ADVERTISEMENT

Herd (College in General) Football and Corona Virus

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Can we honestly expect, given all the estimates and extended dates, to honestly expect to watch the Herd - let alone any college team, play ball this fall? For that matter even high school teams. One equalizer among all teams was the cancellation of spring practices.

Can we honestly expect, given all the estimates and extended dates, to honestly expect to watch the Herd - let alone any college team, play ball this fall? For that matter even high school teams. One equalizer among all teams was the cancellation of spring practices.

That's a good question that no one has an answer to. If this thing carries into August it will be tough. I wouldn't commit to an answer either way. Each has an equal chance of being the likely outcome right now.

Reactions: johns1124
If it carries on another two months, no one will be able to go, they'll be broke, out of a job. You can sure as hell kiss most season tix good bye. The economy will wreck millions more than the virus ever touches. Not to be cold hearted or cruel but that's the truth. Every life is worth saving but the cost will be huge to all. jmo.

If this thing and mass shutdowns through August we all maybe ****ed.

Last edited:
I'm still optimistic we will see football and the other fall sports... There's no way to know what the landscape of the pandemic will look like in two weeks, let alone several months.

And I agree with johns, if we don't see football, we are all going to be dealing with much much larger problems.

If it carries on another two months, no one will be able to go, they'll be broke, out of a job. You can sure as hell kiss most season tix good bye. The economy will wreck millions more than the virus ever touches. Not to be cold hearted or cruel but that's the truth. Every life is worth saving but the cost will be huge to all. jmo.

That's why the ticket office needs to just do away with season ticket renewals deadlines until August. Not sure how far out they need in order to determine which seats can be sold for individual tickets, but it should be the latest dates possible.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
If this thing and mass shutdowns to through August we all maybe ****ed.

I'm still optimistic we will see football and the other fall sports... There's no way to know what the landscape of the pandemic will look like in two weeks, let alone several months.

And I agree with johns, if we don't see football, we are all going to be dealing with much much larger problems.

With all the small business that have been shut down and travel industries being shut down we are already to a point that economic impact is going to surpass the virus numbers. If these shut downs go past April we could hit a depression that lasts for decades. The number of unemployment claims already filed are astronomical. I think Justice said today that we are up to 17,000+ processed.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Not really happy that I renewed on day 1. Can't imagine they will refund my money either

With all the small business that have been shut down and travel industries being shut down we are already to a point that economic impact is going to surpass the virus numbers. If these shut downs go past April we could hit a depression that lasts for decades. The number of unemployment claims already filed are astronomical. I think Justice said today that we are up to 17,000+ processed.

I saw a report the other day where an economist was catching hell because he posed the question... "How many trillions in losses are human lives worth?"

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
We don't know if the virus will go dormant in the summer months, only to return in the fall. It would be great if it did (slowing infections to the point we might catch our breath), but you will be hard pressed to find many academic institutions - who are already eating a giant bucket of shhh having to cancel school - willing to take the financial gamble of fielding athletics, knowing that suddenly it could all be wiped out.

bbneutralfan, I may be wrong, but I believe some, perhaps a lot, of schools in the South opened spring practice in February, perhaps early Feb., and got in several days, perhaps weeks of practice. Not sure if that includes CUSA schools like UAB, USM, the Texas and Florida schools.

I saw a report the other day where an economist was catching hell because he posed the question... "How many trillions in losses are human lives worth?"

Sounds like they have the moral high ground, but the don't. A depression or even a prolonged recession could cost a lot of lives. People losing their health insurance, people losing their homes, suicides, etc.

Once we get to the flattened curve we need pull up and go back to work. We can't extend this for the sake of it or out of fear.

It seems like the powers in Washington are starting to realize that we have to keep some balance between fighting the virus and maintaining some strength in the economy. Whatever Trump does, he will get criticized, but he is strong enough and savvy enough to keep the economy from falling off the cliff. My daughter has a small business, and she said the suspension of the payroll tax for the rest of the year would be the most effective way for her to keep her business going. Trump has pushed this, but has gotten resistance. Like others who have posted, I believe we will see the football season kick off on schedule. I plan to go to MU's opener in August.

ekal I sure hope you are right but to me it looks doubtful. I have reservations in Raleigh and tickets through a good friend of mine who is an ECU grad and major donor and he has heard that there is a strong possibility that game may not be played unless this Covid 19 is under control.

Even if they have college football, will there be anyone there to watch it? Not sure if I want to sit in close proximity to thousand of other fans.

Only way they will not have college football, is if they remote classes or cancel the fall semester. If kids are in classes close proximity, then makes no sense that they won't be in a stadium.

To me this is like a snow day. Say you are the superintendent of some school system, and it snows a little. You call off school, and a few disgruntled old men who complain about everything, complain. You don't and one bus hit a ditch and one kid gets a bloody nose and your career is fried. So you call off school.

That is where we are, only worldwide and 100000 times more important than a day of school. Not just Trump, but leaders of not only governments but businesses, including sports, worldwide, are in a quandary. At some point you have to understand that you just cannot shut the world down. Not only are millions out of work, but eventually the world is going to run out of stuff, and stuff a lot more important than toilet paper and sliced bread. At some point you just have to be a leader and restart society, knowing that the out-party and others self-appointed experts are going to cry and whine about it.

The world will be back in gear long before football season.

Long term effects are that the live gate is going to be down, not just because lots of folks have taken a financial hit, but because some over-reactors will just avoid crowds and travel for years, if not the rest of their lives.

To me this is like a snow day. Say you are the superintendent of some school system, and it snows a little. You call off school, and a few disgruntled old men who complain about everything, complain. You don't and one bus hit a ditch and one kid gets a bloody nose and your career is fried. So you call off school.

That is where we are, only worldwide and 100000 times more important than a day of school. Not just Trump, but leaders of not only governments but businesses, including sports, worldwide, are in a quandary. At some point you have to understand that you just cannot shut the world down. Not only are millions out of work, but eventually the world is going to run out of stuff, and stuff a lot more important than toilet paper and sliced bread. At some point you just have to be a leader and restart society, knowing that the out-party and others self-appointed experts are going to cry and whine about it.

The world will be back in gear long before football season.

Long term effects are that the live gate is going to be down, not just because lots of folks have taken a financial hit, but because some over-reactors will just avoid crowds and travel for years, if not the rest of their lives.

Whoever is posting using Sam’s account just stop!! These solidly constructed, logical & non fancy name calling (adhedonist!) thoughts are just not true to form!! I miss the old Sam....
I do agree with this one 100%!! Love the old men comment. Those old men sitting behind you @ the Joan who bitch & moan about EVERY poor play, grating on everyone else’s nerves, then stone silence while all the rest of us are celebrating a TD & giving high 10’s to our neighbors....high 10’s....a thing of the past?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT