why she was able to last almost two minutes in her first attempt trying it. From what I've read, like everything else, practicing and training on it for a couple of months leads to big jumps in times. I want to practice it for a month and then see if I can do 2:30 before I try it in Vegas.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
fat-arm-flab.jpg.cf.jpg
Honestly...when I read the title of this thread, this is what I envisioned. I thought the “hanging arm test” was something rifle would make a girl do before deciding to bang her.

Is there no recorded time on rifle's bar hang time or was he just hanging around a bar.

Is there no recorded time on rifle's bar hang time or was he just hanging around a bar.

I've had a lot of people obsessed with me over the years. You're quickly moving up the leaderboards. It may end up being the first time in your life where you are a winner.

ADVERTISEMENT