ADVERTISEMENT

Henderson Center Upgrade

From WSAZ...

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. Marshall Athletics and IMG College today announced the installation of a $1 million state-of-the-art, Daktronics center hung videoboard and basket stanchion displays in the Cam Henderson Center for the 2018-19 basketball season.

The Marshall men’s basketball program posted an unprecedented 2017-18 campaign (25-11), snapping the Thundering Herd’s 31-year NCAA Tournament drought in a big way as it defeated Wichita State 81-75 in first-round action. That victory came on the heels of capturing the 2018 Conference USA Tournament title in Frisco, Texas.

“This is another significant step in the continuing effort to upgrade the Henderson Center,” said Marshall Director of Athletics Mike Hamrick. “This is an exciting development for our basketball and volleyball programs and one that everyone in the #HerdFamily richly deserves.”

IMG College is the exclusive multimedia rights holder for Marshall Athletics.

http://www.wsaz.com/content/sports/Marshall-announces-new-video-board-project-481540921.html

Reactions: jmac95
The way these deals usually work is that either IMG or the scoreboard company give the scoreboard to the school in return for being able to sell the ad space in the venue for a number of years. At the end of the period we can reclaim the ad space or trade in for yet another new board. IIRC, the football board should be about paid off.

The way these deals usually work is that either IMG or the scoreboard company give the scoreboard to the school in return for being able to sell the ad space in the venue for a number of years. At the end of the period we can reclaim the ad space or trade in for yet another new board. IIRC, the football board should be about paid off.
That is also the way we got the video board in the Cam we currently use. IMG gets the advertising money

Something I noticed at the Spring game - the M in north endzone (against the Shewey) has been bleached by the sun to where its a totally different color than the one in the south endzone. I wonder if its possible to paint them.

From WSAZ...

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. Marshall Athletics and IMG College today announced the installation of a $1 million state-of-the-art, Daktronics center hung videoboard and basket stanchion displays in the Cam Henderson Center for the 2018-19 basketball season.

The Marshall men’s basketball program posted an unprecedented 2017-18 campaign (25-11), snapping the Thundering Herd’s 31-year NCAA Tournament drought in a big way as it defeated Wichita State 81-75 in first-round action. That victory came on the heels of capturing the 2018 Conference USA Tournament title in Frisco, Texas.

“This is another significant step in the continuing effort to upgrade the Henderson Center,” said Marshall Director of Athletics Mike Hamrick. “This is an exciting development for our basketball and volleyball programs and one that everyone in the #HerdFamily richly deserves.”

IMG College is the exclusive multimedia rights holder for Marshall Athletics.

http://www.wsaz.com/content/sports/Marshall-announces-new-video-board-project-481540921.html

What year was The Cam updated with central air conditioning? Yeah===Right!!!!

HerdZilla22

AC in the HC? What a novel idea zilla. That will happen when the new baseball facility opens. Oh wait, I’m 71 years old and that hasn’t happened yet either!

Reactions: ToesMU
The athletic dept. needs to consider putting in hand rails in the upper bowl. Extremely dangerous, especially for older folks.

I'm hearing it is very similar to VCU's board. If so, I am very pleased. I wish we had an arena like theirs. It's the best in CUSA

I'm hearing it is very similar to VCU's board. If so, I am very pleased. I wish we had an arena like theirs. It's the best in CUSA

Assume you meant ODU? :)

If so, I agree their arena and scoreboard are very nice:

maxresdefault.jpg

Something I noticed at the Spring game - the M in north endzone (against the Shewey) has been bleached by the sun to where its a totally different color than the one in the south endzone. I wonder if its possible to paint them.

Sadly I would say this won't happen. Our athletic department is a joke when it comes to little details. For instance, the field goal posts that were once yellow are now basically white from being bleached by the sun. We don't take care of things that we could easily take care of, I don't know if its lack of oversight or lack of funds. But something like painting the field goal posts is not lack of funds or manpower.

I don't think artificial turf takes paint well. Faded or stained sections have to be removed and new sections are woven in. I suspect a faded M will have to wait until the whole field is re-carpeted.

Anybody who has spoken to MH about the subject knows that if he had unlimited $$, the HC would be rubble in 10 minutes. He does not, and is going to do his best to keep/make for the first time the place acceptable. The next building effort will be some HC repairs, baseball, stadium updates and some other things.

Of all the political mistakes made by the local powers over the decades, the idiotic decision to build a separate white elephant civic center, a highly compromised (thanks, Jay) separate basketball arena, and to let the county/park board continue to operate the FH in competition for nearly 35 years, was not the smallest. Imagine if Huntington/Marshall c. 1975 had built a single building holding 12 or so chairbacks.

I don't think artificial turf takes paint well. Faded or stained sections have to be removed and new sections are woven in. I suspect a faded M will have to wait until the whole field is re-carpeted.
Its not part of the field - its an "M" that frames the scoreboard attached to the field house. It's been sitting in the sun now for about eight years, and it's showing it.

Anybody who has spoken to MH about the subject knows that if he had unlimited $$, the HC would be rubble in 10 minutes. He does not, and is going to do his best to keep/make for the first time the place acceptable. The next building effort will be some HC repairs, baseball, stadium updates and some other things.

Of all the political mistakes made by the local powers over the decades, the idiotic decision to build a separate white elephant civic center, a highly compromised (thanks, Jay) separate basketball arena, and to let the county/park board continue to operate the FH in competition for nearly 35 years, was not the smallest. Imagine if Huntington/Marshall c. 1975 had built a single building holding 12 or so chairbacks.

There was a period of time when Htgn had a 26,000 seat basketball arena. Sadly it was located at three separate addresses.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT