ADVERTISEMENT

Helmets

Nov 23, 2014
Ashland
Will we ever get Chrome helmets are something different for big games or bowl games? Figured if we would have made the big six, Nike would have had us some new uniforms. Just wondering. Have seen some pretty neat looking Marshall helmets on the net the past few years.

No thanks for chrome. Wouldn't have minded seeing a black or Kelly green helmet (with green pants) for the bowl game. However, white helmets, white jerseys and white pants are my favorite combination.

Reactions: MarshallManiac
Chrome helmets would look good with the all-green unis but not with the white. I would not mind a reboot of the green helmets if we could actually find a way to make them match the uniform this time around.

Originally posted by MARSHALL77:
To me the chrome helmets look good for some teams...but not us..tradition means a ton ( at least to me) ,. will go to my grave loving white helmets with the kelly green "M" along with at certain times adding the "75"

Just a traditionalist for sure.
Weve only had that since the late 80s or early 90s.

Originally posted by GeauxHerd:

Originally posted by MARSHALL77:
To me the chrome helmets look good for some teams...but not us..tradition means a ton ( at least to me) ,. will go to my grave loving white helmets with the kelly green "M" along with at certain times adding the "75"

Weve only had that since the late 80s or early 90s.
Well that's approx. 25 years now which is a pretty good tradition if you ask me. Plus I doubt you could point to a single look we've used longer over the years.

Did you by chance see the UNC players getting their helmets before the Duke game? The kids went crazy. I love the 75 on the helmet during a Nov. game. I'm not sure how much tradition 18-23 years have for uniforms. I just thought it would be great for the players to have a helmet for big games. They would go crazy just like the UNC players did. It doesn't have to be Crome. Kelly green, maybe a Kelly green face mask on a white helmet.

Originally posted by GolfBCC:
I'm not sure how much tradition 18-23 years have for uniforms.
Totally agree.....our unis have changes over the years, yet some of our fans act like we're Penn State and have some untouchable uniform design.

We aren't Penn state or Alabama, heck even ND have an alternate uniform. We don't have a "tradition". I don't think anyone is suggesting we wear them every game. But as an alternate. I don't see how that is changing your tradition. It would be a couple games a year at most.

Marshall has a great brand and up until this year, the unis were awesome. Unlike a lot of schools other than some of the traditional powers, when you see the white helmet with the block M you know who is on the field. Changing uniforms and helmets to please kids is overrated. Many want to go to the pros where brands thrive.

Totally agree.

Reactions: JC102
"Originally posted by MARSHALL77:

Just a traditionalist for sure."
[/QUOTE]"Weve only had that since the late 80s or early 90s."

GeauxHerd is on the money: The block 'M' came back in 1990. I had thought it was earlier but I was way off. To see Marshall helmet designs over the years follow this link: http://media.herald-dispatch.com/mucrash/gallery_view.php?id=607130801

Originally posted by Marshall Faithful:

"Originally posted by MARSHALL77:

Just a traditionalist for sure."
"Weve only had that since the late 80s or early 90s."

GeauxHerd is on the money: The block 'M' came back in 1990. I had thought it was earlier but I was way off. To see Marshall helmet designs over the years follow this link: http://media.herald-dispatch.com/mucrash/gallery_view.php?id=607130801

[/QUOTE]
Jim D. brought the M back. Was on staff at that point and it was cool to be involved in the process. One of the proposed logos was akin to the Buffalo Bills helmet of the era (the stripes leading to the charging buffalo) but Jim had just come from Oklahoma and thought it looked too much like Colorado.

In my five seasons as a student manager, we never had exactly the same helmet (there were small variations in 90,91, 92 having to do with labels over facemask and on the neck pad).

I agree that multiple uniforms to please kids is vastly over-rated. Anybody that goes to a particular school, especially at our level, because of some goofy crome helment or black jerseys, or lime green shoes or whatever is nutty. I've never seen anybody on TV say they went here or there because of uniforms.

Rather, in a world where we get, if that, 4 seconds on the national programs like SC, people really need to see "hey, that is Marshall" from that 4 seconds. Not "who is that?" And, I still think that there are kids that know enough to dream of wearing the same uniform as their childhood heroes.

Green and White. Not chrome. Not black. Not silver. Not yellow. Green and white. Kelly Green.

