ADVERTISEMENT

Herd Gear and Field Turf Questions

Feb 22, 2010
Hi All - First time poster long time reader:

I was hoping that someone on the forum may be able to help the out of state fans/alum with guidance on where to buy “good” Herd Gear. On-line it’s a lot of the generic apparel/hats, and perhaps that’s just the result of bad licensing or merchandising agreements. Glenn’s seems to have decent stuff, but rarely have stock in popular sizes. Would love to have MU put out decent gear like some of the larger programs do. Any help would be appreciated!

Additionally, I was wondering if any of those “in the know” have any idea what the new turf may look like. I have a lot of confidence in Mr. Spears, and I think the overall vision for the University and Athletics Dept. is trending in the right direction.

Go Herd!

Welcome... As for your first question, I have always had good luck with Glenn's or Hometown Sportswear in Barboursville. If you go on a football game weekend, it can get iffy on sizes (picked over) but both places tend to have pretty good inventory otherwise. The MU bookstore on campus is also a good place for quality stuff, but you will pay more for it (which I don't mind if it lasts more than one fall/winter).

The second question is tougher... I don't have any photos of what the turf will look like, but I do know we have a contract to have it replaced every X amount of years with the newest/best field turf available through our vendor. That being the case I am sure that our former AD approved whatever is going to be put down later this spring, so I have confidence it will look good.

Reactions: peyt38
Anyone know where to get golf club head covers? I've had a set for years but they are fading fast. I can't find them anywhere, but I assume our golf team has Herd specific gear for their clubs? Thanks.

Forget Hometown Sportswear. They no longer carry Marshall gear. Poster must not have been their in awhile.

Glenn's is the go to. Stadium Bookstore is good, too, but it is a bit more expensive with less inventory. You really have to go to Glenn's within the firs week of new inventory arriving for popular things...Hats, warm-ups, etc. Paul and Chris and the crew do a great job of trying to keep inventory in the store.

The turf is scheduled to be replaced every eight years...it just gets worn out.

2 years left on the manufacturer warranty of the current turf.

My daughter said she saw a tweet by MU equipment that seemed to indicate another big gear sale would be coming soon.

As far as the field goes, we paid some “consultant” and there is a page on the website about the logos and the fonts and all of that. AFAIK, the new field will look just like the old one, excepting the conference logos.

As far as the field goes, we paid some “consultant” and there is a page on the website about the logos and the fonts and all of that. AFAIK, the new field will look just like the old one, excepting the conference logos.
I think you are referencing an old post.

My daughter said she saw a tweet by MU equipment that seemed to indicate another big gear sale would be coming soon.
Do you know if that will be on-line sales or just in person? A lot of the good gear I have is from when I played in the early 2000’s but it’s worn down after all these years. The team issued stuff is usually pretty good. Thanks for sharing!

Additionally, I was wondering if any of those “in the know” have any idea what the new turf may look like. I have a lot of confidence in Mr. Spears, and I think the overall vision for the University and Athletics Dept. is trending in the right direction.

Go Herd!
Synthetic grass

Glenn's is the go to. Stadium Bookstore is good, too, but it is a bit more expensive with less inventory.
You will need a time machine if you want to go to Stadium Bookstore.

Do you know if that will be on-line sales or just in person? A lot of the good gear I have is from when I played in the early 2000’s but it’s worn down after all these years. The team issued stuff is usually pretty good. Thanks for sharing!
I think it’s just in person. Maybe some one else has more information. Someone said it’s supposed to be May 7th.

They truly need to make the Marshall M Kelly green this time. I'm not sure why they went away from that this last time. It really stands out on the field when they do.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I would also like to see the field outlined in our colors too. If you look at App. States turf, I think that looks really good. If we did something similar, you could outline in Kelly green, white, and black in a similar pattern. The end zones could even be colored as well. If there are any graphic design experts on here that have the time, it would be cool to see some renditions of what it could look like.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
They truly need to make the Marshall M Kelly green this time. I'm not sure why they went away from that this last time. It really stands out on the field when they do.
It was. It just didn’t last long before fading. The AstroTurf Rhino series was economical but faded very, very quickly.

And if you have twitter the three proposed fields are up and you can vote on them.

All feature the same Kelly green M on the 50 and the SBC logo on the 25. The difference is the end zones. Either grey with Kelly green MARSHALL outlined in black, Kelly green with white MARSHALL outlined in black, or black with white MARSHALL outlined in Kelly green.

I vote for green.

I saw a news article with the pictures on my phone and either the black or Kelly-green end zones look very nice. To me it is a toss-up.
What would have been super nice would have the playing field be Kelly-green color with a black end zone, when we could really make a statement that the Joan is Herd territory and any playing the Herd should be ready for some painful experiences. 🍻 :)

Wish they would alternate shades of green between the hashmarks on the field. My local HS just put new turf in and did this and it looks great in person. But I would be very happy with black end zones or Kelly green end zones and single shade of green on all of field. Just happy to get new turf lol

ADVERTISEMENT