Reactions: EastsideofWestside
"Jim D. brought the M back. Was on staff at that point and it was cool to be involved in the process. One of the proposed logos was akin to the Buffalo Bills helmet of the era (the stripes leading to the charging buffalo) but Jim had just come from Oklahoma and thought it looked too much like Colorado.

In my five seasons as a student manager, we never had exactly the same helmet (there were small variations in 90,91, 92 having to do with labels over facemask and on the neck pad)."

Cool history. Thank you OverHerd!

Originally posted by The Real SamC:
I agree that multiple uniforms to please kids is vastly over-rated. Anybody that goes to a particular school, especially at our level, because of some goofy crome helment or black jerseys, or lime green shoes or whatever is nutty. I've never seen anybody on TV say they went here or there because of uniforms.

Rather, in a world where we get, if that, 4 seconds on the national programs like SC, people really need to see "hey, that is Marshall" from that 4 seconds. Not "who is that?" And, I still think that there are kids that know enough to dream of wearing the same uniform as their childhood heroes.

Green and White. Not chrome. Not black. Not silver. Not yellow. Green and white. Kelly Green.
On this, I agree with you 100%.

I've always loved looking at different teams uniforms and looks, especially in football. I've always kept track of it. While I will say that I LOVE Marshall's current uniform combination, especially the helmet, we could use a nice, sleek-looking alternate. Marshall, by no means, have had a traditional look. We've actually had a TON of different uniform changes in our history, especially with the helmet. If Marshall could find out a way to have a nice uniform without looking goofy, I'd be a nice change of pace and recruits die for it.

I too am a big fan of the block "M" helmets. They are clean and clutter free. If an alt helmet is on the table for discussion, I would opt for possibly one in matte black. I have never been a fan of the chrome helmet look. BTW I thought the away unis we wore at NC State last year looked great!

597016d680ce7.image.jpg

Reactions: ToesMU and jbherd
Herd-in-ATL, I agree regarding the away unis at NC State and the chrome helmets are overrated.

I wouldn't mind seeing a black helmet, jersey and pants combo ONLY if it's worn for the home game closest to the the anniversary of the crash. I see it as a way to pay respect to those lost.

597016d680ce7.image.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Herd-in-ATL
I would love to see a green chromatic helmet. I believe Baylor had one a couple years ago. As far as "tradition" goes. We have never really kept a helmet format for all that long. Let's take a look from 1959 on when we first started to see the appearance for a graphic. We have never had a helmet design longer than 11 seasons. We've changed the font of the "M", we've changed the logo, and we've changed the color. We've had green 7 times, silver 5 times (4 iterations from 1949-1955), and we've even seen yellow.

http://media.herald-dispatch.com/mucrash/gallery_view.php?id=607130801&i=1

1959-61
15.jpg

16.jpg

1963-64
17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

1966-67
20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

1972-74
25.jpg

26.jpg

1977-82
28.jpg

29.jpg

1984-85
30.jpg

1986-88
31.jpg

1990-92
33.jpg

1993-2004
34.jpg

2005-2013
35.jpg

Reactions: chuck1069
Good to see you Bleeds....thought you had being abducted by little green men (and not Marshall green either).

I decided to take a break from the message boards for a while.
sounds good. Hope you are back for football. Discussions on here are fun as long as we don't take them to serious.

I agree with the green chromatic look. Louisville’s helmets were sharp last year.

I wish we had like a grey and Kelly combo with a flat grey helmet and green M

Why was this rug up lol

Snorting Bison, Young Thundering Herd helmet all the way. Although I think the current helmet is damn near perfect.

Did you by chance see the UNC players getting their helmets before the Duke game? The kids went crazy. I love the 75 on the helmet during a Nov. game. I'm not sure how much tradition 18-23 years have for uniforms. I just thought it would be great for the players to have a helmet for big games. They would go crazy just like the UNC players did. It doesn't have to be Crome. Kelly green, maybe a Kelly green face mask on a white helmet.
Your point. Players have no uniform tradition. They want a different one every week. Funny how traditional powers, for the most part, don't enter the uniform of the week frenzy. Penn State, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Alabama.

Your point. Players have no uniform tradition. They want a different one every week. Funny how traditional powers, for the most part, don't enter the uniform of the week frenzy. Penn State, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Alabama.
Huh? All of the teams you mentioned have sported alternate uniforms recently. Maybe not a new one every week but I think only Oregon jas done that. o_O

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT